AntonellaGr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Venezia as a snow globe

Here is the image that most people have of Venice,  shifting from a sort of open air museum with its historical beauties (it is an open air museum indeed) to something "magic" that needs to be preserved better if it is in a snow globe

Gondoliere in a snow globeGondoliere in a snow globePonte degli  ScalziPonte degli ScalziView of  Canal  Grande from RialtoView of Canal Grande from Rialto

Scuola Grande di San Giovanni EvangelistaScuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista

In Venice you can find whatever you want for tourists. A lot, but really a lot of objects for tourists, there are more souvenir shops than supermarkets. Tourism is no longer sustainable as it is today. We are paying all the mistakes of the recent past, I would say between 90s and 2000, when whoever had 10 square meters (I am joking, you need more than 10 square meters) changed it in a B&B. Today Venice is becoming an empty town, but for tourists, of course.

Even "acqua alta" is becoming a tourist attraction. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of "acqua alta", the correct transalation should be "high tide", as it is related with the tide, but everybody says "High water" so you can choose. The point is that tourists experiencing "acqua alta" are really happy, it is something unusual for them,  but if they saw the "pantegane" ,very big rats,  swimming in the water they wouldn't laugh, trust me ?

small (beautiful) souvenirssmall (beautiful) souvenirsMurano glassMurano glass

Venezia is a real town, it is a labyrinth of small calli    and canals, you can get lost easily but it is not a big deal, look for Piazzale Roma, Railway Station or San Marco and you will find your way again. The hidden part is the most beautiful part of the town as you can see in Venice an unconventional view 

by @ermest.

Here is my Venice 

20190124_142726.jpg

20190124_134333.jpg20190124_141017.jpg20190124_152656.jpg20190124_140931.jpg20190124_141144.jpg20190124_152533.jpg20190124_135036.jpg

But it is not all... Venice  breathtaking part for me is the lagoon, far from the crowd, here you can have a look of the lagoon, in a bright day you can even see the mountains. The area is not far from Ponte dei tre Archi

20190124_141056.jpg20190124_140211.jpg

The Venetian lagoon ecosystem is very fragile as I already wrote in Venezia and its lagoon: spleen and Ideal close to Venice

Last week Ermes and I visited the Jesolo area, the area is beautiful but I couldn't smell salt. I remember the smell of salt years ago, now no smell...

20190113_152327.jpg20190113_152443.jpgVenetian lagoon at sunsetVenetian lagoon at sunset

For Venetians, Venice is its lagoon, they say it clearly VENEZIA E' LAGUNA

Venice is its lagoonVenice is its lagoon

20190124_152533.jpg

Venezia, VE, Italia
34 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Venezia as a snow globe

Hehe, this is funny @AntonellaGr 

I was ready to write myself a post (I will, in any case) about the day in Venice.

@KatyaL , just to follow our conversation about Venice, here is Antonella's point of view

I have just released your post from the quarantine.

Level 8

Hello @AntonellaGr  Thank you for sharing, beautiful photos 

Level 10

Hi @AntonellaGr !

I simply love venice...but not in this period!!

Usually I like to lose myself in the "calli" and discover beautiful corners where you can admire the time that seems not to be spent, see the children playing ball in the square! I love this city and thank you for the beautiful photos!

Bye,

David

Level 8

@ErmesT thank you for releasing me from quarantine ! I think it was because of "pantegane". Find out in the post what a "pantegana" is. 🙂 🙂

Cheers

Antonella 

Level 8

Dear @Eire27 

thank you. I really enjoy taking pictures of Venice!

ciao

Antonella

Level 8

Ciao @davidhyno 

I know what you mean, now I think the period is good enough. Cold but sunny and not so many people. Two more weeks and it will be overcrowded for Carnival.

The opening is Febraury 23rd...

It's not for me but I won't miss frittelle!!!

Ciao

AntonellaFrittelleFrittelleCarnival- Venitian MasksCarnival- Venitian Masks

Former Google Contributor

Hi @AntonellaGr,

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos with us.

I love Venice, but it's been a long time that I've visited. Next time I would like to go during the carneval. Do you know how is the weather in February? What are the must-visit places?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @AntonellaGr,

Thank you for your story about Venice. For me it was interesting to read another point of view and to understand a bit more about how the local people there feel in the lagoon and how they accept the atmosphere. It's a bit sad to see that it's getting empty. I've heard also about the awful smell and the rats from my friends who visited Venice recently. It's a bit disappointing about the salt in Jesolo that is getting less, too. Do you know the reason why Venice and the area is changing so quickly? For me personally is very interesting to know that. I like to read a lot about Venice and I keep following how the things are getting different.

Thank you @ErmesT for tagging me here. Indeed very interesting story, but a bit sad at the same time. 

It seems this is the reality. If I stay in Venice for a week or more, I'm sure I'll face all of these.

I was wondering how Venice looks like when there are not so many tourists? Is there a period of the year when it is not that crowded?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Hi @Petra_M 

thank I am happy you liked my photos.

Carnival in Venice is from February 23rd to March 5th this year. I do not know for 2020. In February weather can change suddenly. It can be foggy or sunny and cold.

Must-visit places? Mmmmm... everything?? I would suggest Palazzo Ducale and Basilica di San Marco, then Rialto and Campo San Polo. I like Fondamente Nuove too.

And Campo San Stefano and Accademia!!! Ok let me know if you plan to come to Venice, the list is very long!!!

Cheers

Antonella