aklantak's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What does it mean to you to be a Google Local Guide?

It was  24th December 2016, on the eve of Christmas, when I received a prompt from Google to join the gang of Local Guides. Out of curiosity, but very mechanically, I went through the process of registration, without knowing how exciting a world I just joined through is going to be. To be frank, the first few days of it, I was driven mostly by the promotional benefits - exclusive access, free drive space, etc.

IMG_20170212_130109 (2).jpg

However, a few days into it I realised that the role of a Local Guide was getting ingrained into my day to day routine. Identifying places that are missing on the Google map and adding those, writing reviews. Though not exclusively, but I took up the mission of including small and medium businesses, entrepreneurs, essential services like hospitals, police stations, schools that are not on the map already. What inspires me is the fact that a better and enriched map will definitely help my fellow people at a time when they are needed the most or even in general.

IMG_20170211_164524 (3).jpg 

In this process I found myself looking at my surroundings from different angles and depth - through the lenses of a Local Guide. Rather than passively be there, I am trying to experience the places - identify what is interesting, what makes them different, why they are important.

IMG_20170212_073957 (2).jpg

I would try to capture my perspective about places either through photographs or through reviews!  In this process, I realised I am probably becoming more conscious and aware of my surroundings.

IMG_20170211_183001 (2).jpg

The world around now has more details and colour than there used to be. Even more important, in this process, am I becoming more aware about myself, my interests, preferences and longings. This in fact was the real starting point for the Local Guide in me!IMG_20170212_074059.jpg

What about you? What does it mean to you? Would love to hear your story, your perspectives too. 

Delhi, India
4 comments
Level 9

Re: What does it mean to you to be a Google Local Guide?

You are right . Help others see what you have captured
https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 8

Thank you @Sariga. Its such a pleasure to be able to do that.

@VargheseJ wrote:
You are right . Help others see what you have captured

Level 9

I agree.

A good part of being a local guide is to be able to help people....

Let's not forget the philosophy of Google (which is a search engine, which has for goal to help people to find what they are looking for....)

We can all contribute to that same goal 🙂

Check out my virtual tours demo / "A camera is a save button for the mind's eye" - Geek quote 🙂 /

Generated using https://ndsmyter.be/local-guides-banner/
Level 8

Thanks @GéraldM, rightly said without the motivation of helping others being the driver a Local Guide would cease to be one!

@GéraldM wrote:

I agree.

A good part of being a local guide is to be able to help people....

Let's not forget the philosophy of Google (which is a search engine, which has for goal to help people to find what they are looking for....)

We can all contribute to that same goal 🙂