InnocensiaO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

WHY DO YOU CONTRIBUTE TO GOOGLE MAPS?

Advancement in technology over the years has restructured most if not all aspects our lives. It has been characterized by exceptional inventions and innovations in various industries, for instance, the developments in electronics, communication, computing, just to mention a few.

In computing, the birth of the World Wide Web (WWW) marked the onset of the information age. At its inception, internet users could only view content published on static web pages by the webmaster but further developments on the WWW enabled multimedia content to be generated by users through various interactive ways. The prevalence of websites and apps such as YouTube, Blogger, Facebook, Google maps etc. is evidence of the popularity of websites that promote user generated content.

Google maps, which is a pace-setter in the navigation and transit industry employs information from various contributors (local guides) from all over the world to help in improving the maps in a bid make it more accurate and current. The First Law of Geography states, “Everything is related to everything else, but near things are more related than distant things.”, this, therefore, in this setting means volunteer contributions are more accurate especially in areas where the contributor lives since they are more familiar with the local geography. This law, I think, is the premise upon which the local guides program was started.

With only a few weeks left to the Local Guides Summit 2017 and with the few interactions I have had with the other local guides on “Local Guides Connect”, I was able to glean the information below.

Motivations for participants in the Local Guides program  

1. Participating because it is a personal project (for school or work).
  2. Mapping professional looking to improve skills/knowledge or looking to keep up with the trends.
  3. Acknowledgment online by peers; number of views/points.
  4. Selfless contributors who contribute solely for the benefit of others with no expectations.
  5. Participating solely for the perks and benefits offered in the program e.g. invitation to the annual Local Guides Summit.

Feel free to point out your reasons or add more to this list.

Nairobi, Kenya, Africa, World
37 comments
Level 8

Re: WHY DO YOU CONTRIBUTE TO GOOGLE MAPS?

Because it give me a chance to showcase the rich cultural and natural beauty my region to the world. It is impossible for a human being to walk around every nuke and corner of the globe. Google Map gives an opportunity to witness the far off places which I could never have a chance to visit in my life time. So "sharing and connect" is my motto.

Level 10

Good topic @InnocensiaO . For Google Maps I will like to go along with Number 4 point which is this: and in addition as well if the benefit comes along of course yes I would accept it as well. We do it for love and as well the benefit that comes with it too.

1. Selfless contributors who contribute solely for the benefit of others with no expectations.

For Local Guides Connect: Reason I contribute to Local Guides Connect is because I want to educate myself, learn from different local guides from various backgrounds with their diverse cultures. Expose the rich cultures of my country as well to many people all over the word. And be able to meet and make new Friends all over the world.

Kind Regards,

Samson

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have many reasons to get and involved in Google Local Guide Program. For several occasions, many bad and fake informations (can be described as spam informations) that I have gotten from Google Maps. Then, I live at a small city Indonesia, while many places are not described well and contain wrong informations. Being a local guide also improve my ability to not to be a careless person and being sensitive to a new information. It is like a game for me that will give advantages to everyone. Interesting!

Level 10

I love that @Shasi

I use Google Street view to "travel". The 360 photos are quite something. 

Level 10

Thanks @HelloSamsonR

This post was inspired by also the reactions that people had once the summit attendees were announced. It really had me wondering about the motives of various contributors.

In my line of work, I travel a lot within my country. I don't know how I would get by without Google maps. I have immensely benefited from info from other contributors, I contribute to return the favor and also share cool places that my country has in plenty 😁.

Regards

Level 10

I hear you @Anonymous, the self-policing nature of this community is really great and serves to allay fears concerning veracity of the info added.

I sometimes "fact check" and if whatever is added is near my area, I always verify it on the ground. 

Regards.

Level 6

I really love your writeup @InnocensiaO. I contribute to Google to point out location of different places in Nsukka, Enugu state and Nigeria at large. To showcase to the world our beautiful cultural diversity. If you need to understand about our tourist center, do not hesitate to call my attention, it will be my pressure to help.

@OSAMA@OnyedikaBenjaminJ@dianamarie121@PaulPavlinovich@HelloSamsonR@BishowvijayaP, @Anonymous come and put mouth for this matter. Lol!

Connect Moderator

Great question @InnocensiaO! For me it's:

#4 - Selfless contributors who contribute solely for the benefit of others with no expectations.

I get a high helping others. I find writing reviews and uploading photos of the places I go in my daily life have been a great asset to my community.   Also, I enjoy pointed out unique or "local guides" tips of places in my reviews for others to be aware. 

Also enjoyed what other Local Guides are posting here as their responses to your thought provoking question.

Well done! Keep contributing here on Connect and get us "talking" more. 

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

I also simply loved it @Laurel. Great article @InnocensiaO. 🙂