Mainzer's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Warning to install the new Version of the Google Maps app

As we did find out und in the German Google local Guides group is that the last 2 Versions of the Google maps app die pass the quality control and have issues.

For the moment i see just one solution to stop the automatic installation of the app. Since relaunche of the local guides forum a lot of issues happen with the app. 

For example you can no more see yours most view pictures.

I search heavy old app versions to downgrade and stop any update of the app.

Can someone provide me older An version for a downgrade. Otherwise i will delete Maps complete.

As far i see localguides become earlier new apps as benefit. IMHO there are no benefits because happens very often that the versions have more poor quality. The goole playstore does not offer older versions. So please provide me a link for older versions.

8 comments
Level 8

回應: Warning to install the new Version of the Google Maps app

Hi @Mainzer ,

Do you have any positive reports that older version are working fine without any of those recent issues?

Level 7

In iPhone none because its very limited there. For example no 360 view. Either Safari or Chrome. And in photos no possibility to choose most viewed pictures. I do wonder if someone with iPhone use streetmap or maps app.

I did delete on iPhone both apps Some time ago.

But now same for Android. I did verify in the faceböok group because after the Relaunch of the Summer active users leave most localguides or was livetime blocked in local guides connect by their concerns. On the regular meetups that happen are organised via facebook.

I asked there and the most that use Android can no more see the photo views that are most viewed. The app like the most apps of google are after desigb relaunch useless and users concern much.

This way realy i see 2 ways. The Maps App of Google i will deinstall. If someone can provide me the older Version ok. I did install also no more the News an Weather because its trash. i use now RSS reader.

Anyways you can provide Maps 2 Versions downgrade. If not i guess i use a different resource and not the playstore.

Level 7

Again yes. Normal 2 versions ago. There was intermeriate a different view  but for luck just intermediate.

Level 8

Hi @Mainzer ,

If there is no problem two versions ago at that time, no issues, do not mean the same version today will also have no issues.

I want to know, if you know anyone using that old version now, that is with out issues?

If yes, that will be a very good reference information to let the Maps team know.

Because sometimes, issues are due to backend changes, not due to front end (Maps app) changes.

Level 7

I am not interest what version i run but i am interest to get a old running version and i will install this version and stop any update for Google Apps and Browser because in most cases since the redesign of all google plattforms any update since their CI "upgrade" ,🤔🤔😂😂😂😂 google make the things worse.

There are enough alternate features and Apps to use. I see it so fix in 1 week time or deinstall the Maps App if not the old version can be providet. In the German Forum was announced a Alternate Solution that upload pictures and combine the pictures with wikipedia and Openstreetmap. They realy have Benefits and not not working previews of Apps or points. I did try yesterday and i am realy happy for this. If i upload there i realy get honored not like in Google Maps just some stupid points as benefit.

Can you provide the old version or not. I can not see anymore all  pictures i did give to google now.

Level 8

I cannot provide any old versions of the Maps app, as I do not personally keep them.

If I need any of them, I usually can find lots of sources in Internet that are hosting them.

The only problem is:  as all of them are non-official sources.  Thus the integrity of the app file is a big question mark.

Do a Google search yourself if you really need to.

Connect Moderator

Re: Warning to install the new Version of the Google Maps app

@Mainzer this is a dangerous practice. The API is designed to work with current versions of the Maps app. Using an older version will lead to bad data in the Map and may fail completely. I strongly advise against this practice.

Using older versions will have ongoing consequences for both yourself and other Maps users.

The current issue of not being able to see some contributions will likely happen in older versions too because it is much more likely to be in the back end than the app itself.

Level 7

Re: Warning to install the new Version of the Google Maps app

You are wrong because the app works just browser based with open source licenses at least. I did got the old version that have better quality. And i did stop to update the App. This means after checking it via a proxy server all does work well and much better than the new app. Anyways i stop since a long time that google does not get second hand data and block them against google.

Google apps since the big google relaunch last summer (look here the discussion level). In general have much more less quality than before. This is a general problem also in Apps that do not match to localguides like News and Weather for example. 

The Maps app to show the views use Apache... See the licenses. So the app cause nothing of yours arguments. For to install an older much better solutions.

If google blocks things in using older versions i just deinstall like i did with the iphone. I use for iphone other solutions that work much better than the google app.

Youtube give here arguments in yours answer that are definitely wrong in direction to the backend.

Show me the code that prove and verify this wrong argiments. I use since some days a backend of Daniela Tocan (she is blocked here as local guide because hers discussion of the redesign of the local guide forum) webserver for POI. I have to say its impressing in main functions and some code issues are transparent.

Before i upload a picture in high Quality based on Wikimedia data i set a POI in google maps and upload without any further information pictures to Wikipedia. Google lost a lot of quality with maps and streetview in last year. I speak for europe special Germany. Today i was with the Wheel Chair walk in Dortmund. Its great with local instructions to get data special for handycapted people and set POI in mapping. And a big difference how google get the second hand data that in 85% of the cases are wrong. Local authorities do not give the data in Germany to Google and slowly i understand why.

In fact i did prove it again. The google app let you not control your own pictures and uploads. And this i see in relation to the end of Google + End of live 2. April. I will delete beginning at 25 of march all pictures from Plus independant i loose local guides stars. I think thats the background that here is a internal test of google to take the resources to their own. 

Its part of my strategy no good quality to google maps or just the less better quality pictures. That i normal delete anyways. I think its something like it happen with the panormino plattform before.  I hope article 11 and 13 come as soon as possible and it will not only cause Youtube. Also Maps and Street View. I did discuss it with politicians of the European parliament and i am not shure maps gets in europe a Geo Block in future. 

Anyways i do not see any problem not to use the old maps app for the moment. And deny any update as long issues are not solved.

There was an intermediate testing app and redesign last year and i can say for me i used this time to deinstall the app and to look for different place to upload.

This intermediate view was far away from usability how pictures was shown inside maps.