Tchoa's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

What to do when your 2y 1Tb / 100Gb Drive promotion ends?

I may not be of the earliest Local Guides, but I subscribed to the program about two years ago, and as I was already very active commenting on Maps, so I got the 1Tb Drive free space promotion. It will end in a few months.
I guess some other Local Guides are in the same situation. And I also guess some of them don’t know what to do. Here is a little walk-through guide :

1st option: Did you use that space?
You can tell that on the Drive home page and have details on this page : https://drive.google.com/settings/storage

Espace de stockage Google Drive.png
In my case, you can see that I did not. But if you did, what are the next options?

2nd option: Are you willing to pay for that online storage space?
If yes, you can do so on the same page.

Espace de stockage Google Drive - Forfaits.png
First two options are not too expensive, but I could not figure out how to use the one year prepaid discount. If you want to replace the whole 1Tb space, it will cost you about $120 per year. It is a rock solid option because Google Drive is very secure, as long as you secure your Google account; always available and it comes with 1st class online tools.
But if you don’t want to pay, what can you do?

Last option: download your data and erase them from the cloud

Step 1 - Prepare some free local space for backup.
I recommend SD thumb cards: they are cheap, very common and easy to store. And also recommend you take two of them: one for backup, one for use.
Don’t forget that you also need temporary free space on a local drive to unzip your backup.

Step 2 - Get you data from Google with “My Account” page
Go to the “Personal information” section of the “My Account” page, here https://myaccount.google.com/privacy and scroll down to the “Download your data” card. Hit the “Create an archive” to proceed.

Informations personnelles et confidentialité - backup card.png

There you can select the data you want to download. If you are only on your Drive space, you can hit the “Unselect all” and reselect only Drive, Gmail and Photos. You have many options for partial download or file types. Take notes of your selection for later.

Télécharger vos données.png
Then you can hit “Next Step” and set options for the zip file. Note that you can send it directly to OneDrive ou Dropbox. The default option send you an email with a link to the archive within a few hours depending of its size.

Télécharger vos données - etape 2.png
Download the zip file and unzip it onto the prepared free space.

Step 3 - Delete online the data you have saved locally.

Pro tips :

1. Don’t delete everything if you want to keep on using the account. Keep your ongoing work and structure, your last mails and the photos you really care about.
  2. Start with the biggest from Drive, Gmail and Photos
  3. In Drive, start with the biggest files. You can find them with this link : https://drive.google.com/drive/quota
  4. In Gmail, start with email with big attached files, you can find searching “larger:10M” or something equivalent.

It looked as an interesting promotion from Google at first. Indeed it was a nice move. But I would have liked Google to provide us with some proactive support now so I don’t have to write this tutorial.

Check out my Paris Local Guides community

Cheers!

5 comments
Level 9

Re: What to do when your 2y 1Tb / 100Gb Drive promotion ends?

Hi @Tchoa,

Thumbs up for this post. Here are two other post in which me and our connect moderator @ErmesT tried to explain well. 

1. By ermest this one. 
  2. By me this
Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Former Google Contributor

Hey @Tchoa,

Thanks for taking the time to craft this guide. Very useful indeed!

Thanks!

Georges

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 7

Hi @deepakjhic

Thanks!

I saw ermest's post but not yours.

As you can see from my snapshots I don't use the compression option for my photos. I guess some other people do the same on purpose like me and don't want to switch. Some may have used the free space and are anxious now. I searched and found nothing about that issue in Google's help sites or forums. I hope people in need will find this post so they have all the options.

Hi @GeorgesHR. Thank you for the nice comments!

Level 10

Thanks for this brief info @Tchoa,

My Google drive condition is this: 43.49 GB (289%) of 15 GB used

Today I have bought the external HDD to free up the drive.

Level 6

Thanks, very informative. We now know our options in such a situation.