Victoria_v's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What new have you seen this year?

Today is the last month of the year. Let's remember what interesting we saw this year and what we shared on Google maps. 

This year I visited one new region in the USA - Alaska. And one new country - Canada.

I saw a large glacier - Hubbard Glacier  for the first time. Ice floated around our ship. I was very impressed.

Have you been to a new country? Have you been to a nearby town? You found a new place in your city and shared it on Google maps. Tell us about the findings of this year.

Hubbard Glacier, Аляска, США
20 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: What new have you seen this year?

Wow, thanks for sharing @Victoria_v I have admired Alaska from afar (Australia!) and do want to visit in winter sometime. This year at Local Guides Connect I met an Alaskan and we chatted about the state and its beauty and when would be the best and safest times to do a winter visit. It's a small world :).

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich I visited Australia several years ago, it is a very beautiful country. I was impressed by nature, flora and fauna. In Alaska, nature is different, but also very beautiful. But Australia is far to the south, and Alaska is far to the north. It takes me a long time to get to both Alaska and Australia. Because there is no opportunity to visit these places often. But I hope to be there in the future. These are places where you want to return. 

It is customary for you, but I was amazed that in the cities of Australia you can find ibis on the street. For the first ibis, which I saw in Sydney, I ran for a long time with a camera. ))

0_1205aa_eb4222eb_XL

Your decision to go to Alaska is very correct. But you are very brave, because in Australia and Alaska there is a very big temperature difference. I was there in the summer and it was pretty cold. I do not like when it is cold. But when around such beautiful nature I forget about the cold.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Victoria_v we call Ibis "bin chickens" because they are always rooting around in rubbish bins scattering litter all over the place looking for food.

I'm about 900km south of Sydney in Melbourne.

Cold is ok as long you're prepared for it and have a place to shelter. Not even our ski resorts get anywhere near as cold as Alaska though!

Regards Paul

Level 10

Nice thread @Victoria_v!

This year I had some memorable moments with something new.

The view from the top of Half Dome

Me on the top of Half DomeMe on the top of Half Dome

Brighton beach

Brighton seasideBrighton seaside

An august snow storm

Schermata 2018-08-28 alle 11.22.15.png

The wonderful Brockwell park in London

Brockwell ParkBrockwell Park

A strange ex-orphanage in Rome

Ex orphanage - MarciglianaEx orphanage - Marcigliana

Level 8

@PaulPavlinovich Thank you, you expanded my horizons! That's what it means to be captured by stereotypes.  😀 I thought that Australia is a country of eternal summer and the snow for you is as exotic as for me a koala. I read about Australia - about bush, about Uluru, about the Great Barrier Reef. Amazing country Australia! I did not know that there are ski resorts in Australia. I looked at photos of ski resorts. There is a lot of snow! And even the Australian skiers were Olympic medalists.

Level 8

@LucioV Great photos! Most of all I liked the view from the top of Half Dome. I would like to visit such a place. I saw pictures of the Troll Language in Norway. A bit like this photo. But there is a flat plateau, and here the stones are somehow unstable.

Level 10

Level 8

Even this year I saw how the Hawaiian lei were weaving and I myself learned how to weave them.

02035-800x450

Unfortunately, I can not mark this place on Google maps, because it was on a ship HAL Noordam somewhere between Vancouver and Honolulu. ))

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Victoria_v,

Thank you so much for the photos!

I have always been fascinated by Alaska and the arctic wildlife. I hope i can go there one day. 

This year I got my dream fulfilled of visiting Rome and the Colosseum in particular. I had wanted to see Rome ever since I was a child and this year in the spring i finally went there. I loved Rome and will definitely be back again, but I think I will aim for a winter visit next time. 

The Colosseum, captured by Local Guide MortenSIThe Colosseum, captured by Local Guide MortenSI

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!