WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

What should I absolutely not do when visiting your country?

(c) monipag.com(c) monipag.com

Kindly share what i should absolutely not do when visiting your country?

Nairobi City County, Nairobi, Kenya
5 comments
Level 10

Re: What should I absolutely not do when visiting your country?

Hi @WaweruM interesting thread.

I will reply regarding my city, as Italy is wide and there are many differences between cities and surroundings.

In Rome, never, never, go around the city with a lot of cash in your pocket/bag.

In public transportations, always keep your values on the front side, not in the back (in your trousers, or in a bag).

Leave your passport at the hotel.

Don't be fooled by tourist traps in the center; some are good restaurants, but many are only fake ancient roman restaurants; ask your local local guide.

Buy in advance tickets for Vatican Museum, you will skip a very long line.

If you want to ride like a local, you can rent a scooter, but remember that romans traffic rules are really different from the rest of the world!

Level 10

Thank you @LucioV for the tips

Here is what you should not do in Nairibi, Kenya

1. Refrain from using foreign currency

2. Do not take people’s picture without their consent

3. Do not carry valuables around

4. Do not explore the city on your own

5. No fanny-pack or waist wallet

6. Tipping is OK although not mandatory in most places. A tip of $5 (or equivalent) is acceptable for most services.

7. Do not display your valuables to the world; this will keep you from being the target of theft.

And many more

Level 10

Very nice thread @WaweruM

If you are planning to come India. Keep in mind these below things. 

India can be a wee bit unnerving for the first-time visitor. The lifestyle and culture is totally different from the West.  Basically our country is famous for - vivid culture, cricket, Bollywood film industry, festivals, spirituality, population, freedom struggle, food and of course Taj Mahal.   

DONT's

• Do not wear shoes inside a temple (religious place) or home
  • Do not eat food or pass objects with your left hand
  • Do not point your finger or touch anything with your feet
  • Do not wear skimpy clothes
  • Do not expect punctuality
  • Do not show affection in public
  • Do not be offended by probing questions 
  • Do not expect to pay for everything with a credit card
  • Do not drink or smoke in public places and don’t do drugs!
  • Do not expect everyone to speak English
  • Do not think of beef (strictly prohibited)
  • DO NOT address those elder to you by name
  • DO NOT trust people easily 
  • Leather articles are forbidden to be carried in most of the Hindu and Jain temples. Taking photograph of the deity in a temple is normally not permitted.
DO's
  • It is advisable to cover yourself with travel insurance for thefts, loss and medi-claim.
  • Carry proper maps of the places proposed to visit in India, as signboards are often absent. 
  • Try to reach a station during daytime if traveling on your own.
  • In any case avoid persistent touts and taxi-wallahs at airport/stations/bus stand to help you find your hotel.
  • Always use tourist assistance desk for proper advice.
  • Women traveling alone in certain deserted places should avoid walking at odd hours.
  • One should cover his/her head with a cloth while in a Gurudwara or Dargah. 
  • Take care of proper disposal of your rubbish always whether you are exploring desert, or Himalayas or beaches or anywhere else.
  • Always drink safe mineral water and take well-cooked food.
  • Don't eat anything offered by fellow travelers on train or road travels. It might have sleeping pills. Always travel reserved class in trains.
  • Always chain and lock your luggage under your berth in a train. Don't keep anything valuable near the window. Always carry plenty of water, fluids in trains. A lone woman traveler may request to be accommodated near other women travelers.
  • Don't tip unreasonably and unnecessarily in a hotel. The NEWS soon spreads in the hotel and by the time you checkout there will be a group of them saluting you to expect something.

Lastly I will say, there is always exceptional for everything. Better contact any LG, we will love to help you in exploring our incredible India

Level 10

@NandKK Thank you for sharing, this is really  eye opening.

Level 10

@WaweruM yeah these will be really helpful  to the people / tourist, who are planning to visit India.