SuzanneN's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

What Google Maps Doesn't Do Well

You know i’m a huge fan of Google Maps, but living here in Bangkok i can’t help but notice how much of real life isn’t on the map, and how smaller businesses and dynamic transport options get shut out in favor of more established, developed ones. Looked at from this angle, it really does seem that Maps is a product of one perspective and way of life, even tho it's mapping the whole world.

• Street Food still isn’t mappable, tho the issue has been raised for at least a year by other local guides. There are thousands and thousands of vendors who are being shut out of what’s becoming the world’s yellow pages.
  • Motorcycle taxi stands aren’t mapped, and motorcycle taxis do not show up as a transport option despite that they are used by many people in this city to get from one place to another on a daily basis.

Developing a great product is important, but as people rely on Google Maps more and more, it creates a bigger and bigger bias against things that don’t exist on Maps. I guess what I’m saying is that this can have real impacts on people’s lifestyles and livelihoods. It’s a shame the product isn’t more global and I wonder when it will be.

Bangkok, Thailand
9 comments
Level 10

Re: What Google Maps Doesn't Do Well

Hi @SuzanneN

My thoughts were same as you,

As in South east Asian countries there are more street food stalls then established restaurants, so that street food stalls should be on Google maps. .but if we think other point of view. .that street food stalls are not permanent. .it would be misguided the travellers if that food stall shifts to the other place? ?and there is other street food stall on that place which we added. 

As I know Google always support small business. 

Have a nice day 

Level 9

Restaurants around here sometimes open and close quickly, they are still on the map, right? Meanwhile there are neighborhood vendors who have been in the same spot, on the same schedule, for over a decade. What is a bigger disservice to Maps users, not having street food at all, or having it knowing there will be mistakes? Mistakes are inevitable for every type of listing. If there are enough people participating and correcting, the mistakes will iron themselves out, where the listing is a are food vendor a more Google-friendly listing.

Level 7

i'm trying to update all info around my area: bangrak, silom, and sathon, in order to give correct information around here.
that's the best i can do 😞

Level 8

@SuzanneN thanks for your post great post we have aware something From it

Level 6

I cosign on the need for this. In Trinidad & Tobago street food is a part of the local culture (particularly doubles).

Level 10

I've been thinking of adding motorcycle taxi stands to the map. I found a category that they could fit in, but it's the British term for "taxi stand."

Have you seen any motorcycle taxi stands on Google Maps in Bangkok? I've seen 0. I've taken some pictures of them, but they're mostly pictures I can tell an interesting story to, not really yet any I'd use for Google Maps submissions, like this one... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh3YCbhluEZ/

Oh, and are you coming to Khun Sun's meetup on Saturday? It's at The Street mall.

Level 9

@JosephDewey i keep missing the bkk meetups! i was doing some great stuff with a group of students from northern thailand so could not make it. hopefully the next one tho. 

re: moto taxis, it would be great to see them integrated into directions. if you live in bkk, or jakarta and maybe other places, you know it's a part of the commute. maybe i'll try putting some of them into maps, too, and see what happens. 

Level 10

@SuzanneN I have an accessibility meetup planned for planned for May 26 at 1pm at Samyan MRT/Chamchuri Square. I hope you can make that one.

Let me know when you post a Win motorcycle stand. I want to get inspiration.

Level 9

Great post @SuzanneN. I am also of the opinion that every other categories be added to the map, the local food vendor, road side Mechanic, there should be space for artisans, these are the people who need promoting, so as a local guide I patronise an artisan and service was great and should be able to put him up on the map, this to me is a great way of promoting small businesses.... 

Thank you for sharing once again! 

Anita

A-Beta