LydiaK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Visiting Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USA

My husband, daughter, and I recently made a road-trip to visit The Bonneville Salt Flats, close to where the western border of Utah meets Nevada. 

According to Wikipedia:

"The Bonneville Salt Flats are a densely packed salt pan in Tooele County in northwestern Utah. The area is a remnant of the Pleistocene Lake Bonneville and is the largest of many salt flats located west of the Great Salt Lake. The property is public land managed by the Bureau of Land Management and is known for land speed records at the "Bonneville Speedway". Access to the flats is open to the public."

My husband and I have lived in Utah for over 15 years and had often talked about visiting the salt flats. We have driven by them several times on road trips to/from California, and seen movies featuring the Salt Flats, such as 'The World's Fastest Indian' (a 2005 New Zealand biographical sports drama film based on the Invercargill, New Zealand, speed bike racer Burt Munro, played by Anthony Hopkins, and his highly modified 1920 Indian Scout motorcycle); but we had never stopped there before. 

The Salt Flats made a great day-trip and are well worth a visit. They stretch on for miles and it's crust, with its myriad of hexagonal patterns, is mesmerizing. They are a beautiful to photograph, and popular for family photos and magazine photoshoots. To the north-northwest of the Salt Flats are The Silver Island Mountains, which on clear days, make a beautiful backdrop. The Salt Flats also seem a good activity choice during the Covid-19 pandemic, when people are often looking for outdoor activities to do which are not overly crowded. 

0T5A9304 (3).JPG
Photo: Exploring the Bonneville Salt Flats, 2020.

The website Visit Utah shares some interesting information about the Salt Flats, such as history, visiting, and so on. Including:

* The formation of the Salt Flats began at the end of the last Ice Age, when the waters of ancient Lake Bonneville began to recede. 
* Entrance is free and open to the public most of the year.
* A 12-by-5 mile stretch occupying 300,000 acres of Utah’s pristine west desert, the Bonneville Salt Flats is like no other place on earth. A salt crust ranging from a few inches to 5 feet thick forms a perfectly flat, uniform, blindingly white crust as far as the eye can see. The flats are about 12 miles long and five miles wide, covering about 46 square miles in total. Visitors from all around the world have traveled to see this pristine, otherworldly landscape. 
* Aside from the beautiful views, the salt flats are an international hub for car racing. Several speed records have been set at the flats, including the one-time land-speed record of 630 mph, established in 1970 and standing until 1983.

If you are ever visiting Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, a one and a half hour drive (each way) to visit the Salt Flats, is worth putting on your itinerary.

There are many other wonderful places to visit in Utah, including: Bryce Canyon National Park, Zion National Park, Snow Canyon State Park, Moab, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Escalante National Monument, Capitol Reef National Park, Dead Horse Point State Park, Goblin Valley State Park, and more! I plan to share future posts about some of these. Happy exploring!

Lydia, Utah, USA.
Google Local Guide Level 8

LydiaK
17 comments
Level 8

The Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USA

Some additional photos from our fun trip to the Bonneville Salt Flats ?

Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USABonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USA

My husband enjoyed practicing his soccer juggling skills while there!

Happy exploring!

Lydia

LydiaK
Connect Moderator

Re: Visiting Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, USA

Hi @LydiaK 

I just released your two beautiful post from spam quarantine. Our filter is working to protect the community and you from unwanted content, but sometimes it can be triggered by something and remove a legitimate post.

Moderators are patrolling the quarantine to release the good post so, if your post has been rejected, don't post it again, because it will be probably rejected again. Simply tag a moderator (check here and here).

For more information you can read: Why was my Connect post marked as spam?

To keep Connect organized I have merged the two post together. Feel free to edit the second une adding extra contents, or more photos. The post is beautiful, and the place is amazing, I will be happy to read and see more about Bonneville salt Flats, The view from the satellite in Google maps is impressive

Connect Moderator

Me gusto mucho poder leer sobre esta salina en Utah, @LydiaK , en Argentina , en el norte en la provincia de Jujuy y Salta contamos también con varias salinas, desde las cuales se extrae sal para consumo humano y en otras se extrae Litio, un elemento muy importante para la baterías de los teléfonos y notebooks.

En el Bonneville Salt Flats, se extrae sal u otro tipo de elementos o solamente se usa para el turismo o el cine?.

la última recomendación es muy interesante, te animo a que crees una lista de Google Maps con ella y la agregues al post y la compartas así otros viajeros la pueden consultar y usar 🙂👍 

gracias por compartir 

un saludo desde la Tierra del Fuego 🔥 , Farid

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Level 8

Hi Ermest,

Thank you for explaining about the spam filter and for being a moderator. I've only shared a couple of posts so far and not run into this before. Now I know the process for next time 🙂

I think the spam filter may have triggered from me trying to edit the post a couple of times in quick succession shortly after posting it. When I first went to add my post I was having trouble adding the location on Google Maps. I typed 'Bonneville Salt Flats, UT' and various other similar permutations, and it wouldn't recognize the location. However, I thought having the map location on there would be helpful, so I went back to edit the post twice to see if I could get the location to work. I am guessing that triggered something to mark it as spam and the post was removed. I was sad to think the post I'd just spent a while writing was not going to appear. Hence the repost. But, thanks for taking the time to read, recognize they weren't spam, and combine them. I appreciate you. Next time, if I have any issues I'll seek help from a moderator. I look forward to sharing some future photographs and posts.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Lydia

LydiaK
Level 8

Hi Farid,

Thank you for teaching me about the languages drop down. Such a great tool to translate a post!

Thank you also for sharing about the salt flats in Argentina. Most interesting. I have been to Argentina (and Chile) once to hike Patagonia. It was one of my favorite trips. I hope to return. I also have ancestral connections to South America, so I feel a special connection to the area.

As for the Bonneville Salt Flats, as far as I'm aware no salt is extracted here for consumption. The area is just for conservation and tourism. However, there are areas close-by between the Salt Flats and the Great Salt Lake where table salt is extracted. On the drive between Salt Lake City and the Salt Flats one can see huge mounds of salt, and machinery and factories (Morton Salt) on the side of the road. 

An interesting fact: The Great Salt Lake is said to be almost as salty in certain areas as The Dead Sea (The Dead Sea has a salinity of 34 percent; the Great Salt Lake varies between 5 and 27 percent. Earth's oceans have an average salinity of 3.5 percent.)

I'm planning to add some more posts and lists of places to visit in the future. Thank you for your comments and encouragement.

Best wishes,

Lydia

LydiaK
Connect Moderator

We are here to help @LydiaK , and being a Moderator I had the opportunity to read your beautiful post before to release it.

Just one tip for you: Please us @ to tag the people you want to mention. In this way you will send a notification and this will make the interaction a bit easy.

For some tip about tagging people you can read: To Tag or Not to Tag? Best practices and rules about tagging people in Connect 

Connect Moderator

@LydiaK breathtaking and such a beautiful place, you have captured so many nice photos there. I will add this to my list of visit places.

Thanks for sharing it here dear!

Level 7
Level 7

@LydiaK Cerita kamu beserta foto sangat bagus merupakan niat baik untuk membagi informasi itu,saya mendukung kamu untuk terus berkarya.

Level 7

@LydiaK wow so beautiful place. Thank you so much for sharing with us.