ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Versailles - where everything is Gold

Gold. This is the first word that came to my mind when I reached the main gate of the Versailles Palace. Oh my Gold. So much gold that I had to write it on my review too.

Caption: Palace de Versailles - The main Gate - Photo credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: Palace de Versailles - The main Gate - Photo credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

If you never heard about Louis XIV, visiting the palace you will clearly understand why he was called “Le roi soleil” (the Sun King). Gold and sun is also used for representing him

Caption: a detail of a paint, representing the Sun King - Photo credit Local Guide @ermestCaption: a detail of a paint, representing the Sun King - Photo credit Local Guide @ErmesT

Writing about Versailles on a single post is for me quite impossible: 700 rooms, hundreds (372, according to their website) statues, on the palace itself and and on the beautiful gardens, hundreds of paints, 500 mirrors, more than thousand windows, and a set of gardens where you can walk for days, and get lost. On this post I will concentrate on the Palace itself, and on the most famous fountain

Entering Versailles

There is a quite long queue to enter the Palace. We waited more than an hour before to enter. This should be kept in mind, when you want to visit Versailles palace.

In one day we wasn’t able to visit everything, the park (gardens) is huge and beautiful, we had to renounce to visit one part of it.

The price for the basic (entry) ticket is € 18,00, but if you buy your ticket online some day in advance, with € 30,00 you will have the possibility to get a “skip the line” ticket. We booked at the very last minute, but next time we will choose for sure a “quick entrance” option.

Caption: The long queue for entering the Palave - Photo credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: The long queue for entering the Palave - Photo credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

Everything is Gold

As we said, the first thing that get your attention is that “everything is Gold”, from the cornices of the buildings to the friezes of the paintings to the statues in the garden, Gold is all around you. There are so many details that you will need days to capture everything, paint by paint, statue by statue, room by room. Our eyes were already full of images, when we reached the Hall of Mirrors, the magnificent hall that is the heart of the public part of the Palace.

Caption: Gold Gold Gold at Versailles  palace - Photo Credit Local Guide @ermestCaption: Gold Gold Gold at Versailles palace - Photo Credit Local Guide @ErmesT

From there, looking from the windows, you will have a spectacular view of the gardens, that were designed just for being watched from there.

Napoleon

What I found very interesting, in Versailles Palace, is the the room dedicated to Napoleon. The “Coronation of Napoleon and Joséphine in Notre-Dame de Paris” is a very interesting paint dedicated to Napoleon's self-crowning. The paint is a copy (the original one is on the Louvre museum), but I'm fascinated by the incredible amount of details.

Caption: Coronation of Napoleon - Photo credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: Coronation of Napoleon - Photo credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

Napoleon loved Versailles. and le Grand Trianon, (that for lack of time we have not been able to visit)

Mesdames

The name define the area of the palace assigned to the 8 daughters of Louis XV.

Do not miss this interesting part of the building. The style is quite different from the rest of the Palace, with different colors, probably to mark visually the difference between the “King” area, and the rest of the places

Caption: Les Mesdames - Versailles Palace - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: Les Mesdames - Versailles Palace - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

The Fountains

Watching from the windows of the central body of the castle, you can admire, in front of you, the Basin of Leto. The area of the basin, composed by the fountain itself, the gardens and the stairs, is simply amazing.

Caption: Fountains de Versailles - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: Fountains de Versailles - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ErmesT
Here is my album with more photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nYLo7MPxeQjg6J9h8

On the next post, I will start to share some more detail related to specific aspect of Versailles.

Feel free to ask about something specific, so it will be easy for me to decide what to post next

This post is part of the #ConnectWritingChallenge , started by @AdrianLunsong 

70 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Versailles - where everything is Gold

What a stunningly beautiful building @ErmesT thank you for writing about it. I really enjoyed the photos.

How are you making your collage pictures? They are a great way to minimise the effects of the 1,000 photo limit here on Connect.

Could you break off a chunk of the gold and send it to me? Hehehe.

Paul

Level 8

@ErmesT great post!!! You explained each topic clearly!!!

Connect Moderator

Thanks for saring @ErmesT 

Yes Versailles is an amazing historical place.

Did you take any wide-angle shots of the "small" garden 😉

Leaderboards:  * Points   * Photos   * Videos   * Countries   * Movers & Shakers
  Star Leaderboards:    * Photos    * Videos   * 360 Spheres
  Star Albums:   * Photos   * Videos   * 360 Spheres   * Stars Discussions
  Join in:      * How to Register    * Register   * Login   * Extensions
Connect Moderator

Thank you @PaulPavlinovich 

Yes, Versailles is indeed beautiful, and big. Huge. You need at least a couple of days, if you really wants to see a lot of details.

I use the standard assistant of Google photo. Is a funny tool, because you don't have any control on the result. You put up to nine photo all together, and let the AI work

Connect Moderator

Assistant does ok @ErmesT I used it on my camera post. It seemed to figure things out. Changing the order would be nice but it seems to maintain an even density.

Connect Moderator

Yes of course @AdamGT 

not too many photos, because the small garden need a lot of time to be explored.

Here a view of the Orangeriehttps://goo.gl/maps/WALV1aoUYjEHtDtG6

Versailles is a paradise for local guides, as inside the palace and the gardens there are a huge amount of different POIs

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Male2019 

You can write a lot about a place with so much history, I tried to be very concise to keep the post readable.

But if you have any question, feel free to ask 🙂

Level 8

Hi @ErmesT 

Interesting report full of informations and amazing pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

Karol

Karol Tomasch
Level 9

Awesome place & beautifully covered by you sir @ErmesT 
I'm currently loving each & every picture you have shared here 🙂
Thanks for sharing with us