vvbellur's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What are the must-visit places in Portland for a Nature Lover?

Hello Everyone,

I will be visiting Portland for 5 days early October and was preparing my itinerary.  There seem to be so many amazing places to visit that I thought of using some recommendations. 

• Have you been to Portland? Where did you stay? 
  • How is the public transport in Portland? Is it easy to visit all the places by bus/train/tram? I don't drive.
  • Which area do you recommend staying? I am looking into hostels or cheap Airbnbs. 
  • Which are the must see places? I have Mt. Hood National Forest in my list.

Thanks a lot!

2 comments
Level 9

Re: What are the must-visit places in Portland for a Nature Lover?

Hey @vvbellur!

If you like something scenic, I'd go to Multnomah Falls if you want to see water falls. You can actually hike it from one side up to the top and then over the top and down the other side. I'm not sure about how to get there by public transport though ? 

The other place I really enjoyed is Cannon Beach where you'll see the Haystack Rocks. Again, you'd have to check on the transport there.

Haystack Rocks at Cannon BeachHaystack Rocks at Cannon Beach

I would stay in the city and I remember that public transport in the city is free or quite cheap. But I've also stayed further away from the city center as I do drive.

I think when it comes to food, I can make better recommendations... =P

I'd try out Blue Star Donuts. I personally like it better than Voodoo Donuts, though Voodoo Donuts is the famous one in the city and it is also open 24 hours. Expect a queue here. 

If you enjoy some fresh Italian pasta, then I recommend Grassa.

I also enjoyed seafood at Jake's Famous Crawfish, but it is a bit more expensive.

But Portland is actually one of the original cities with food trucks. There are a ton around the downtown area, so I would suggest seeing what food truck options are there and trying some of the food that way as well!

And regardless if you're a book lover or not, I'd also recommend Powell's City of Book.  It is probably one of the largest, if not the largest, bookstores in US. I don't quite know how to describe it, but it is a quite a sight! 

I think I wrote to you elsewhere that Oregon is tax free!!! Do any of your shopping here!!! ? 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

Re: What are the must-visit places in Portland for a Nature Lover?

Thank you @Shirley.  I did decided to stay in the city center itself at one of the hostels close to downtown. I also booked a few day trips - one to the coast and one to the Colombia river gorge and another one to the waterfalls so that i don't have to worry about transport.

- There's also public transport that goes right to the National Park - (Mt. Hood Express). So on one of the other days, i'll go here. Day trip.

- i've also planned to rent a bike and explore the city on one of the days.

Really exited for this! i'll be sure to share some photos later! 🙂