kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Watch Local Guides celebrate Durga Puja in our latest video

Caption: A screenshot from a Local Guides YouTube video, “Durga Puja in Kolkata - Festivals Around the World, Ep. 1,” showing a golden idol inside a Durga Puja pandal in Kolkata, India.Caption: A screenshot from a Local Guides YouTube video, “Durga Puja in Kolkata - Festivals Around the World, Ep. 1,” showing a golden idol inside a Durga Puja pandal in Kolkata, India.

Yesterday marked the start of Durga Puja, a Hindu festival that celebrates the goddess Durga’s victory over the evil, shape-shifting buffalo demon Mahishasura. Festival-goers celebrate at temporary temples, called pandals, filled with idols worshiping the goddess Durga that compete to be the most extravagant. At the end of the festivities, the idols are ceremoniously set into a body of water, returning the goddess to her home in nature.

Watch as Local Guides Joy, Resham, and Amitabh take us around Kolkata, India for last year’s celebrations.

How are you celebrating Durga Puja? Tell us in the comments below and share photos of your favorite pandals!

73 comments
Level 7

This festive season in India

Hey Local Guides, So here comes the start line of Indian festive season. From tomorrow Navratri is getting started and the main activity pops up is The Garba ( Dance Form). Though Many of them will take place in Pandals ( Place where the Idol of goddess is placed and worshipped) but many will be held on the roads in the night time. This time we Local Guides have to work hard as Our opinions on Shops for buying jewellery, costumes, dresses etc. will matter a lot.

NOTE: If possible do not forget to mention the Timings of garbas in Colonies or Pandals. So that if it occurs on road People will not get disturbed.

Re: This festive season in India

Hi @Rajnath_INDORE,

Welcome to Connect.

Thank you for sharing! Since you're new here you might want to tell us more about yourself and get to know other Local Guides in Introduce Yourself topic.

On a related note, you may organize a meet-up with other Local Guides and go explore all together. Once your meet-up is approved, it will automatically appear as a post in the Meet-ups topic section for Local Guides to participate. To learn more, check this How to Organize a Local Guides Meet-Up article.

Don't forget to keep us posted with photos from the festival :).

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

@VasT Thank You Sir for that usefull Info but I already gave my introduction😊. And Yes, I will be posting the Photos and Posts related to Colourful Indian Festivals.

Thank you @Rajnath_INDORE

By the way, I wanted to tell you that I merged your post with the Watch Local Guides celebrate Durga Puja in our latest video topic.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Golu Festival - Display of Toys

@TravellerG@JohnPeter

Navaratri (Nine Nights) is a festival celebrated mostly by Hindus through out the India.  In Southern part of India, mainly in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, many of the homes display beautiful dolls.   Bommai (Doll) Golu is the artistic display of dolls on numbered tiers or steps, usually made of wood. The nine steps represent the nine days of Navaratri. Traditionally, a few top steps include idols of Hindu Gods and a kalash (ceremonial jar) with fresh water, covered with a coconut and mango leaves. The next few steps have idols of saints and heroes of the country. Another step represents human activities, depicting functions such as marriage, temples, and an orchestra or music band. Business is usually represented by the Chettiar set of dolls, with shop items and wooden dolls called Marapachi dressed in colorful clothes. It is a custom to add a few new dolls every year.

Children recite slokas, sing songs and eat special dishes offered to the Gods, especially the protein-rich dish called sundal (which is made of legumes) with some sweets and fruits. Women folk exchange betel leaves, betel nuts, coconuts, fruits, flowers and bangles to the visitors.

Today, 10th October 2018, is the first day of Navaratri and you can see here various Golu displays.  I will keep on posting the photographs of Golu taken from my friends home here in Chennai during Navaratri.
Golu picturesGolu pictures

Golu PicturesGolu Pictures

Chettiar and Aachi dollChettiar and Aachi doll

Venkatachalapathy God dollVenkatachalapathy God doll

@TravellerG @davidhyno @JohnPeter

Day 2 of Navarathri: 

It is day 2 of Navarathri and Chennai city is brisk with Navarathri celebrations.  Guests are

thronging those houses who is having Golu.  My friend Ms. Sudha invited me to visit her home

and I have taken Photographs of her home Golu and posting some of them here.  I hope you like these pictures.Golu dollsGolu dolls

Lord Shiva TempleLord Shiva Temple

Lord ShivaLord Shiva

Golu dollsGolu dolls

Puri TemplePuri Temple

6.JPG

Temple celebrationTemple celebration

@TravellerG@davidhyno

Day 3 of Navarathri:

It is Friday, 12th October 2018 and I am posting photos taken in a Golu in Kapaleeswarar Temple, Mylapore, Chennai and also some other photos from Golu in other places.thumbnail (6).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (14).jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

thumbnail (12).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (8).jpg

thumbnail (11).jpg

@TravellerG@davidhyno@JohnPeter@TravellerGirl23@AbdelM

Day 4 of Navarathri:

It is fourth day of Navarathri and I am sharing some of the Golu pictures taken from Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple here.  Hope you like these pictures.

IMG-20181013-WA0061.jpg

IMG-20181013-WA0063.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

thumbnail (15).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

SARAVANAKANTH
??
Join with us in the Tamilnadu Local Guides WhatsApp group
Level 10

Re: Golu Festival - Display of Toys

Hi, dear @Saravanakanth

Wow.. Nice post..

1. The Brief description is very interesting

2. The photos are very connected to the topic and are very colorful.

May Goddess Durga, bless all..

Regs

Level 10

Re: Golu Festival - Display of Toys

Dear @Saravanakanth

Special Congratulations for crossing 10,00,000 viewers for your beautiful photos, in Google Maps..!!!

Wish you all success and assure you all supports,

Regs

Level 10

Rif.: Golu Festival - Display of Toys

Level 10

Rif.: Golu Festival - Display of Toys

Dear @davidhyno

Appreciate your span of coverage.. Congrats..

With Prayers for all success