kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

What’s your dream vacation itinerary?

When it comes to vacation, I prefer exploring a new city to lounging on a beach chair at a resort (though, I wouldn’t exactly say no to that!). I’ve been lucky enough to be able to explore quite a few European cities over the past few years, zig-zagging my way from Paris to Stockholm to Zagreb to Riga and more, but there’s one fairly common destination that still sits on my travel to-do list: London.

Admittedly, it’s not the most exciting dream vacation, but with a not-so-secret obsession with the Royal Family stemming from Meghan Markle’s wedding to Prince Harry and an interest in European history and literature (mainly British monarchy-based historical fiction, if I’m being honest), I can’t get London out of my head. Here’s what’s on my dream vacation itinerary.

Buckingham Palace

What trip to London would be complete without a trip to the Queen’s house? Ideally, I’d love to be able to go when the Queen is out and the state rooms are open to visitors so I can catch a glimpse of what it’s like to be a Windsor.

Caption: A photo of Buckingham Palace in London showing the imposing stone exterior, the gold statue in front of it, and rows of red tulips and other flowers in a garden in the foreground. (Local Guide Tyler Robb)Caption: A photo of Buckingham Palace in London showing the imposing stone exterior, the gold statue in front of it, and rows of red tulips and other flowers in a garden in the foreground. (Local Guide Tyler Robb)

Sketch

I’ve seen this place in so many social media posts over the past year and I am determined to experience their high tea (with Champagne!) and futuristic bathroom pods for myself. I imagine I’ll feel like a very fancy British lady.

Caption: A photo of the interior of the London restaurant Sketch, showing its pink velvet chairs, banquets, and walls, as well as tables set with wine glasses and the bar. (Local Guide Cat Morley)Caption: A photo of the interior of the London restaurant Sketch, showing its pink velvet chairs, banquets, and walls, as well as tables set with wine glasses and the bar. (Local Guide Cat Morley)

The British Library 

The library’s catalog has over 150 million items in it, making it one of the largest in the world. Special items include two copies of the Magna Carta, Jane Austen’s childhood notebook, Leonardo da Vinci's notebook, and more.

Caption: A photo of the interior of The British Library in London, showing people reading and working on laptops on multiple floors that overlook an atrium with a glass enclosure full of books. (Local Guide scott sworts)Caption: A photo of the interior of The British Library in London, showing people reading and working on laptops on multiple floors that overlook an atrium with a glass enclosure full of books. (Local Guide scott sworts)

Kensington Palace

Though Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will have likely moved on to the Windsor Estate by the time I make it there, I’d still like to drop by and pay my respects to Will and Kate (the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge). It's been a royal residence since the 17th century.

Caption: A photo of the brick exterior of Kensington Palace, showing the green lawn surrounded by a gate with ornate gold detailing with a small black dog in front of it. (Local Guide Mariusz B.)Caption: A photo of the brick exterior of Kensington Palace, showing the green lawn surrounded by a gate with ornate gold detailing with a small black dog in front of it. (Local Guide Mariusz B.)

Westminster Abbey

The Abbey has seen so much history! All coronations of English and British monarchs have taken place here as well as 16 royal marriages, including Prince Charles’s marriage to Princess Diana and Prince William’s marriage to Kate Middleton (which I woke up at 5 a.m. to watch live!).

Caption: A photo of the imposing, Gothic-style stone exterior of Westminster Abbey in London and the lawn in front of it. (Local Guide Magaly Soto)Caption: A photo of the imposing, Gothic-style stone exterior of Westminster Abbey in London and the lawn in front of it. (Local Guide Magaly Soto)

If I manage to make this dream a reality in 2019 like I hope to, Tokyo will quickly take its place! What’s your dream vacation itinerary? Tell us in the comments below!

21 comments
Google Moderator

Re: What’s your dream vacation itinerary?

Another great post @kmajewski!

London is worth visiting. It is so versatile that you won't have enough time to see and experience everything. I had the chance to visit it twice so far and each time was extraordinary.

I do recommend to include the Victoria and Albert Museum in your itinerary if you are interested in art and design from around the world. Another great place is the Natural History Museum. Its building reminds me of Hogwarts. 

I currently dream of visiting the Amalfi Coast in Italy. I heard about it two years ago and I was fascinated by its beauty. I started searching for different places to visit once I go there. 

The first thing I would do is to explore all the small stepped villages located along the coast. One of them is Amalfi

After that, I want to visit the small island called Capri. I have heard so many stories about it that I cannot take it out of my mind.

And last but not least, I hope to see Pompeii which is very close to Mount Vesuvius.

Caption: A photo showing a village on the Amalfi Coast in Italy (Local Guide Diego Fragueiro)Caption: A photo showing a village on the Amalfi Coast in Italy (Local Guide Diego Fragueiro)Caption: An aerial view of Capri (Local Guide Uwe Modest)Caption: An aerial view of Capri (Local Guide Uwe Modest)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

It's a fantastic iternary for dream vacation!

Thanks @kmajewski for your inspirational post.

From this moment I want to visit London too)))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cześć @MoniDi 😊 Capri koniecznie! Cudowna wyspa artystów. Łatwo jest się dostać z Neapolu.

Hi @kmajewski,

Cool post, thanks for sharing.

Even if I wasn't planning to visit London, after your post I would definitely do. My next dream vacation itinerary is St Petersburg, Russia. 

There are many must-visit places like the Saint Isaac's Cathedral, Hermitage Museum, Church of the Savior on Blood, Catherine Palace, Russian Museum and more.

Troika is a wonderful russian restaurant, which cannot be missed. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

I really enjoyed your post @kmajewski, thanks fro sharing.

I've been to London once before, but reading through your post made me realise I have to go again. There are too many sites I haven't seen!

Currently I'm dreaming of a long journey through southeast Asia. This is a must for me, but I have a hard time choosing my itinerary as I can't stand the thought of missing out on something awesome.

Another thing that has been on my mind for a while is a journey on the Trans-Mongolian railway. I would love to experience the life on the train and spending some time in places like Irkutsk and Ulaan Baatar before reaching Beijing as my final stop.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hey @Anonymous,

Great advice. Thank you! I was thinking of taking a flight to Rome and then go to Capri by train. Now you give me a great idea to visit Milan. I haven't seen it yet so I can kill two birds with one stone as the saying goes. 

Have you been to Capri yourself?

Hi @kmajewski,

Thanks for sharing these great places and photos in London. I haven't been there yet and I will use your list when I manage to visit it. Otherwise I would like to visit Moscow, St. Petersburg, Philipines and Melbourne.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Thank you very much for perfect post and idea to share our dream @kmajewski

As for me my dream is - to visit  New York.

I dream to visit Statue of Liberty,Time Square, Manhattan.

Best wishes,

Level 9

Hello @Petra_M

Is is great pleasure to hear that you like to visit St.Petersburg in Russia.

It is the most beautiful city in Russia!

It is worth to visit.

Welcome to Russia !

In Moscow I will be your guide!

Best wishes,

Inga