StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Value of accurate public-sourced information on top of Google Maps

I wanted to just share on behalf of the many users of Google Maps in Kerala India, that there is tremendous value and benefits of  accurate and timely public-sourced information, even life-saving in critical times, when made available in and on top of the Google Maps platform.

The last 4 weeks has been nothing short of a calamity in the state of Kerala in South India, when unexpected significantly higher than normal rain fell, causing massive flooding throughout almost the entire state. And In the latest figures on of 30th Aug 2018, there are 483 confirmed deaths and approx 59,296 people still living in approx 305 relief camps. At the height of the floods on August 21, an approx total of 1.45 million had to be rushed to nearby relief camps. Many have lost their homes and life savings alike.

Over the last few weeks until today, many volunteer groups of people in the state including our members of the Kerala Local Guides have taken to providing easy to access, accurate and timely information to people who needed them. These information included where roads were flooded, where were shelters and resources located, where victims can get help and so much more. Although, it wasn't a magic wand to make problems disappear, each piece of accurate information shared helped tremendously.  There were many volunteer groups who have helped tremendously providing all these information in many varieties of sources and methods. And many rescue missions and groups, and victims had used this information.

The below is an example of a real and active on-going MyMaps maintained by a 3rd party volunteer group in Kerala that has over 4.3 million views. (I don't have the information about this specific group of people maintaining this particular MyMap), and the many other versions (maintained by many others) - these have been a great source of information for the entire rescue, relocation, sustenance efforts. Thanks to all the great work all these people contributed, rescue and help was easier, effective and efficient.

Kerala Flood Resources Link MyMap (one example)

(Click the menu button for legends)

So when we update and maintain Maps, do know that, however small our accurate contribution may be, all our contributions collectively add up into the platform serving ourselves in moments like these. That is why we as Local Guides try our best to keep Maps clean, accurate and up to date. 

Thanks all who have contributed, keep up the great job.

Kerala, India
4 comments
Level 9

Re: Value of accurate public-sourced information on top of Google Maps

Thank you @StephenAbraham for sharing your post.

Data accuracy is must, so we all Local Guides should add the absolutely correct information on google maps.

Connect Moderator

Thank you @StephenAbraham

You are right, absolutely right. Information have a value only if correct and punctual.

My hope, my dream, is to have all this kind of information, in the next future, available automatically on the "emergency" layer of Google maps.

This level don't exist yet, but it is my hope. That's why I am supporting Mapping in Emergency area.

The mymaps shared by you, is at the moment that we can do, so congratulations to all the Local Guides that worked on it. But in the future, we want more

Level 9

Absolutely true @StephenAbraham, thank you for doing your part in appraising local guides on connect about the situation in Kerala on connect.

Connect Moderator

It is awesome when people work together to help each other @StephenAbraham - I'm very sad for the people of Kerala. While you have flooding, much of our country has drought that is bringing farming to a standstill and causing much hardship. The world is a weird place. We just have to cope with everything our planet gifts to us including the calamities.