InnocentUG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What do I do when someone fails to understand that the photos am taking are for Google maps.

When taking photos of places and the owner of the business fails to understand that am taking it for Google maps, should I just chill and move on yet the place is really important in the area? 

Because sometimes I try to explain to some people but they won't let me.

Uganda
9 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 4
Solution

Re: What do I do when someone fails to understand that the photos am taking are for Google maps.

Hi @InnocentUG,

Unfortunately, this issue happens sometimes. If the person is really angry and doesn't wanna know anything about what you are doing, I would advise you to show the owner that you are deleting the photo and that it is no longer online (even though you think it is an important place). 

Here are some stories from other LG and advises on that matter. 

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

Re: What do I do when someone fails to understand that the photos am taking are for Google maps.

You can show them Local Guides on your phone, be clear that you are a volunteer not Google employee, but ultimately there's no point upsetting someone even if you have their best interests at heart. Just say no problem, have a nice day and move on

Level 4
Solution

Hi @InnocentUG,

Unfortunately, this issue happens sometimes. If the person is really angry and doesn't wanna know anything about what you are doing, I would advise you to show the owner that you are deleting the photo and that it is no longer online (even though you think it is an important place). 

Here are some stories from other LG and advises on that matter. 

Level 8

@TiffanyS Thanks really much, but it still pains me when the place is really good for the public and it ain't connected to the maps.

Level 4

I know, I feel the same 😞
But as @Pea said, better not upsetting someone 😕

Level 8

Yeah, that's cool.

Level 6

I just walk in and speak to the manager/owner. Tell them some or all of these things:

• what you're doing there
  • tell them briefly about Google Maps and that they have a Local Guides program
  • tell them you like to take pictures of venues, write reviews of locations, and answer questions about different locations
  • indicate you're doing it as a volunteer thing and as a hobby
  • ask them if it's OK that you take a few pics for their listing on Google Maps

If they say sure, them ask for input on anything they'd like highlighted while you're there. They will feel involved and good about participating.

Using these statements, I tend to get a good response.

Level 8

That's awesome then. Probably meeting the manager or director is the best.

Level 6

I've been walking into businesses and just being casual about it. I say "Hey do you mind if I take some interior shots for Google Maps? I'm a Local Guide on there and my photos get attached to your Google Maps business profile page." They have never said no.

Level 8

@CoryK in my country most people have not gotten to understand it too, they don't ask questions like how they used to and it's really nice now.