AnnaDickson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

What to look for when taking accessibility photos

One of the most helpful things we can do as Local Guides is add photos on Google Maps showing accessible places. These photos aid people with mobility issues in navigating places they want to go. As part of #LetsGuide, a celebration of everything that inspires us to share info as Local Guides, here are my tips for taking helpful photos that guide people with accessibility needs.

To start, keep in mind that some of the places you’d never think to photograph might be the most helpful for someone else. Consider hardware stores, grocery stores, and everything in between. Once you’ve settled on a spot, here’s what to keep in mind for great photos:

A wheelchair accessible ramp at a local park. (Getty Images)A wheelchair accessible ramp at a local park. (Getty Images)

Tip 1: Look for accessibility signage

The easiest thing you can do when taking photos for accessibility is to look for signs. If you see signage noting a spot is accessible, photographing it is the first step in making sure someone knows that they might be able to go to that place.

A bar used for stability in an accessible restroom. (Getty Images)A bar used for stability in an accessible restroom. (Getty Images)

Tip 2:    If there’s no direct signage, look for other accessibility clues

Sometimes there isn’t clear signage about accessibility, but you can look for other clues about a place that might be helpful for others. Here are some things to look for and photograph: railings in restrooms, spacing between tables, and wheelchair-accessible ramps at entrances and exits. Use your photo’s caption to provide more details.

A wheelchair accessible ramp in front of a store.A wheelchair accessible ramp in front of a store.

Tip 3:  Make sure your photos clearly show the whole story

Shoot wider shots as well as tighter shots to give a full picture of how accessible a place is. Photos of signs up close are certainly helpful, but a wide shot showing as much of the location as you can will give somebody with accessibility needs a true feel for the spot, ensuring that they feel comfortable going to the place you’re recommending.

Are you somebody who uses accessibility info on Google Maps to make decisions about where to go? Tell everyone in the comments: What can other Local Guides do to help you know if a place is accessible?

106 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: What to look for when taking Accessibility Photos

Thank you. Not about all I did know and wouldn’t remember. Very valuable.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I agree with you . This is nice responsible. 

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this useful tips @AnnaDickson

AccessibilityAccessibility

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Hello @AnnaDickson Most inspiring content I'm agree with you...

Level 9

thanks for sharing @AnnaDickson 🙂

Screenshot_20180517-172632.jpg

Level 10

Thanks for sharing @AnnaDickson. These are very useful tips.

Hey @OSAMA Nice one photo you got there, thanks for sharing.

Level 9

Thank you @HelloSamsonR , 

Now i am really searching about accessablity entrances and routes ,

This program is life changing ....

Level 10

I will edit some of my reviews to add the detail again @AnnaDickson. I never cared of railings that are used in the buildings. I thought they are for normal purpose but just noticed they can be helpful for accessibility. Sometimes we remained unnoticed about a thing. I felt it now. A heartiest thanks for sharing this post Anna.

Level 10

@AnnaDickson, awesome tips, thanks for sharing useful article with us! 

Sincerely, 

Adrian

Adriansyah PuteraFlickr