C3Pin3's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

What is the meaning of Kudo(s)?

I understand it is used for marking something as favorite or liked but, what is the meaning of it?

23 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: What is the meaning of Kudo(s)?

As both @Martin_G and @SieuweM had said, kudos means praise and honour for an achievement. In this case, we are using that for posts 🙂

So when you find somebody is posting something you like, or something that's really helpful, you can give kudos to that person. It's a way of recognising that person without having to write a "well done", for instance. 

Hope this helps!

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Level 8

Kudos is slang word for "respect and recognition".

Community moderator: Slovak Local Guides

Level 10

It comes from the Old-Greek word κῦδος, kudos, what means glory, fame.

Online it is like MartinG says, it is use to give recognition at someone.

-- Sieuwe, helper of all ! --
Solution

As both @Martin_G and @SieuweM had said, kudos means praise and honour for an achievement. In this case, we are using that for posts 🙂

So when you find somebody is posting something you like, or something that's really helpful, you can give kudos to that person. It's a way of recognising that person without having to write a "well done", for instance. 

Hope this helps!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

Hello

Kudos are reward points for helping the member/ contributor in the Google. You receive experience points for various skills for accumulating certain amounts of kudo.

Enjoy and Fun 

Thanks and Regard
Debanjan Chakrabarti
Level 8

I'm a little bemused by the idea of kudo as the singular and that there is a verb to kudo (a reply of mine has been kudoed according to my notification tab and I find that expression very grating). For reference, the Advertiser Community is also on the Lithium platform and uses stars in posts and replies instead of kudo(s), and the notification states [so and so] gave you kudos for [thread title / RE thread title] when someone 'stars' your post / reply. I think the use of kudos as a mass noun is fine, but is it wise to employ words and expressions in ways that are not widely accepted as standard use of English (i.e. kudo as the singular and the verb to kudo), when many members of the community may not speak English as their first language?

Cf: www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/kudos

Kudos comes from Greek and means ‘praise’. Despite appearances, it is not a plural form. This means that there is no singular form kudo and that the use of kudos as a plural, as in the following sentence, is incorrect: he received many kudos for his work (correct use is he received much kudos for his work).

Connect Moderator

I understand the term 'kudo' considering it's been used with other platforms I'm involved in the past. But this post shows that it might not be a familiar term for some people. @LuisRG maybe it's worth to explore a different term for symbolizing appreciation? Even Twitter changed their their 'Favorite' button to 'Like'. Considering this is a global forum, finding something that's easily identifieable with be a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback @iyudhi. We'll give that a thought 🙂

And @wasaweb, maybe the verb to kudo is not proper English, but to Google something was not, either, and people got it instantly and started using it all the time 🙂

Level 8

@LuisRGGoogle as a word had not existed before, but kudos as a mass noun is an established word in English with reasonably clear and widely accepted definition and use. I'm not opposed to languages evolving, however I do question the use of colloquial or non-standard language in a community where many people might not speak English as their first language. In other words, it seems to me advisable to place comprehensibility and simplicity above cleverness and playfulness as far as the use of language is concerned. If a student uses kudo as a verb, any teacher - I'd hazard a guess - would correct that student, and it's not something the student will find in a dictionary. I kudo you not!

@iyudhi Believe it or not, kudos wasn't our first choice, but after workshopping alternative options with non-english speakers, looking at all the ways the word would need to be used on the site, and not wanting to use popular options other sites are known for, we settled on Kudos. Like most things, its never perfect for everyone. We are always open to feedback though (as you can see things here are still changing based on feedback). Maybe we will run a poll in the future and let the community vote on what it should be 🙂