TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

What are the mapping needs in your village or town?

Caption: An illustration of a clipboard with a notepad, a pencil, and two chat boxes—one with a three yellow stars and the other with a red heart—on a blue background.Caption: An illustration of a clipboard with a notepad, a pencil, and two chat boxes—one with a three yellow stars and the other with a red heart—on a blue background.

Whether it’s editing the name of a village or adding a street in your area, the Google Maps team would like to better understand the types of things you’d like to be able to add on Google Maps about your town or village. After all, over 45 percent of the world’s population lives outside of cities.  

Tell us what new features you’d like to see in your area by sharing your ideas on the Idea Exchange.

New to the Idea Exchange? Here’s how to get started:

1. Visit the Idea Exchange on Connect
  2. Post your idea (just one per post) in the correct category (for this type of idea, it would go under Google Maps)
  3. Let the community vote

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
17 comments
Level 9

Re: What are the mapping needs in your village or town?

thank you so much google for hearing from us and thanks @TraciC for sharing this post 

• 68% of the world population projected to live in urban areas by 2050, says UN

i will brain storm with community members and ask other members in villages and other cities what are the mapping needs , thanks again 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing here I'm on my game resting 

Level 9

Hello @TraciC

Thank you so much for your post. I think this is best time for updating our own village or town. After closing the Maps Maker, many features was disable on google maps like adding/editing polygons, Adding new roads, editing existing roads and adding water features like lake, rivers. I hope google will implements this features in a new way with in google maps.

I think google will add few more Categories for using on google maps.

Level 7

In our neighbourhood, the mapping needs primarily involve  ensuring that  accurate and up-to-date information is available online as the Street View photographs in our part of London are years out of date and a number of the business premises that are on Google Maps now have new owners who have been unable to have their small owner-occupied shops added as a missing place very easily.

The vast majority of places that I update on Google Maps are well known to me and so the details that I meticulously submit are entirely accurate and could be easily verifiable by a human with average intelligence instead of some  automated system which seems unable to access the kinds of information that is freely available to anyone via a simple Google search.

It can take many hours - if not days - to get simple edits accepted and the amount of time that we waste in the process does not seem to matter much to those who are making the design decisions behind the scenes.

The way that the system supports so many different forms of secretive deletions also raises a number of practical - as well as ethical - concerns and the fact that we are not given the courtesy of an e-mail notification when our updates are rejected (unlike those which are marked as "approved" or "pending") means that it can be virtually impossible to backtrack and identify which locations were involved beyond a certain cut-off date.

The withdrawal of the Feedback section of this forum has only intensified the various problems and it has become increasingly difficult for experienced Local Guides to help their colleagues.

Public amenities should also be given some kind of priority over simple landmarks and less vital POIs as the problems that can be caused by a lack of location details can create severe difficulties for  some of the most vulnerable members of our community, particularly those of advanced years or with long-term illnesses and disabilities.

At the moment it does not feel that any of the appointed officials are taking these matters seriously judging from some of the pat responses that are being posted.

😞

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Level 10

Hi @TraciC

It is always so great to see that 

always Google Maps with Google Earth are so efficient with so much done in even the most remote areas, and that helps so many people in Local city and country areas. The mapping needs are so well catered for. 

I was raised in the city, in Sydney Australia and the Google Maps here are excellent, as I hear from so many others the same also, even when there are new places it is picked up quickly and marked on Google Maps. 

In new built up areas there where  are a lot of new places, it never takes much time for these places to be added by Google Maps teams.  

Recently we moved to the country for a few years and again I found so many places, streets and town centres all growing and extending where all updated almost immediately. Even when on holidays you see the public transport in all cities and towns  is all accessible on Google Maps. So cool and easy to use. 

We are now back in Sydney and the mapping needs are excellent and up to date here also. 

Many thanks to you @TraciC , all the Googlers and Connect Moderators for all you do to keep up with all Google maps Local.Guides Connect members requests and suggestions for Google Maps in our Local areas. 

It is so important and wonderful when Local Guides members write and share reviews from places they go on Google Maps. Then share them again. 

🤩🙂👏👏👏🌐🌏🌐🌏🌐🌍🐨🧚🇦🇺

**"My idea and suggestion is for an area on Connect where we can see and follow through and support where people contribute to other social media also. So we can then go to those links and contribute by commenting and interaction on.the posts and then reshare again. We can all support each other via here on Connect in our posts from here on social media. 

It is great to see when businesses reply to reviews also. 

Then when Local Guides Connect  Members share Google Maps places and lists also. It is then when people see the difference it makes in sharing places from Google Maps to Connect, and then from here onto Social media as well.  Then also comment and interact with others interested in the posts and information. Supporting Local businesses by doing so. 

It helps people to see how much there is in all the extra features available on Google Maps and creates interest for others to share Local places for businesses and tourism in our Local areas. plus gives them.interst to join us on Google Maps Local Guides Connect community too.  

Many many thanks to all the Google Maps teams. 

With kind regards

@Justine2807

Googler

Hi @OSAMA. When you have an idea, please do be sure to post it on the Idea Exchange.

@AbdullahAM If you haven't already, please do be sure your ideas are posted in the Idea Exchange as separate ideas so others may weigh in and vote.

@Justine2807 Thank you for sharing that feedback. We definitely want to help Local Guides connect with one another offline and online (which is why we built Connect) and I recommend posting those ideas (which are not related to mapping needs specific to non-urban areas) on the Idea Exchange. 

@aka_Rὁn While I understand your frustration around how information is added or removed from Google Maps, we use a variety of methods, both human and automated to verify edits. I see that your suggestions are general improvements for mapping, which I appreciate and we'd like to learn more about, if they are separated into individual ideas 

Regarding your concerns around the Idea Exchange, we built the Idea Exchange (and shared why we did) in this post which describes how to best use that area. General questions about how to do something belong to the how-to area.  From what I gather from your posts across multiple threads if that you're not clear on the purpose of it which I can rectify by adjusting the post, but we are reviewing every idea imaginable and prioritizing sections. All ideas are being considered and logged, but it's imperative that all ideas appear in a single place (the Idea Exchange) for full consideration. I urge you to post separate ideas there as they come up. 

Thanks, everyone. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

Hello @TraciC 

Thanks for writing this. 

Road editing is very much needed in our region (Bangladesh). Someone already posted this idea. So, I just think to comment here about this (again). 

Have a good day.. 🙂 

Googler

Hi @anazizullah. Thanks for sharing. Does the idea you found incorporate all road edits you'd like to make? I unfortunately live in New York City and never had an opportunity to edit the map in the same way as folks in other areas, so I love learning more myself. 

Level 8

according to me, when the maps zoom in a mall that have a lot of floor. Can we make difference between store in each tenant floor.

if the mall is less than 10 floor perhaps its easy to make difference. but if the floor is more thank 30...hehhe. perhaps we can make segment of it. colour red, floor 1 till 3, etc.