Yohanad's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Re: Video mode: a new way to contribute to Street View

Hello, @TPA360

As always, thank you for all the details - it helped a lot!

The photos not showing in your Maps profile is, for now, intended - the team is still working on how to best display them. On the other hand, you can see the photos published in Maps and in your profile at the Street View app.

As per the the duplicate of blue line and dots, that was a known issue as well, but your example helped even more the team to debug. So, thank you!

Googler

@TPA360 can you send me a link to any of the photos that are appearing in that panel?  Thanks!

Level 9

@Stafford sent you a DM with the info. 

Level 10

@TrustedPhotoDC  Hi! can you post or send me the link of your update please? also i would like to know how many GB of video it require for a street of 100 meters, thanks!

Level 10

Level 9

@DavidElyashiv wrote:

@TrustedPhotoDC  Hi! can you post or send me the link of your update please? also i would like to know how many GB of video it require for a street of 100 meters, thanks!

I made yesterday 10 video sequences in central Uppsala. Size is 500 MB- 1.2 GB the length is measured in miles 0.05-2.03 miles.

The result is complete disaster. Two of the sequences aborted saying "Jan 16, 2018 10:11 Processing failed". One can not give Maps listing name to the clip, one can just upload and the system chooses random name from the gps vicinity or leave it unnamed and marks it with coordinates. Therefore I can not find them on the map.

One video of the ten is kept in my photos google.com album (why just one?) and there I am walking about 120 meter and the resulting mp4 clip is 578 MB, you can roughly say that 100 m is ca 480 MB in my walking tempo.

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipOeGogbv4_EP1j1i8ZbFiLGLfbmzKw4DOc9ACll

Here is an example of the transformed result

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Kungs%C3%A4ngen,+Uppsala/@59.8499311,17.6566964,3a,75y,174h,90t/dat...

The series is started at the entry of St. Per Galleria and got the name Kungsängen which is the name of a larger geographic area.

What is worse the video is neither kept as video nor transformed int o a series of linked photosphaeres, it is just one single 360 photo and the next one a few step inside the Galleria

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Kungs%C3%A4ngen,+Uppsala/@59.8504094,17.6558328,3a,75y,217.37h,69.9...

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Kungs%C3%A4ngen,+Uppsala/@59.8534275,17.6503842,3a,75y,209.81h,89.2...

In the Street View app under Profile I find 8 of the clips (2 failed). I can click on a series of single photospheres but 99% of the information is lost, the few is kept is under wrong name.

My earlier video attempt resulted a series of photospheres with coordinates as names, at least these are interconnected partly.

Summa summarum: the video handling from Theta V is worthless in present form. It creates more damage as usual information. I can not do anything wrong because my wings are clipped, I can just shoot and upload, the rest is done by some automatic system. I would be glad to assist to work out a better solution, until than I stop uploading Theta V videos via StreetView.

Level 5

Hello, @Lajos_J_Hajdu

Thank you for this important feedback! However, if I understood right, you used the video mode indoors, in a mall, is that it? 

This can explain some of the issues you report, as only outdoor videos can be converted into Street View (more info here).

But please let me know if I misunderstood it.

Best,

yohana

Level 9

@Yohanad wrote:

Hello, @Lajos_J_Hajdu

Thank you for this important feedback! However, if I understood right, you used the video mode indoors, in a mall, is that it? 

This can explain some of the issues you report, as only outdoor videos can be converted into Street View (more info here).

But please let me know if I misunderstood it. Best, yohana

Hi, thanks for your response. As I remember 8 videos were made outside, one in a library, one in a mall. These two inside videos always started outside in order to be able connect them to usual StreetView sequence.  The ma shows the blue line I walked along.

Two videos are still failed but the rest did show up a while and were processed.. This processing message disappered and under my profile I see the same isolated photosphaeres instead of video and instead of connected streetview series. Still problem the correct naming of the photos.

Level 9

@DavidElyashiv

.36 miles is 2GB  (579 meters)

Level 9

Some more tests and feedback.

@Stafford

Video Mode broke the capture into 3 files. When doing this, it looks like continuity can also be broken. I tested my new magnetic mount. 

Max Capture .36 miles 2GB

(3 video files for this capture. .35, .36, .08) https://goo.gl/maps/MNEMWAxEkfE2

LittleSnapper 6.pngGoogle Chrome 15.pngGoogle Chrome 14.png

The GPS accuracy in a mobile phone isn't very good and has considerable drift.

1 New blue line is drawn on sidewalk

2 & 3 Neither is accurate. Ground Truth has a drive through in the wrong position and added horseshoe, but also added 2nd line. 

4 Clean connection from road

5 Blue line broke and did not connect for some reason. 

Blue dots still create a messy and unorganized look to Google Maps. 

-chris