Svein's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: What I have learned by posting 10600+ photos, earning 8300+ points and getting 130+ million view

Amazing! 

I will be reading this post a few times 🙂 

Also the pictures you shared are excellent!! 

If you are ever tempted to write another post - a suggested topic would be the editing process you use for your photos 🙂 They do look excellent!

Again - thanks for sharing. All the best

Ciaran

Still learning......and trying to be better. Lets see in 1+ years 🙂
My google map profile is https://www.google.co.uk/maps/contrib/112319770317255529522/photos/@54.1462759,-6.9012176,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m3!8m2!3m1!1e1 Thank you for reading my post!
Level 9

Re: What I have learned by posting 10600+ photos, earning 8300+ points and getting 130+ million view

@Svein Incredible! Your pictures are beautiful, keep it up

Level 7

Hi @Svein

Thanks for honestly sharing your story.
On intial skim I thought 'oh, someone showing how to game the system to make themselves look good to whoever looks at points', as there are 2 types of guides I believe:
1) Those that just want points for points sake 
2) Those that believe in the underlying purpose of the platform and its intent to help others 

But reading further comments and replies you are truley in the second camp, as you do this for your local community and businesses because it is a passion, at Google maps was just a vehicle not the end in itself.

It may have been the gamification aspects (points, views, levels, badges, lead photo) that got you hooked but the extrinsic motivation of points is way overshadowed by the intrinsic motivation.  That is what Google Local Guides is all about I believe

I think Google's model and AI (so far) works well to lessen the impact of contributors with no intrinsic or community feel, but will continually need to evolve I'm sure.

And more specifically back on your post
- I like your point about using a quality Point and Shoot Camera over a DSLR and why.  Useful information.
- Also I liked learning from others about lg wars.  Initially I thought "what the...." but I can see the friendly aspects as well as personal challenges these invoke - I wonder how many instances there are ongoing 'wars' back and forth.

- The process speed.  Wow! - Some good tips and more there.

Finally of course, some great shots to boot!

For myself, I take the odd shot of businesses with my DSLR when walking around London or travelling and upload any to google maps if they 'add value' to the entry (typically that means are unique or I think are much better than anything existing).  My work flow to do that is cumbersome but that's OK (I'll share a post on that one day to embarras myself :)).  
I'm happy if a photo gets added, as I believe it will then help people locate and/or identify more with the business. So I do check on that.
Not even sure how to find what the most viewed photo is, other than scrolling through my list.  Maybe that's a good thing so I don't get more of photo bug (though I don;t think its a bad thing, the wife certainly gave me a serve when I told her one day I was only taking photos to practise my photography skills.  Must have been the way I framed it :))

Thanks again for sharing

All the best 

Level 8

this is unbelievable!

Incredible work @Svein, thank you for sharing us your valuable experience, the photo taking & uploading "best practices" / your workflow and advices.

page is bookmarked:)

Level 8

Level 8

Wow completely blown away by this. What an amazing achievement. Your photos are so clean and clear, you're very good at photography! I definitely won't get to your level of images and reviews anytime soon, but it sure is inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story 🙂 

Level 8

Thank you Svein, for such a generous sharing 🙂 Got many tips from your suggestions, and will surely benefit from them in the coming weeks. Best wishes for the great work which you are doing...

Smile in style and be mobile
Level 7

Nice post and very well written. I appreciate the way you have gone in details to explain the finer points. Must say extremely useful.
Level 7

Totally agree with you and it is absolutely true.

Connect Moderator

Sus comentarios son muy bien logrados, con ese detalle en los distintos puntos, gracias por compartir su pensamiento @MarkMc