Mayford's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

What does August Break mean to you?

August Break as it's fondly known, represents the short dry period in the rainy season. It's widely known in Nigeria and marks a period when there's a halt in the torrential rains that visit mostly the Southern region. During this time, we experience the most cloudy weather of the year and humidity is very low. There are fewer illnesses caused by the cold air during the long streak of rainy days. 

Flourishing tree with its sprouted flowers at the University of Lagos, LagosFlourishing tree with its sprouted flowers at the University of Lagos, Lagos

Unlike the Northern hemisphere with four seasons (spring, summer, autumn, and winter), there are only two seasons in Nigeria: the dry and rainy seasons. Each occurs fairly within the two halves of the year; with the rainy season ending mid to late November and Harmattan (dusty, dry, and windy period) kicking in by late December to as much as March - this also marks the dry season.

A blossoming flower plantA blossoming flower plantLush green garden with green grassLush green garden with green grass

If you've experienced heavy humidity before, you'd know how good and refreshing it feels to have a semi-dry or entirely dry atmosphere. The feeling is surreal and the chilled air blowing through from the Northern Nigerian region complements the southern warm air to create a balanced temperature. Within this period, we often think the temperature around us is being regulated.

A vegetable farm with maize plants acrossA vegetable farm with maize plants across

Left: Maize plant; Right: Tubers of yams & cassavaLeft: Maize plant; Right: Tubers of yams & cassava

This trend is similar in other West African countries within the tropical climate. So, to mark a short holiday from rains, August Break comes in usually between the last days of July and early two weeks of August. This time also marks when the academic calendar of most elementary schools comes to a close for a new session. Kids have their long 'summer' holiday and there's an increase in air travel as holiday destinations are often booked. 

A sprouted flower plantA sprouted flower plantGreen carpet grassGreen carpet grass

The cultural significance of the August Break is closely monitored and often marked by the Southeastern region dominantly occupied by the Igbo tribe. For some, due to the absence of rain and the presence of clear weather, it is a time for progressive meetings where women come together to discuss certain issues as regards family and community. The men often take a break to assume wife duties and also marks a time where they catch up with their children as a way of a family reunion.

Cross-section of cassava plantationCross-section of cassava plantation

Lush green cassava tuber cropsLush green cassava tuber crops

In some other climes in the Igbo land, the New Yam Festival is marked (Iwa ji, Iri ji, or Ike ji) - Igbo dialects. This festival is very important and very popular within the country. It marks a celebration of harvest after the cultivation season in the rains and the poster crop is yam. This period also sees growth in root and tuber agricultural produce like groundnuts, yam, potatoes, cassava, corn (maize), and other delicacies.

Harvested yam tubersHarvested yam tubers

Roasted yams - a replica of what's done in the New Yam FestivalRoasted yams - a replica of what's done in the New Yam Festival

August Break is likened to the Summer when there are cloudy skies, fair and sunny weather in the morning, and noon respectively, as well as lush green trees and beautiful flowers sprouting their nectars. This period sees a flourishing rainforest and green grass with sweet smells as you walk through the streets. Awesome birds and insects like ladybirds also dominate the environment. This is perhaps, the most beautiful period of the year as nature decorates the land and beautifies the skies to our satisfaction.

Evergreen rainforest section and cassava cropsEvergreen rainforest section and cassava crops

A fertile dry & arable land in August BreakA fertile dry & arable land in August Break

Due to climate change, the periods for August Break may differ. So right now, we are experiencing the August Break for 2020 in Southern Nigeria and it's blissful. No rains, no much humidity, beautiful surroundings. To me, it is a period of BLOOM, and the feeling is great! 🙂

A cross-section of blissful flowers at Murtala Muhammed Airport, LagosA cross-section of blissful flowers at Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos

Now that you know what August Break means in Nigeria, do you have similar periods or festivities in your region? Kindly share it with us in the comments.

Cheers.

Many thanks to @Austinelewex for the great plantation photos.

Isaac
Lagos, Nigeria
50 comments
Level 8

Re: What does August Break mean to you?

Hi @Mayford,

Thanks for sharing!

Isn't it amazing of how the similarities as well as the differences we are having here in northern part of Nigeria. This is the region where the least amount of rainfall is experienced and August break isn't so significant as today marks the 6-day rainfall streak since August started. Although rain wasn't so heavy with winds but it has been raining day and night with only short breaks in-between. Such a well appreciated season for our farmers!

Trying to see the world from different lenses. Greetings from Nigeria.

Instagram 

Twitter 

Level 9

Hello @Mayford  You write explicitly well.

Yes, I have been hearing August break since I was a child, I only know it is a short time of dryness when rainfalls breaks. During this period as you've mentioned above many activities are held. August meeting when I was a child is an interesting community development organization for me. You know it is an annual meeting done by our Mothers in other to discuss matters of interest in their various communities. 

However, August break is not always certain, this year's own falls in the beginning of the month of August. We that are in the construction industry appreciate August break the most because for a long time too much Rain can cause us to be seasonal unemployed. 😂🤣

Great and awesome post my friend, Thanks for sharing and touching part of our Igbo custom. It has given me much ideas to post about some of these activities you've mentioned. 

I'll love to tag @ogewuru @Zino_ @MrBest @GiddyXp to add more spice and also@Nyainurjanah @Ant_Bad_Yogi @Designer_Biswajit @Izumi @Avraham_Jurado  to see if they can answer your above questions. 

Best regards. 

Connect Moderator

This is so interesting @Mayford  

I especially loved reading your description of how sweet it smells when you walk through the streets during the August Break. I felt like I was really there. 

In Cyprus and Greece they also have a two week break in August.  All businesses shut down and everyone goes on a holiday.  It is a very important religious holiday called “Thekapentavgousto”, which literally translates to 15th of August. It is a holiday that marks the death of Jesus’ mum Panayia, The Virgin Mary. They call it “kimisi” which means sleep because they say she went into a sleep. 

August 15 or Dekapentavgoustos is one of the most important dates in the Greek Orthodox Calendar, as the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos is celebrated. It is a national and religious holiday that marks the “falling asleep” repose or kimisis of Panagia, mother of Lord Jesus Christ.”

Level 8

A well crafted article my dear friend @Mayford 

Reading between the lines, brought back beautiful memories. On one occasion, I remember following couple of friends to their village for the new yam festival, it was a memorable event with lots of creative activities, varieties of assorted foods and the dance.

It was the major festival of that community and everyone was readily exited and well prepared for the special event. Pardon me as I may not talk about other topics on the post as the new yam festival won its way to my heart 😆 ...maybe it was because I love celebration and the fun memories came back afresh.

I really love your article and am happy you brought this here on connect. Thank you @Austinelewex for the tag. 

Enjoy your day

Giddy🎋

Gideon Okibe
Level 10

Ah yes! @Nuhuu. Thanks for making a good point on the seasonal differences and similarities between both regions. I'll make a post on a significant activity in the north to balance out the writeup. It's interesting to learn about the heavy rains right now. That's quite fascinating haha. 

Isaac
Level 10

Hi @Mayford 

So nice post and photos 🤩🤩👍💙

Thanks for sharing with us my dear 👍⚘⚘💗

MD MAHBUB HYDER
Level 10

Amazing @Austinelewex. Love how you've detailed the information. Very great perspective. The August meeting is what fascinates me the most. I love to always know what the women discuss in-depth 🙂 

Isaac
Level 9

Hahaha @Mayford 

That means you always ask Mama.😂🤣

I remember in my community mothers that didn't come back for this meeting without proper excuse will be fined.😔

The meeting is always very important. 

Level 10

I'm glad you enjoyed reading this piece @PennyChristie. I like your explanation about Cyprus and Greece. It's interesting to know they share similar important holidays. I'm a little curious, do the two countries have similar cultures and lifestyles?

Cheers.

Isaac