Yohanad's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Video mode: a new way to contribute to Street View

Dear @davidcox , thank you for your interest.

I left it to the judgment of THETA's auto mode as below : 

2018-06-03 08.01.02.png

I devised only the EV setting.

And as you are thinking, I also chose a sunny day for shooting.

That's all of my condition. 

Level 9

@potaro67  Thank you that is how I go about it with the ev settings.

Level 8

@potaro67 I am not worried about the shutter speed, but about the frame rate, as it should accommodate a max of 3 meter spacing between spheres and it should Google allow its image flow analysis. That means sampling should be sufficiently dense, I think. 

OmniSynThesis 360 VR Promotions - Joscelin Trouwborst
Level 10

Dear @Stafford , Thank you for picking up our (with @Anonymous) Hiroshima Blue Lines Meetups on SV Summit 2018.

We are honored.

I have some questions :

Can I use "New THETA V in 5.4k" video mode for making StreetView on the top of running car in 100km/h ?

The distance between photos might be 5.6[m]
( 100[km/h] / 5[frames/s] ≒ 27.8[m/s] / 5[frames/s] ≒ 5.6[m/frames] )

It is enough for the quority of My StreetView. 

But we ( @JoscelinTrouwborst)  are worried whether Google will convert that quality video to StreetView.

Level 8

Excellent @Yohanad

Level 7

Great news but please expand the compatible 360 cameras. My Xiaomi Mija wants to contribute videos 🙂

Level 8

Can somebody please tell me what cameras can use the new video mode? So far I've heard the Ricoh Theta V and Insta360 PRO, but this list of cameras advertises their video FPS. Is that irrelevant or is Google rolling out compatibility for new cameras?

Level 8

@eznoahn you are right, one needs a lot of reading between the lines to get that using the Google Street View app with video is on Android only and with the Theta V only. From what I understand, others are uploading video through the Maps API, e.g. Insta360Pro.

OmniSynThesis 360 VR Promotions - Joscelin Trouwborst
Level 9

@eznoahn From a video someplace I VERY clearly got the impression that the Theta V is the primary supported camera for the video to Streetview mapping. I see the others listed on the site but have not heard on this community anyone using them well for mapping and what the workflow is for the others.   They have the form for reporting Theta V problems that get immediate attention to correct when the navigation falls apart. For the other cameras, the information has to go by way of an API that each company has to develop and if they do a good job it should be fine, but not sure in that environment how you report problems does it go to the manufacturer and then to google to separate API vs map issues. From what I heard they do not plan to change that position soon. LuciaV might know better.  Will they put in a non-Theta reporting form?  I believe the focus on the Theta V is so that they have a low price point and can get as many users contributing as possible. The second point is they have locked down the publishing to prevent tampering with the upload for wrong purposes.

So far in this group if you want help and support the theta V seems to be what we are using then some are on the InstaPro for higher-end commercial work. That's my 2 cents worth and I may stand corrected

The second idea if anyone hears about the upgrade to theta V so that we will be shooting in 5.2 please let me know I am really interested to see the difference.

Level 10

I was able to create a StreetView from videos where conversion to street view failed.

Step 1. Retrieve the still image from the movie file at an appropriate interval.
Step 2. Import that still image into SVA.
Step 3. and then. As usual you decide the listing, arrange the coordinates, add a blur, upload it,And please do constellation processing.That is exactly the usual work.

Even if the Gpano tag is not attached to the cut still image, SVA will add it.

My first work by this method is below.I think that it is necessary to wait one more day before being reflected on the Web.
I cut out 80 still images and processed all in 2 hours.

This series of work contents is summarized here. It is written in Japanese. 

With this, I am not afraid to shoot movies inside the tunnel with my street view car.