Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Wanted: questions for our solar eclipse livestream

It's owsome

Waiting for 2034 #india

Satyajit
Level 5

Will NASA also have any part in stream. I'm told they have some rather nice cameras up there.     Should look for a few sources......I'll be in San Jose when it occurs....try to post what I get on media as I can. Anyone know exact time of event?

Level 10

@Shannon around 9AM PST.

Level 1

with this, I don't think $20 solar eclipse glasses are worth it...

Level 5

Is this phenomenon will be seen in "Kupwara Jammu and Kashmir, India
Level 6

Thanks @AnnaDickson

Level 3

Re. whether it's an Annular eclipse or total, this one is a total eclipse.

That is, if you're in the zone of totality at the right time, the moon will completely cover the sun, and all that will be visible around the moon is the sun's atmosphere (corona). (BTW, that's the only time and place where it's safe to look directly at the sun.)

For the benefit of others, an annular eclipse is one where the moon is a bit too far away to cover the whole sun, so there is a bright ring around the outside of the moon where the sun's surface is visible. (Annulus is latin for ring, hence the name annular eclipse.) This bright ring is much brighter than the corona, so you can't look directly at an annular eclipse at any time. In the diagram in the original post, this would be a case where the tip of the conical shadow of the moon doesn't quite reach the ground.  

Level 2

THANK YOU

Level 3

Question:

During totality, (that magic 2 minutes or so at the right place), I realize it's the only time it's safe to look at the corona with the naked eye.  Is it also safe to look at the corona with binoculars during totality?

Thanks

Level 8

Hi @Tudor,

I also want to know the answer.

@Tudor wrote:

Question:

During totality, (that magic 2 minutes or so at the right place), I realize it's the only time it's safe to look at the corona with the naked eye.  Is it also safe to look at the corona with binoculars during totality?

Thanks