SP31's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Using Google Pixel's Night Sight as a Local Guide

Recently, Google announced the official release of the Night Sight feature for its line of Pixel phones. I was lucky to have received the update for my first-generation Pixel, and what better situation to try out this new feature than during a dinner at a dimly-lit restaurant?

I went to  ROK:BRGR, which is an American restaurant that specializes in large, unique delicious burgers. The restaurant itself is pretty dark with only some overhead lights, some ambient bar lighting, a few candles on table-tops , and large-screen televisions illuminating the restaurant. 

Below, you can see the comparisons between the "standard" shots I took versus the Night Sight photos - and the difference is definitely noticeable. The photo on the left is the standard shot, the photo on the right is with Night Sight.

FARMHOUSE (with chicken): aged gruyere, caramelized onions, fried farm egg, garlic aioliFARMHOUSE (with chicken): aged gruyere, caramelized onions, fried farm egg, garlic aioliBACON JAM (with turkey): creamy brie cheese, maple bourbon bacon jam, garlic aioliBACON JAM (with turkey): creamy brie cheese, maple bourbon bacon jam, garlic aioliEL DIABLO (with chicken): ghost pepper habanero jack, bacon, crispy jalapeño chips, sriracha mayoEL DIABLO (with chicken): ghost pepper habanero jack, bacon, crispy jalapeño chips, sriracha mayoFamous Mac N’ Cheese (with bacon): gruyere, fontina, parmesan, truffleFamous Mac N’ Cheese (with bacon): gruyere, fontina, parmesan, truffleInterior of restaurant using Night SightInterior of restaurant using Night Sight

So while this wasn't an extreme situation/use case, it did allow me to get more lighting and detail, as well as color, of the meals. I'm looking forward to trying this new camera feature out in different scenarios going forward when out at night or in a particularly dark situation, and I love that this feature allows us to capture our content despite difficult lighting conditions and share it with the world as we intended. This feature should be coming to all Pixel devices if it hasn't already hit your device, and I can't wait to see more Night Sight shots from other Guides as well! 

To learn more, you can click here to read Google's blog post on Night Sight. 

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Miami, FL, USA
13 comments
Level 10

Re: Using Google Pixel's Night Sight as a Local Guide

Thanks for sharing your experience with Google Pixel @SP31!

The burgers really caught my attention, they look so delicious. I really need a burger right now, lol.

I don't have a Pixel but I can appreciate through your photos the quality of its camera 🙂

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Connect Moderator

Thanks so much, @ValeriaA_! I'm with you - could use a burger AND a beer too right about now 😄

I love the photos you take so hearing that from you means a lot! 

Level 9

@SP31: awesome photos!! Did you get the Pixel 3?? 😄

It's now just before 12 noon and I'm quite hungry!!! 

Always excited to see your food photos though, you definitely know some of the finest spots in Miami!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Connect Moderator

Thanks, @Shirley! 😄 I know we're both big foodies so always happy to share!

Actually shot on my original pixel since getting the update to the Camera app, but with holiday specials around the corner, may try to get the 3 😉 

Whenever you're down here, I've got ya! 

Connect Moderator

Es una diferencia muy notable @SP31, es evidente que Google está mejorando muchísimo el software de fotografía, también es importante mencionar que el pixel tiene una buena cámara 📸 gracias por compartir tu experiencia, esto ayudará a varios a hacer mejores fotos. 😀👍

saludos Farid.

Level 10

@SP31  after saw this in meed night  my stomach  fight with my brain clipart-huppy1.png

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

@FaridTDF thank you! I actually read your response natively before translating and I was happy to see I understood most if it! I'm getting a bit better haha😀. But you're absolutely correct - Google has definitely taken their cameras to their next level - just when we thought the Pixel camera couldn't get better, Google surprises us! 😁

@MahabubMunna my friend I'm so sorry 😁 it gets me every time too 😋🍔

Connect Moderator

Me siento tan feliz por ti que puedas leerme sin traductor 😀👏😍 @SP31, con respecto a la cámara, la competencia es grande y solo los pesos pesados como el Pixel y el iPhone pueden competir de igual a igual en un mercado cada vez más móvil, muy bueno tu post, gracias.

saludos Farid.

Connect Moderator

😁😁😁 @FaridTDF

Indeed - and even with those heavyweights, I'm happy to see an improvement of cameras in cheaper, more affordable phones in emerging markets, especially overseas. It allows a better experience for all around the world! 😊

Saludos!