cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

What was ConnectLive 18 all about?

Header.jpg

Hello Everyone

I am sure you guys are still going through ConnectLive18 posts, re-caps and personal takes on the event. Here's my version of CL18 ...

Well, for me, #CL18 was all about passion, focus, commitment, friendship, fun, sheer drive to excel and on top of all it was all about being part of one global family working for the same cause20181015_165149-COLLAGE.jpg

Having met so many great individuals, from different backgrounds, beautiful countries and having incredible stories to tell - it was pure luxury, it energizes you and drives you to a point where you actually start feeling/living the #localguides brand itself.

Every individual at CL18 had a certain skillset and a very different and inspiring story to tell, all of which was beautifully curated and presented to the world by the CL18 team. (Kudos/Likes/Thumbs Up)

Let me quickly share the insights and my personal story behind ConnectLive 18.

Connect Live 2018 was more of a fight for me than passion, as I got rejected last year and lost the will to carry on until one fine day when @SP31 came to rescue and pushed me for CL18 - Salut !! Respect !!

And after that, it was about ...

Contribution Period: a well over the best part of my creative life ?
Application Period: 2 weeks of gruelling (story boarding/cut/re-takes/packups/post-production)
Application Wait Period: Those 50-ish days for me, the toughest of all that I could remember
Visa/Prep Period: Another good 3 months
Hangout Sessions: A month and a half of pure luxury to know some of the best people I met my entire life. I'd like to call them 'My people'.
Flight Times: Just about 23 hrs ...

The Big Day:  Let's talk about it

• It was incredible, an experience you cannot properly express in a single post (you must work hard to pave your way in for CL19 to experience it).
  • Walking around SF City, the moment you see #LocalGuides logo or find a location of a fellow local guide from HO (Hangouts), you just go crazy (the rush, the walk, hugs and whatnots - reminds me of my college days).
  • The moderators were so kind and organized to keep us updated with information before/during/after the event.
  • Special Thanks to @KarenVChin & @KimberlyAnnG, for the local knowledge. If you are coming in for CL19 for the first time(lets hope you are), you must not miss any post or HO discussion from them.
  • I absolutely loved @PaulPavlinovich's Photo Walk, as at one point it took us through very prominent areas of the city, on the other hand, we had ample time on our hands to get to know each other better.
    paul.jpg

@KarenVChin & @ermest's Clearn The World project was just necessary to give us a feeling of responsibility, sense of accomplishment and drive to serve our communities more.
Karen.jpg

• Hang on, how can I miss the ConnectLive Lounge? Super nice idea (thanks @TraciC & @brittym for that). Absolutely loved interacting with 'My People' there.
    Lounge.jpg

• I would like to mention here that next year, please fill out those forms carefully because you have to be in the right breakout session to make a difference ?
  • I absolutely loved the breakdown-sessions the next day where we got chance to provide our feedback to the program.
  • OK, the reception part. Its not like any other ball room reception. It is like one of those Fresher Night Parties we used to have during College (Please watch the Videos and Pictures because words cannot do justice here)

• The evening receptions were well planned, carefully chosen venues and lots of fun activities to do (See the video above, I guess it covers some of the best bits ? )
  • Food. Well, you get a year's supply of food on CL, loved it !!
  • The biggest excitement? Yep, going to Google Campus. It was a very unique and mesmerizing feeling for me. It was pretty much like going to your favorite theater, to watch your favorite movie with your best mates (a dream come true, as they say).
  • I loved the campus tour and the sessions we had.
  • 20181018_130450_HDR.jpg
  • The late night party was amazing and we had great fun from nominations/celebrations to music & weird lights.
  • RICHOH THETA V, very very happy to get one ( @DDuangnet could you please post 'The crazy Unboxing Video' :D)
    Finally, the wrap-up. A tonne of gifts/souveniers from #localguides, memories, ideas and passion to do more.
    If I could summarize CL18 in one line, it is going to be this
    "Passion, Perfection, Cause, Action, Lifelong Friendship & Peace"

I am very thankful to Google once again for this amazing opportunity.

To all Googlers - who spent so much time and energy I need to say that you guys are beautiful.

To all moderators- I am so glad we met in person. I can comfortably say that Google picked the best from the community, hands down, you guys rock.

To CL18 attendees - I miss you guys, I wish it could last forever (but nevermind, we're friends for life)

To Fellow Local Guides around the world - Let's make this world a beautiful place and let's map it all up ?

Cheers

P.S. Here's the Link to my Shared Album 

Penang, Malaysia
40 comments
Level 10

Re: What was ConnectLive 18 all about?

Connect Moderator

oh thanks a lot @LucioV

I really hope that I get to meet you during CL19 and learn pro 360 tricks 🙂

Former Google Contributor

I really loved reading this, @OmerAli. It was a delight to meet you in person! I'm glad you decided to re-apply for the event and that Steve helped give you the push you needed. You made my Monday! 🙂 As for the suggestions you have around selecting sessions and your feedback about food, parties, the Local Guides Lounge, and more - we hear you! Thanks for sharing.

Connect Moderator

@OmerAli Just want to say awesome RECAP for Connect live 18. Seems You had the best time there with all lucky Local Guides. 

Hope meet you in future...

Happy Guiding !!

Level 8

Svar: What was ConnectLive 18 all about?

Fantastic recap! 😍 

Connect Moderator

Thanks @brittym

Really appreciate it. I just cannot wait for CL19.

🙂

Connect Moderator

Thanks @ShafiulB

I absolutely had the best time of my life because I had the best people around me .CL18 was magical and phenomenal. I hope to see you in CL19 

Connect Moderator

Svar: What was ConnectLive 18 all about?

Thanks @Linnéa

Now I hope to see your Re-cap for CL18 and your Japan Tour

Connect Moderator

Beautiful video and great recap, @OmerAli - I appreciate the fact that you persevered and didn't let a rejection last year stop you. You're incredible and you are very caring and beyond compassionate about Local Guides - you're a fine example of why we do what we do and I'm so glad to have met you. It definitely will not be the last! Thanks for sharing the memories!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall