ASMHasan's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Visiting the daughter of sea: 'Kuakata', Bangladesh.

I am a travel enthusiast person having limited opportunity of traveling. I have to give a lot of time to my job and to my family. I always look for an opportunity to travel anywhere in Bangladesh.

Two of my colleagues were from Barisal. One Thursday in a fine Late Autumn they proposed me to visit their village home in Kolapara, very nearer to Kuakata sea beach. I always had a wish to see Kuakata beach so I agreed with them happily. As Thursday was last working day, Friday and Saturday are holidays we planned to start that evening. We had no preparation at all, By seeing us another colleague also joined with us. After office we went to Sadarghat launch terminal had our supper and bought a packet of playing card then purchased four tickets on deck of the 'Surovi-8'. The launch started at about 9.00 pm. First we sat beside exhaust pipes of the engine with playing cards, as It was the Winter we felt comfortable but gradually the heat was increasing and we had to move our place.

Image030.jpg

We reached Barisal launch-terminal at 5.30 am. Just before anchoring a scary thing happened, a group of children aged between 8-12 years wearing large shirts without buttons run over the passengers and collected all drinking water bottles and stocked inside their shirt. We started for Kolapara at 6.30 am by bus, at 9.30 am we reached kolapara and enjoyed famous rosogolla and parata of 'Jogobondhu sweet shop' in Kolapara Bazar. We hired two motorcycles to go to my colleague's house, we went there by noon, took bath and eaten lots of rotis with duck curry. The journey was tiresome but the scenic beauty around us was energizing.

Little rivers and canals are very nice to seeLittle rivers and canals are very nice to seeGolpata (Nypa fruticans) or Mangrove palms are cultivated by local people. They produce a special variety of molasses from them.Golpata (Nypa fruticans) or Mangrove palms are cultivated by local people. They produce a special variety of molasses from them.

Our hotel was booked earlier and we went there by afternoon. Just after seeing our room we went to the beach. This is the second famous beach of Bangladesh is also known as 'Shagor Konna' by locals which means 'Daughter of the Sea'. You can watch both the sunrise and sunset in Kuakata sea beach. The beach is so natural and about 8 km long.

Idle fishing boats of local fishermen on beachIdle fishing boats of local fishermen on beachSunriseSunriseMorning walk is very pleasant on the brachMorning walk is very pleasant on the brach131120091073.jpg131120091083.jpg131120091086.jpgFew Taal gaach (Borassus flabellifer, commonly known as doub palm, palmyra palm) are attracting tourists attention.Few Taal gaach (Borassus flabellifer, commonly known as doub palm, palmyra palm) are attracting tourists attention.Sunset viewSunset view

Thousands of beautiful white sea shells and red crabs will make your walk on the beach more exciting.

Scattered shells are beautifulScattered shells are beautiful

There are some local restaurants which are comparatively cheaper. We enjoyed sea fish in a restaurant.

Sea fish right after it was caughtSea fish right after it was caughtSea fish right after it was caughtSea fish right after it was caught

Next day, early in the morning I went to the beach which was a one minute walk from the hotel and welcomed by some local dogs who are enjoying the beauty of the beach.

Local beach dogs are not scary.Local beach dogs are not scary.A dog is enjoying wavesA dog is enjoying wavesA dog is looking for fish.A dog is looking for fish.

We hired two bikes for seeing the whole 8 km which was quite fun . It costed us total around 700/800 Taka (4 people).

A motorcycle rider in front of dried fish processing yard.A motorcycle rider in front of dried fish processing yard.

One thing I forgot to share with you, the naming of the place, The name Kuakata originated from the word 'kua' — the Bengali word for "well" which was dug on the seashore by the early Rakhine settlers in quest of collecting drinking water. They landed on theKuakata coast in the 18th century after being expelled from Arakan (Myanmar) by the Mughals.

'kua' — the Bengali word for "well"'kua' — the Bengali word for "well"

A Buddhist temple and a statue of Buddha is another landmark in Kuakata.

Beautiful Buddhist templeBeautiful Buddhist templeStatue of Buddha inside temple.Statue of Buddha inside temple.

Some scenes of erosion by the beach reminded us the impact of global warming. I think the situation is alarming.

Impact of rising sea levelImpact of rising sea level

I am sure, the calming beauty of the sea will force you to visit Kuakata again. Thank you.

Image142.jpg

(All photos were captured by a very low resolution mobile phone camera, so the picture quality is not good. Apology for this.)

#lestguides #Bangladesh #bangladeshlocalguides

3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Visiting the daughter of sea: 'Kuakata', Bangladesh.

Hi @ASMHasan,

Thank you for sharing your exciting journey to Kuakata beach with everyone here on Connect. I loved reading your post and find it very interesting.

Do you have any hints you would like to share with other Local Guides if they reach Bangladesh and especially the place that you visited. What is the best way to sight see it as a local?

Please note that there is photo limit here on Connect (currently 1,000 photos). If you reach this limit, you'll have to delete older images before uploading new images. So my suggestion is that you pick the photos that you like the most and don't post duplicate pictures so you can have more space for future posts.

What is more could add captions and description to the photos that you upload. By doing this, everyone will understand easier the idea you want to share and your post will be even more appreciated.

P.S.: I don't remember seeing your introduction in the community. You could check the Introduce Yourself — November 2018 thread and tell us more about yourself there.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

@TsekoV Thank you very much for your suggestions. I had no idea about 1000 photos limit. As I am new in this arena, your advice is very helpful for me. Hope your support all time. I will upload some good photos or/and share the link of google album.

Former Google Contributor

Hello @ASMHasan,

I am looking forward to learning more from your experiences and seeing your future posts.

Here are some more tips I would like to share with so you could better understand Connect and how to write a great and descriptive post that everyone will appreciate: Welcome to the Photography boardWelcome to the Food & Drink boardWelcome to the Travel boardWhat makes a good postThe 5 core values of Connect.

Should you have any question, please don't hesitate to tag a Google Moderator for assistance. I shared the link to the list with all our usernames.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!