DanielTh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

What is this called ? :)

If I shared this top-view pic of the bread, very few would identify what it is.

Top viewTop view

Is it just a bread slice or is something more to it?

When you start looking into finer details, you’ll realize there is a dark-red paste-type filling between the bread.

IMG_20190105_164806.jpg

What is it? Is it beetroot paste? Or a brown jelly?

IMG_20190105_164755.jpg

To your surprise you’ll find that the stuffing is a tasty paste of dry-fruits, tutty fruity and some coconut.

This famous snack of Hyderabad is called Dil-Khush which literally translates to “Happy Heart” (Dil means Heart, Khush means Happy). Its mildly sweet & not spicy.

Depending on the filling between the bread, its got 2 names:

1. If the filling is made of dry-fruits, Tutty fruity and some coconut flavour, its called Dil Pasand
  2. If the filling is made of finely minced dough with grated coconut, its called Dill Khush

IMG_20190105_165317 maps done.jpg

So next time you are in Hyderabad, India do try out this interesting snack which you get in road-side Irani café’s.

Hyderabad, Telangana, India
14 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: What is this called ? :)

Hi @DanielTh

Thank you for sharing photos of the delicious looking Dil-Khush. I would really like to try this with the coconut!

Did you prepared them yourself? Are they easy to cook?

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @DanielTh,

Wow, what a super cool way of presenting this treat! It looks delicious, so thanks for sharing this with us. I love dried fruit, so I wonder if the mixture contains dates?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

@NadyaPN  @Julien44  @KlaudiyaG  @Albry  

Please do take a look at this and share your thoughts !!!

Level 10

@VasT this is a delicacy which we get in any road-side eatery here. We can also prepare it at home, though this one is not home-made.

Because these are made in local eateries, the quality is fresh.

Level 10

@AlexaAC  nice to know you like dried fruits. In this mixture they don't add dates, because dates are seasonal here and this snack is available round-the-year. Hence they use local dried fruits like raisins etc.

Thanks @DanielTh, that sounds good!

It is a dream to visit India and when I do, I'll make sure to try Dil-Khush. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Hi @DanielTh ,

Thanks for tagging me and also for sharing the Dil-Khush. 

You have made me discover a new thing which is always great.

Hopefully, I will get the chance to try the Dil-Khush one day.

Have a lovely day and see you around!

Jul

PS: Hi sister @vvbellur, I hope you are doing fine!

I am sure, you must know the Dil-Khush. Is it something that you often eat? 

Level 8

@DanielTh , you brought back nostalgic memories! Thanks!

@Julien44 , Comment vas-tu mon amie?! I know about Dil Pasand as my parents would bring that from a bakery and it used to be a novelty at home! Now, however, I have outgrown that taste! I like more of spicy food than sweets! lol 🙂

Cheers!

Many thanks for your reply @DanielTh! Which flavor is your favorite one?

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!