Svein's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: What I have learned by posting 10600+ photos, earning 8300+ points and getting 130+ million view

Zeds.

Great photos! Your work seems to be very complementary to what I do as I do not east out often and get the chance to cover restaurants.

How do your experience business owners reacting to you taking photos inside the business? I often feel that they look at me funny and wonder what I am doing when I occasionally take pictures in restaurants and small businesses. They do not seem to appreciate pictures being taken. Do you ask ahead of time, and if so what do you ask?

-SveinR

Level 5

Re: What I have learned by posting 10600+ photos, earning 8300+ points and getting 130+ million view

Hi SveinR,

Ha ha.....believe or not a lot of them invite to take photos inside their stores.I am pretty well known in the circles I move in.Early on a few months ago when I started snapping away like mad everywhere I went I did ask a couple of times and got a no so I never ask anymore.These days I can get almost any of the staff including managers,owners to pose for a photo...many times with me in it.But yes sometimes I tell the person at the store I have just walked into that I am a Google Guide...a very good one who has had millions of views of photos of businesses posted on Google maps.....they are usually impressed and let me take as many as I want.The owner of Mistral boutique in Del Mar was so happy that I was taking photos of inside her shop that she gave me a big bag of expensive imported French vegetable soaps for my wife.She is a friend to this day and my photos of inside her shop have had stacks of views.My wife and I were invited to the pre-opening of Isola Pizza Bar in La Jolla for a free dinner purely because I had written great reviews for their Little Italy location.I took stacks of photos of all the diners,management,the chef/owner until I decided to go home.They loved the results because it gave them free exposure on Google maps..you can't beat it.I love helping businesses do better by giving them free publicity via my photos.I don't expect anything in return......just friendly service when I am a customer. I am trying to win the Le Tote 12 months subscription prize at present so I am snapping away like crazy around these parts...I'm sure it will be very hard to win but I like to compete.Talk to you again soon my friend.

May the Google be with you,

Zed star. 

Level 9
Level 9

@Zeds wrote:

judging by the very large number of responses I have received to my Google reviews from managers and owners from all over the world my reviews are appreciated....Some of the benefits from my efforts have been getting invited to pre-openings of restaurants with my wife and I eating delicious meals for free

This might be an opportune moment for a Google Mod @Corrie or @TraciC to comment regards reviews and accepting (before or after the fact) gifts 

"Don’t offer or accept money, products or services to write reviews for a business" https://support.google.com/business/answer/2622994

Level 1

What I have learned by posting 10600+ photos, earning 8300+ points and getting 130+ million views

Who are you brother !!!Who are you brother !!!

fine 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @RavelR, I believe you are referring to this post by @Svein

To join in the conversation, you can reply to the post direction by clicking on the "Reply" button at the bottom of the post instead of creating a new post:

[UNSET] (3).png

This way, @Svein can see your reply and all related discussions can be found in one place. 

As you are new here, I recommend reading this post for tips and best practices when using Connect.

For now, I am merging your post with @Svein's. 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 7

Thank you @Svein for all this.

Your photos are excellent and a great example.

May I ask (I did not see where you provided the information) do you ever use just your phone camera? I have an Android phone and since it is always with me when I am out it is my easiest camera to use.

I knew I needed to improve my skill even with the photo apps on the phone and after reading your post I am certain I need to improve. 

Level 1

please guide my also about that

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Pea everything I read in this thread seems to be fine. Its not uncommon for a business owner to reach out to someone who had a good or bad experience and offer to thank them / make it right. As long as "you" are not offering to write a review or take photos in exchange for freebies, it should be fine. 

Level 7

Hi @Svein

Even before I was a Guide, I always ask permission before taking a photo inside a business (and also if I cannot avoid having random strangers in the photo as I take it). That was back in the days before people started worrying about privacy on the internet. I cannot imagine what challenges I may face now!

So far I have not been refused, but hopefully if I am initially refused, with a little gentle explanation that may change.

Level 9
Level 9

@CorrieD wrote:

Its not uncommon for a business owner to reach out to someone who had a good or bad experience and offer to thank them / make it right. As long as "you" are not offering to write a review or take photos in exchange for freebies, it should be fine. 

@Corrie Do you think there's any danger that LGs could give 5 star reviews to every place, then show the owners what they've done saying "according to Google, it's not unusual to reach out and thank me".