PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

What do you like to take photos of that you can find on Maps?

While I photograph loads of things, there are some particular things that I like to hunt down and capture an image. The first is light houses. I've been working my way around Australia and have images of almost 100 of them. I started photographing them so I can capture them before they're shutdown or replaced. Today they're not very necessary because of GPS - the same thing that makes travel more convenient every day. This one is Port Fairy Lighthouse on Griffith's Island which I'd seen from the town but it wasn't all that clear how to get there. Maps to the rescue.

Port Fairy LIghthouse on Griffith's IslandPort Fairy LIghthouse on Griffith's Island

The second thing I like to find are waterfalls, sometimes these are not marked on Maps and I use Satellite view and follow along rivers until I find a likely site then work out how to get there. This one is part of Triplet Falls in the Ottways within the Cape Ottway rain forest. Triplet Falls is a bit of a tourist trap with a manicured path with stairs and ramps. However, from there everyone gets to see the same glimpse of the falls through the rain forest. To get up close you need to find the forest path which bypasses the manicured trail and takes you right up to the falls.

Triplet Falls, The OttwaysTriplet Falls, The Ottways

The final thing I like to find is camping spots that other people have no idea about. I do like a bit of comfort and like to take my vintage 1977 Viscount Explorer van into the forest for a quiet weekend with a fire, some decent food, good company and of course a few cold ones. Finding a good spot that I can still get the old van into that is away from all the places needs Maps. This is deep in Tallarook State Forest.

Camping with the old ViscountCamping with the old ViscountWhat do you like to look for on Maps? Let me know in the comment and share a picture of the place and a link to your Maps entry.

3 comments
Level 9

Re: What do you like to take photos of that you can find on Maps?

Thank you @PaulPavlinovich for your post.

Here is my some photos

National ParliamentNational Parliament

A Sunset in DhakaA Sunset in Dhaka

Connect Moderator

Re: What do you like to take photos of that you can find on Maps?

That Parliament building is really impressive @AbdullahAM great architecture.

Thanks for sharing.

Level 8

Take a stroll on an atoll

I had the fortune of going to some very remote atoll nations in the Pacific.  Here are two 360 photos from the island of Paava on the atoll of Fualifeke in the nation of Tuvalu.  It shows the precarious nature of these atolls given the forecast of 1 meter sea level rise before the end of the century.  The highest elevation in all of Tuvalu is 4 meters so a 1 meter rise will be a major challenge. 

At low tide between the islands of Paava and Fualifeke  

Paava island is a source of coconuts for the people of Funafuti