Svein's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: What I have learned by posting 10600+ photos, earning 8300+ points and getting 130+ million view

Thanks for lighten this up. Clever Google, gets loads of stuff for free. Imagine you would have to hire someone doing this!

Level 7

Re: What I have learned by posting 10600+ photos, earning 8300+ points and getting 130+ million view

Wow, thanks for  sharing your insight. I've been a local guide for only 6 months so reading your article will definitely help me become a better guide in my locality. Kudos!!!

Level 5

I started with online (goog maps) photos many years ago with Panaramio (bought by google). These pics were actually viewed by human beings and someone decided if they made the cut. I liked that system but realize that relying on humans can go only so far when millions of pictures are posted.

Yet I find the current system to be poor. It seems the "add a photo" in the maps section is the only (or best?) way to add things and sometimes it's hard to relate them to a place. Now - you'd think that goog would be able to read GPS data in the photos that have them...and maybe they do to some extent.

But I'd love to be able to share a single or multiple albums in the old "Google Photos", which I still use. As it stands now, these photos - even when shared - are only available to someone you give the link to (or if you cross-post them on goog+ ? ).

I have so many nice photos but not enough time to upload them multiple times. I also somewhat curate my photos as to only the better ones...and, despite the possible lack of as many views, I specialize in non-business type photos (I live in three places which all have their beauty, landscapes...and I am an FAA licensed drone pilot). 

Drones can definitely get some pics that are unique and I think they can add a lot to goog maps, etc.

Here are a couple samples.

W. MassW. MassRhode IslandRhode IslandSarasota, FLSarasota, FL

Level 8

Hello 

First of all congratulations for your rewards. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome experiences, It will be a great helpful post for all Local Guides. Your photos look awesome. Thank you once again. 

Namaste, 

Niraj

Level 6

I also appreciate the fact that photos can be shared and this platforms gives you an audience which is interested...  @Svein

Level 10

Great! @Svein

Level 10

Level 10

@Svein I understand why your pictures are so much viewed. You are a great photographer. Thanks for sharing!

Level 8

What a wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing this!

I have yet to explore my city and document the businesses we have here. Will definitely take note of these tips for future photo sessions!

Filipino Local Guide from Cebu, Philippines | Local Guides Cebu | Yes, I love Google products!
Level 10

Great post and I am only 3 pages into the replies.  I was searching for a way to sort my reviews  & photos by view count (or "liked" count) when I came across your article (BTW, Google, if you have a nice analytic we could use, that would be cool).  Like you, I love gathering these pictures and it is a neat hobby.  I have only been doing it about a year.  I am over 3 million views with 41,000 or so points and 3,000 or so pictures.  I also like to take walks and incorporate my photo gathering with those walks and will often try to capture an entire mall or block. I currently have postings in 4 countries. I am specifically replying to your questions about how do I handle it when someone approaches me about taking a picture.  Thankfully, I have only been approached twice but each time I have told them that I am a Google Local Guide and that Google has asked that I help to keep their maps up to date

@Svein wrote:

Zeds.

Great photos! Your work seems to be very complementary to what I do as I do not east out often and get the chance to cover restaurants.

How do your experience business owners reacting to you taking photos inside the business? I often feel that they look at me funny and wonder what I am doing when I occasionally take pictures in restaurants and small businesses. They do not seem to appreciate pictures being taken. Do you ask ahead of time, and if so what do you ask?

-SveinR

.  Once I say that and after we have a nice conversation, they will often invite me in to take more pictures.  As long as I am talking with them, I verify that the information on Maps is correct (phone, website, address, etc.).   I like the points but considering that it will take as many points to get from level 9 to level 10 as it did to get from zero to level 9, I doubt I will make that last leap.