ColinUKtyke's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What to do in the UK if someone objects to a Local Guide taking photo of a private property ?

I was taking a photograph of a new build group of houses from the road outside the estate of properties. A member of the public came out of one of the houses to ask what I was doing. I explained that I was adding new information onto Google Maps. The man asked if I had any formal identification and I explained that I was doing this a service to community to keep the maps up to date. The man asked if I would remove the photograph of his house so not wanting to cause a fuss and create bad public relations I showed the man my tablet screen whilst he observed me delete the photograph that included his house.

I was just wondering what the legal position is regarding my photography legally in the UK ? Any thoughts or opinions of what happened and what I did gratefully received!

UK
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 6
Solution

Re: What to do in the UK if someone objects to a Local Guide taking photo of a private property ?

Hi @ColinUKtyke

http://maps.google.com/help/photospolicy_maps.html

This is the link to Google Maps Photos and Videos Policy. Have a read of this but in regards to your legal position in the UK I suggest going to your local government website.

Hope this somewhat helps 🙂 

Cya Bye, Erin Coxall

View solution in original post

Level 6
Solution

Re: What to do in the UK if someone objects to a Local Guide taking photo of a private property ?

Hi @ColinUKtyke

This is the link to Google Maps Photos and Videos Policy. Have a read of this but in regards to your legal position in the UK I suggest going to your local government website.

Cya Bye, Erin Coxall

Level 9

I can see it from both sides. Technically you did nothing wrong - it's a public space - but it may cause some security concerns for the residents. 

There's been some people locally commenting on a fb group about people taking photos outside their houses - most of the responses said they should have taken a photo of the person taking the photo and report to police in case they were planning something. A couple of (possibly more rational) folk suggested that maybe they were taking a picture cos they liked their fence or garden, and wanted to do something similar. 

Sadly so many people always assume the worst these days.

Depending on the quality of the picture, there may have been details given away that are a cause for concern. Google's Street View car went past out old house whilst there was a wheelchair and waling frame outside - no people - and the front door left open. Had I known they were coming I'd have shut the door (and mowed the lawn of course)!

Level 8

Thanks for the considered thoughts Steve.

I suppose I was overreacting after a difficult situation but from the house owners position he was trying to maintain some privacy.

I wonder if anyone objected to the images taken by Google Street views?

Thanks Steve for taking the time to reply in such a positive and sympathetic manner

Level 9

Yes, people complained about SV imagery... probably just because the weather was bad in some of the pictures.

Level 7

Hi, yes, same thing happened to me as well while I was taking picture of business places. I think, best way is to use your common sense and avoid being in any dispute or trouble as this is voluntary work and for the betterment of the community. If a person doesn't like it then we should first try to educate them ( as you did) and if they still don't understand, we should leave it.

Level 8

@EMJC Hi! could you update your link to the Google Maps Photos and Videos Policy? Thanks so much!

@EMJC wrote:

Hi @ColinUKtyke

Cya Bye, Erin Coxall

Paul Bender