PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Visit New York Transit Museum

Earlier this year The Court Street entrance to the museumThe Court Street entrance to the museumI was fortunate enough to visit New York. Some of my work and hobby history is around public transit both from operations and fare systems. Naturally I was drawn to the New York Transit Museum which you will find housed within one of the unused subway stations (Court Street) in Brooklyn New York. The station is still connected to the subway network and is still live and the museum's rolling stock is periodically rotated so on repeated visits you'll see something new. The museum also operates heritage subway rides from time to time using their vintage rolling stock to give people an experience of what the subway was like from the 1930's onwards. Ironically you can't get to the museum itself via subway and it is a couple of blocks walk from the nearest stations.

The main entrance is at 99 Schermerhorn Street Brooklyn, NY 11201 down a typical set of subway stairs, there is an accessible entrance at the corner of Schermerhorn and Court Streets.

The main hallThe main hall

Upon entering you meet the first of the volunteers who will greet you. There is a small charge for museum entry. Most of the volunteers are retired subway employees with a wealth of knowledge about the system and how it has changed over the years.

The main hall houses fare displays with examples of all of the different styles of barriers and some of the fare vending machines that have been used throughout the history of the subway.

Further in is a school area used to educate children (and people like me) on the history of the subway and its connections to the community through its initial boom years to the neglect of the 70s 80s and 90s to its cleanup, resurgence and re adoption as general mass transit by the people of New York this century.

There are also permanent displays on construction, subway art, political commentary and other aspects of subway life. There are temporary displays which change from time to time.

All the things you can't doAll the things you can't do

Always one of my favourites of government institutions is examples of all the things you can't do. Generally speaking signage in places such as subways tell you what you can't do rather than the more positive what you can do. Usually these things are for our own good but they always make you feel a bit unwanted. There is a significant display (hundreds) of such signage that has been used over the years.

Signalling and station controlSignalling and station control

As Court Street is still a part of the subway network, it has an active signal cabin where once the doors are opened allows the operator to route trains in and out of Court Street. While this looks ancient I spoke with a retired operator that said this station is typical of the stations across the existing network. The signalling systems of the PATH trains are currently being upgraded to modern technology and the MTA system is doing similar works progressively across the network.

Heritage subway carHeritage subway carRelatively modern subway carRelatively modern subway car

On the lower level you will find examples of most of the different styles and ages of heritage stock and the museum manages. It is quite interesting to walk through these cars and see how they compare to today's spartan cars that are largely vandal and graffiti proof. Also interesting are the examples of heritage advertising that today we'd consider to be a bit on the wrong side.

Thanks to Googler @TraciC who knowing I was in town and knowing my interests let me know about the opening of the new fare systems exhibit which was great to go and see and observe the opening ceremony.

You will find a whole lot more of my photos on the Maps entry linked above.

New York Transit Museum, Schermerhorn Street, Brooklyn, NY, USA
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Visit New York Transit Museum

que lindo post @PaulPavlinovich, este tipo de historias siempre me conmueven, ya que también son mis recorridos preferidos cuando visito ciudades nuevas,  ya que ir y ver como es el subterráneo de una ciudad, me marca cuan moderno es o cuan agradable es visitarlo, por ejemplo el subterráneo de Santiago de Chile o el de Panamá , me parecieron tan , tristes en estética para ver, para permanecer en ellos,  que apenas entre a ellos ya deseaba salir.  Es como que te deja estar en ellos solamente el tiempo indispensable, no me ocurre eso con el subterráneo de la ciudad de Buenos Aires, de principios del siglo pasado, donde el arte esta en cada pared que transitas, te cuenta historias, son de diferentes colores, las identificas rápidamente, en fin, gracias por compartir.

Primeras estaciones del siglo XIXPrimeras estaciones del siglo XIXSubte.jpg

Farid.

Connect Moderator

Most of the stations are very heavily used and while its obvious there are people trying to keep them clean most of them are run down @FaridTDF - there are some exceptions like WTC which is bright white and well lit. There are some other stations with tiled art incorporated into their walls and of course there are the Otterness statues Life Underground and sometimes bands play in the subway.

The Meetles Band playing in the NY SubwayThe Meetles Band playing in the NY Subway

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich

Thanks for the detailed review on New York Transit Museum.

Regards,

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Connect Moderator

Thanks I hope you get to see it someday. Maybe you'd like to write a post about a place you've visited?

Level 10

Rif.: Visit New York Transit Museum

Hallo. Thank you very much for the post. It is very interesting. Nice photos too. Have a nice day. 

Connect Moderator

Nice post @PaulPavlinovich! I sometimes find using the subways in NYC like entering a new world! Not just being subterranean and bathed in artificial light but just that with buskers there, I'm like, "Wait.. what... this is down here?!"

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Connect Moderator

Indeed @AdrianLunsong it can be remarkably like Middle Earth down in the subway with some of the stations hot enough to feel like a volcano and others being so quiet and cold that you feel like you're exploring some underground cave system.

Thanks @Carmelina62 I hope you get a chance to visit some day.

Googler

Loved your write-up, @PaulPavlinovich! When I visit, I love visiting the cars from the 1950s-60s with their wicker seats! My mom used to tell me about how they'd tear up her pantyhose! 🙂 

This is one of my most favorite places in all of NYC and I'm so happy you enjoyed it, too. I knew you would given you know and love trains a ton, but still. 🙂 How awesome was it to sit in the bus, too? 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

Thanks @TraciC how funny that I found this reply now six months later. I loved the museum and thank you for pointing it out to me. The bus is kinda fun as well as walking through all the vintage trains. I found the signalling cabin fascinating.