KimLong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Water Festival Boat Race and Floating Lantern

Water Festival is an important traditional festival celebrated by Cambodian people. This festival has long history and it mostly related to navel exercise and celebration of victory dating back to Angkorian era. During the festival, there are dragon boat racing by day and by night there are illuminated boat or giant floating lantern. During the three days event, millions of local come to celebrate in Phnom Penh capital and other provincial events by the riverside. Here are a few photos of the lantern during the festival in Siem Reap celebrated from 21-22 Nov 2018. This year I did not have chance to capture dragon boat race. IMG20181121204554.jpgIMG20181121204352.jpgIMG20181121204850.jpgIMG20181121204957.jpgIMG20181121204730.jpgIMG20181121204625.jpg

Siem Reap, Cambodia
8 comments
Google Vendor

Re: Water Festival Boat Race and Floating Lantern

Hi @KimLong,

Thank you for sharing your photos with us. The water festival story is so fascinating. The rainbow-like colors make the atmosphere more lively.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Cool looking festival @KimLong thanks for sharing

Former Google Contributor

Hi @KimLong,

These photos are literally breathtaking, thanks for sharing. 

Is the city crowded during the festival? What are the activities there? My personal favorite is the second photo with the elephants.

PS: I`ll wait for the photo of the dragon boats in the next year.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

Hi @Petra_M yes, the city especially the view spot for boat race and floating lantern can be very crowded and many roads are closed to vehicle to accommodate the crowd. During the day it is boat race, people come to see boat race. Evening time there is giant floating lantern but traditional people also float their own-made small lantern and make a wish before they float it. The festival also happen on full moon night so there is also an offering (literally) to the moon and there is another story about this offering to the moon as well. Traditionally people will offer Ombok (kind of smash rice) with banana and afterward enjoy eating it with family members and neighbors. 

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for the answer @KimLong, it sounds interesting. 

Can visitors participate in the race? I hope, I`ll see you there next year.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

Hi @Petra_M group of friends and staffs from private companies are welcomed to join the race but they need to register before hand and has their boat register too. Some private companies rent boat and have their staff compete too. It will be nice to see you here and I am sure you will enjoy the experience Cambodia and particularly Siem Reap has to offer. 

Connect Moderator

Hi, @KimLong

Thank you for sharing beautiful photos 🙂

The dragon boat race sounds interesting! 

Level 10

@KimLong I was chekcing old posts and found this one, very cool my friend! loved the pics!