Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Local Guide

Hello All

It is disappointing that the only real perk left ATM which doesn't expire is the Trusted Photographer perk ( have 50 + 360 photo's approved on SV ) and having the available for hire status. Also, why are some perks only available in some places. Perks should be available to all who have gained that level.

Heck , All Level 10's being it's hard to get to that level should be sent a gift pack with a range of items.

Furthermore, if you want to please take a look at my suggestion here ( Perks that Expire Re : Why ).

Level 10

Re: Quais os benefícios de cada nível, Local Guides.

@PingCheater wrote:

Dear Nadya,

how relevant is your reply on this topic? If you would take some time to read through the actual replies, you would realize, that most people posting here are quite frustrated about how Google is handling this community and stopped contributing because they have the feeling of beeng treated as little kids.

I'm sure Google can afford losing these people as contributors, but then just stop this pointless programme instead of posting comments with no actual content.

This questions are asked more and more often. It is time for Google to do something. For what are points?  For what are levels if they mean nothing? I agree that badges are for kids not for adults

Former Google Contributor

Hi @PingCheater and @MartinoMonaco

As already explained in other threads, please keep checking news and updates and also the pinned posts in the General Discussion board where you can see if there is any perks ongoing on a worldwide or regional scale.  

• For example, we’ve recently offered a travel perk to Local Guides in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Colombia, and Peru. In December 2017 we offered free access to the New York Times  which was available to Local Guides in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and the U.K. who reached Level 5 by a certain date.

As @NadyaPN already suggested, please make sure you update your email preferences, visiting your setting. So you will receive eventual news involving new perks that we might offer from time to time to Local Guides and which may be offered in your country. This is the best way to stay updated with perks. 

I hope this clarifies. We welcome your feedback and also recommend to check this useful tips on using and interacting with this community before posting. I invite also you to read the solution provided for this thread.

Many thanks.

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 6

already wrote to NadyaPN as it seams that you are also not reading posts :

"How relevant is your reply on this topic? If you would take some time to read through the actual replies, you would realize, that most people posting here are quite frustrated about how Google is handling this community and stopped contributing because they have the feeling of being treated as little kids. I'm sure Google can afford losing these people as contributors, but then just stop this pointless program instead of posting comments with no actual content. This questions are asked more and more often. It is time for Google to do something. For what are points?  For what are levels if they mean nothing? I agree that badges are for kids not for adults."

Also I do not like "Available in your country", why is this the case? Why you are treating people differently?

BTW I wonder if you (and NadyaPN) are just a "smart" AI algorithms that G is participating on us, that would explain a lot. If not, then I really don't get it.

Regards.

Level 6

Dear Maria,

the perks provided in other countries and not being distributed by personal performance, but by geographical location are surely very motivating for participants located in other locations. I feel very much motivated to provide additional input, so people in different countries get some more perks.

How about this: You reach out to me once you have something to offer to me and I'll decide if the perks are interesting enough for me to start contributing again? I think this is a much more effective way of communicating rather than me watching participants in other locations being rewarded for their work. 

Level 5

Hi MariaBi,

as you adressed me directly I feel obliged to respond. Various LG stated that perks only offered on a national level aren't helpful. And you answer us mentioning a perk offered in the USA only and another one available in 5 selected countries. I begin to agree with @PingCheater and doubt the reading comprehension of Google moderators. (user "Hello, I'd like to buy a shirt, any color but yellow." Google: "look, we have an offer for this beautiful yellow shirt")
I also cannot see our (LGs) added value when the perks Google offers are actually sales boosters for first time customers. If I were interested in that I'd use GroupOn and they don't make me spend my time uploading photos, writing comments and adding opening hours.
One last time, we do not want to check news and updates but a transparent reward-system: Level 4, x MB free storage, Level 5 y MB, Level 6 y MB plus ...

I stopped contributing and advise all my local LG-friends to do so, too.

Regards Martin

Level 6

My feeling is that offering perks that have monetary value could damage the impartial reviews by local guides.

The badges and levels are simply there to gamefy (make into a game) the quest to improve Google Maps.

For some the badges make them feel more important or like to show others their contributions.

Also, perks, if there are any should indeed be based on geographic areas. Different things appeal to different cultures, and things are of different value depending on where you live.

A quick glance of the contributions on this forum shows a large portion of LGs from certain continents, and surprisingly few from others.

If Local Guides were very heavily incentivised with perks then we would have to start questioning the motivation behind a review or map edit.

If you wish to make money or receive perks then it's best to publish your own content on your own site, and monetize using Google's excellent AdSense program.

So why am I a local guide then? It's just enjoyable trying to be helpful, that's all. That's all there is to it.

I can understand that this will not be a popular reply, but it's just my opinion.

Level 7

@MariaBi

Hello

Just one question for you about the New York times perk that was offered.

Why was New Zealand left off the list for the perk. Most other perks I've seen of other forums ( I've been a member of many ) include Australia and New Zealand as a combo package with sometimes the Pacific Islands included.

New Zealand is mostly English speaking , so why was it left out.

Can you please do an investigation into this.

Furthermore, @trystan , you are correct that there are many different culture and groups of people all over the world, so perks could / can be made that focus only on specific cultures though I also have to agree with the other side that currently it does seem most perks are for the USA plus a few other areas and some people are feeling left out.

Perks if given out should be and if possible target everyone, so no one is left out when they achieve the level needed for that perk and Google can actually do this though no one is seeing this happen.

I said this before and quote " Heck , All Level 10's being it's hard to get to that level should be sent a gift pack with a range of items. "

They've done the most contributing so as appreciation Google should give them maybe

- A Local Guide Hat

- T-Shirt

- Local Guide Stickers

- A Level 10 Certificate of achievement they can hang on their wall.

- A Cape with the Local Guide Logo

Etc.

@PingCheater @pedjapesic

I love doing this for the joy of contributing and showing others my wonderful country though it would be nice from time to time to be given something for the trouble and time taken to add and edit items , reviewing places, checking facts etc as I generally am ringing people on the phone or going to their places to check the facts are true plus all the other things I do to contribute though no one should be doing this just for perks.

If you are doing this just for the perks then I suggest you do quit. Like I said above " I love doing this for the joy of contributing and showing others my wonderful country " and that should be good enough for everyone.

Perks are good from time to time as a recognition of achievement to show someone " Hey you've done a great job, keep it up " or " Great contributing, Keep up the good work " etc though shouldn't be expected.

Once again, I love doing this for the joy of contributing and showing others my wonderful country and that's good enough for me.

The only reason I suggest a few here and there is Google actually can here and there give these perks out including the Level 10 one I suggested.

FYI = It's hard to bat for both sides of the Fence LOL , if you know what I mean.

Level 5

No perks even at level 6

I have reached level 6 now . Google didn’t give any perks to me till now.

where to complain. I have spend a lots of time to reach this level.??

Connect Moderator

Re: No perks even at level 6

@Nishad6161 The perks for Local Guides are listed under their help center. You can find the explanation under 'Perks'. The Local Guides team is always evolving, so while there's not much to offer right now, there may be something that will be offered in the future. Best way for you to make sure not to miss them is to make sure your Local Guides profile setting is configured to receive communications from Google.

The main idea of contributing to Maps is to help each other improve information that will eventually benefit everyone. Please don't feel you've wasted lots of time contributing in Maps, as there will be many people that will appreciate the information you have been providing. I think that's the best perk of being a Local Guide 🙂