brittym's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

What would you add to your Local Guides profile on Google Maps?

A picture’s worth a thousand words, but each Local Guide’s profile is worth much more! If you could showcase anything about yourself and your contributions to the Local Guides community, what would it be? What are you most interested to see about other Local Guides when you view their profiles and contributions?

Viewing a Local Guide’s contributions on mobile reveals their level and number of points, plus the numbers of each contribution type a Local Guide has made for reviews, ratings, photos, videos, answers, edits, places added, facts checked, and Q&A. You can also see the badges he or she has unlocked or is progressing toward. Check this information on your own profile any time by selecting My Contributions on mobile.

Caption: A screenshot of a Local Guide’s  profile on mobile where you can view their level and total points.Caption: A screenshot of a Local Guide’s profile on mobile where you can view their level and total points.Caption: A screenshot of a Local Guide's profile on mobile where you can view the badges they have earned or are progressing toward and their contribution types.Caption: A screenshot of a Local Guide's profile on mobile where you can view the badges they have earned or are progressing toward and their contribution types.We’re always interested in improving Google Maps and the Local Guides program based on what users have to say. So tell us, what profile information would you add or change and why? What would you like to see about other Local Guides on their profiles? We'd love to hear from you!

28 comments
Level 9

Re: What would you add to your Local Guides profile in Maps?

Total added POI

Total edited POI. 

These are two lines most matters to me. 

@brittym

Till date I've added 877 and edited 1406 POI's. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. I've always wanted to know how long some Local Guides have been Local Guides. So a phrase that said "Local Guide Since March, 2017" would be nice from my perspective. 

2. Sometimes we want more information about a Local guide's contributions under a category. For example, I would want to be able to click into the "added paces" category and see the region(s) a Local Guide has contributed to the most.

3. Lastly, the chosen image of each Local Guide is already on their public profile, however, unless the face is familiar, you can't get a clearer Image by simply clicking on the Image. I think it might be good if a click can enhance the visibility of a picture photo. 

Level 10

Hi @brittym

At first instance, it appears in my mind, to suggest,

1) To have separate listing of 360° Photos, like Video, and 360 points must be more than Still photo.

2) For all parameters, sorting must be introduced.

3) introduce Reference Number for whatever "Reported" to Google, so it will be easy to refer in subsequent discussion.

4) Some kind of indication or flag or grey mode, on any item "Reported"  by LG members.

5) Counter showing number of "Reports" by members and points for each Report, after validation.

Anything comes to my mind, I may add later.

Thanks.

Vijay Desai.

Level 10

@brittym

Just some suggestions/ideas:

1. Date. Since when is someone a Local Guide ?

2. A visual "hot zone" that shows where a LG has made most of the contributions.

3. Maybe a national/regional rank? That could motivate some to go beyond levels ..

@deepakjhic @Anonymous @VijayDesai @SuzanneBozz Really appreciate the feedback, so far! Keep it coming 🙂

Connect Moderator

What about the date of the last contribution? In terms of gamification, this could also serve as an incentive to some to contribute on a regular basis (as my assumption is that people - given the knowledge that this is publically shown - will want to make sure this is always very recent).

[Perhaps a bit edgy from privacy perspective, but then again there could be a option to switch this off in the privacy settings.]

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Hi @JanVanHaver, I do agree with you. Last time of contribution. Maybe at least the month.

I would show the country flag as well. What @SuzanneBozz writes about the region could be a option as well.

As well contributing in how many countries would be fun.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

I would say that any such additions should take into account delicate balancing between useful/cool metrics vs. privacy/security. For example, if someone is a harsh but fair critic, and a store owner really doesn't like their store review, does having something like a review heat map or pattern tracking put the reviewer at risk? I don't know what the answer is, but it's something to think about. Granted, info from reviews & ratings are public anyway, but it depends what kind of changes are being proposed.

Back to your question...

1. I'd also like to see date since becoming an LG.
  2. Contributions over time (graph). Maybe have user option to select whether it's made public or not.
  3. Having 360/VR/3D contributions being measured and listed separately from static photos or regular video is something that would be cool.
  4. A short tagline that users can write to describe themselves? Although this may just lead to more work, requiring some monitoring and censoring against abuse. Maybe more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks for considering!

3D photos — Cross-eyed Viewing (Stereoscopic and Anaglyph to come later, if there is interest)

I really appreciate the thought everyone is putting into their suggestions! Our LG community rocks ❤️