WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: What should I absolutely not do when visiting the USA?

@ipm001Thank you for the Detailed information, am sure it will also help other members in this forum.

Level 10

@ipm001 wrote:

8. Never ever (and I mean ever) try to make jokes on/with/about weapons. Don't even try

to carry a water pistol, a wooden replica, or anything like that. No one, especially the Police,

will ever think that it's a joke. BTW: Police is very helpful, courteous, and professional especially

with visitors and tourists as long as they respect local rules.

This

Level 6

"8. Never ever (and I mean ever) try to make jokes on/with/about weapons. Don't even try

to carry a water pistol, a wooden replica, or anything like that. No one, especially the Police" 

I was under the impression that people can freely carry firearms in the United States...unless there is different?

Level 10

Hi @zacharywheeler:

No, that's not the case ..... fortunately.

If you are a citizen or legal alien you could more or less freely own firearm. There are Federal

and local State rules to follow (and the law is strictly enforced) but you can have one if you

want to. (Hunting rules are sometimes different.)  BUT   ---  and this is the point ---- there's a

huge difference between "own" and "carry". If you legally own a firearm, that is you took courses,

proved you are responsible, completed and submitted paperwork, paid sometimes hefty fees,

then you have to follow very strict (I mean VERY strict) rules to carry one. Different states are more

or less strict (you could find local regulations on the net). Sometimes you can't carry a gun at public

places that's freely visible (concealed weapon law), most of the times you can't carry one if it's loaded,

etc. etc. I'm not a lawyer and/or law enforcement officer so I could only give you some insights

on the fact that people can't carry firearms freely in the USA.

Level 9

Hi,

I think it would be great to review both the national & local news outlets that you are prone to visit.  You can 

learn about all the many fears, prejudices, laws, customs, and anxieties that we have here, as well as, regional

differences.  What goes on in NYC is very different than in Hawaii.  Both are multi-ethnic, but both have different

prejudices & fears [like the latest fears of a NK nuke attack].  In Hawaii, if you look "White", you are likely to be labeled a Haole

regardless if you are from Norway, South Africa, or NYC.  In NY, you can say that you are from let say Germany

& you may get a more specific response. Even though it is a democracy, if you are not familiar with the various

sub-cultures, I would avoid any controversy. 

Whatever you think about drugs....leave them at home, if you can.  If you need to bring essential drugs that are

not addictive nor controlled in the USA, keep them in a bottle than you received from a Pharmacy.  Do not pack

loose pills that are unlabelled.  The DUI laws here are very strict and do include anything that IMPAIRS driving

including a moped.   I have know at least one person get a DUI on Lithium for instance.  If the drug has sedative

potential, such as an antihistamine or cold medication, it can impair your driving & you will be responsible.

The laws/ customs here on what may be considered harassment, assault, and battery can be confusing.  Let's

say to get someone's attention to ask a question, you happen to tap them on the shoulder.  In legal &

practical terms that could be looked at as battery, and is against the law.  In terms of touching people, even

medical professionals who save a life performing critical CPR when off-duty have been sued for damages.

It is a country in which the laws are confusing at best, even for those here.

Try to avoid densely packed crowded or places where others are intoxicated...such as dance clubs.

Any litigation may result in all kinds of problems, even if you are the "victim".

In truth, in this day and age, it is often scary enough for a American to avoid getting in a hassle.

I have a doctor friend who was hit by a car, and then those people who hit him, got out & then

punched him.....they are now suing the victim...my friend.

While in the vast majority of cases, you will not have a problem here, but you should be even

more cautious than we are.

In any case, please enjoy your trip.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Paul 

Level 9

Hi,

No your impression is NOT correct & is a myth in many cases.  People are NOT free to carry firearms unrestricted anywhere they want.  That relatively

unrestricted "right" only pertains to those who are certain types of Peace Officers, in accordance with their duties.

It is true that in limited cases, people may buy & own firearms to keep at home....and even then, they must have locks on them & are 

regulated.  Some may be used for limited hunting in certain situations and subject to all kinds of rules/laws.

For the rare person, who can justify it for obvious safety issues, there is a difficult path to getting what is called a concealed carry

permit [open carry is yet another situation].  This is heavily regulated, especially in California, and the rules vary widely by county/city 

and not state.  You must be approved by the local Sheriff's office, have an FBI check, pay fees, follow all sorts of rules, take a 1-2

day course, and have letters of support.  

Where the law is confusing is in the states where it is in theory allowed to carry a rifle in full view in limited situations.  The abuse of 

this open carry law was unfortunately seen around the world at some protests.  These abuses do result in even more laws being 

past to address the obvious.

Either way, as others have stated, do not talk about nor handle firearms without really knowing what you are doing.  Even if you

have a friend who takes you to a legal firing range to practice...you should at first take a basic firearm safety course.

In general, I would avoid bothering with guns, sex, or drugs when you are in a foreign country.  

Remember that ignorance of the law is no excuse, anywhere.

Thanks,

Paul 🙂

Level 10

Hi @Malarik:

Although I think your posts in this thread are really great you'd scare visitors off ...   🙂  🙂  🙂

I also think you summarized the most important facts in one of your sentences: avoid drugs,

sex, guns, and common sense trouble. Visit nice places and enjoy your trip. Just like you'd normally

do at home and/or anywhere else. (Except visitors are not supposed to make money in the US.)

Thanks.

Level 10

@zacharywheelerI had the same impression too, looks like i was wrong

@zacharywheeler wrote:

"8. Never ever (and I mean ever) try to make jokes on/with/about weapons. Don't even try

to carry a water pistol, a wooden replica, or anything like that. No one, especially the Police" 

I was under the impression that people can freely carry firearms in the United States...unless there is different?

Level 10

@ipm001Meaning how you handle a firearm depends on the state you are in

@ipm001 wrote:

Hi @zacharywheeler:

No, that's not the case ..... fortunately.

If you are a citizen or legal alien you could more or less freely own firearm. There are Federal

and local State rules to follow (and the law is strictly enforced) but you can have one if you

want to. (Hunting rules are sometimes different.)  BUT   ---  and this is the point ---- there's a

huge difference between "own" and "carry". If you legally own a firearm, that is you took courses,

proved you are responsible, completed and submitted paperwork, paid sometimes hefty fees,

then you have to follow very strict (I mean VERY strict) rules to carry one. Different states are more

or less strict (you could find local regulations on the net). Sometimes you can't carry a gun at public

places that's freely visible (concealed weapon law), most of the times you can't carry one if it's loaded,

etc. etc. I'm not a lawyer and/or law enforcement officer so I could only give you some insights

on the fact that people can't carry firearms freely in the USA.

Level 7

I think, listening to Voice of America from our own country by our national language as VOA broadcast in many different languages in the world, will be very beneficial, as we can listen it now using our smartphone. 

Keep guiding

Saefudin Sardi