PriyankaU's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Ubadiyu

This post is a tribute to my favourite dish since childhood. I have very fond memories with this dish. My uncle use to bring it for us during winters.

Ubadiyu, a popular winter preparation in South of Gujarat. It is zero oil recipe authentically prepared in earthen pots over wood fires for authentic smoky flavor. 

Freshly cooked ubadiyuFreshly cooked ubadiyu

Seasonal vegetables like wild beans, brinjal, potatoes, sweet potatoes & purple yam marinated in a simple paste of green garlic & green chillies are used.

Potatoes, sweet potatoes and wild beans in a potPotatoes, sweet potatoes and wild beans in a pot

The vegetables are introduced to the pot in layers & sealed with leaves of an aromatic plant on top to avoid getting direct heat.The pot filled with aromatic plantsThe pot filled with aromatic plants

The pot is then covered with cow dung cakes that are then set on fire. A small amount of vegetables are placed in a small earthen dish at the mouth of the earthen pot to indicate if the Ubadiyu is ready. 

Ubadiyu being cookedUbadiyu being cooked

Ubadiyu has a non - veg version too, in that instead of vegetables chicken, fish etc marinated in garlic paste and wrapped in banana leaves are placed inside the pot.

Ubadiyu shopUbadiyu shop

It is super spicy but very healthy. Do try it once!!!

Check out the list of my favourite ubadiyu stalls in South Gujarat -Ubadiyu Shops

Gujarat, India
70 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Ubadiyu

Hey @PriyankaU,

Wow, this looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing this with us. Cooking it that way is my favorite part, because the earthenware just brings out the flavors. So awesome!😊 I'd love to be able to prepare this by myself. What about you, have you tried that?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hello @PriyankaU

This looks incredible! 

If I ever visit India, I will be sure to try Ubadiyu. I have never seen any dish be prepared like this, and if i'm not mistaking, you can't even make it in a normal kitchen if you want the right flavor. I can't even imagine how it would taste, but that just makes me want to try it even more. 

The one with garlic marinated chicken sounds delicious to me. 

Which one is your preferred version? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

@AlexaAC

Thank you soo much. It can't be cooked at home. My mother tried cooking at home, the taste wasn't authentic.

Level 8

Hii @PriyankaU

This looks incredible! 

This post and the photos are making me hungry.

Thanks For Shearing.

Level 9

@MortenSI Chicken ubadiyu is my favourite too. And also potatoes stuffed with the green chutney. Please do try it whenever you come to India, your taste buds will be delighted 🙂

Level 9

@rajuroyal Thank you soo much 😇

Thanks @PriyankaU!

I wanted to be brave and try to cook it the authentic way in my garden, but I guess I'm being a little ambitious.:) Anyhow, it's awesome and I really enjoy your posts!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

@AlexaAC If you want I can share you the recipe. You can try it 🙂

Thank you soo much 😇 

For sure, that would be brilliant, thanks @PriyankaU😊

It will be so handy for others looking to prepare this.