Isaac_Of_Cambridge's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

USB Charging + Mobile phone reception

Point 1: Mobile Phone Charging

One of the things that is becoming increasingly important to us nowadays is keeping our mobile phones charged. Anyone who has used an app that uses GPS (like Google Maps) will know just how quickly battery power can be drained, which can be terribly inconvenient if you are in a new city, or you are stuck in an emergency situation etc. 

I would like to suggest a new feature be added to Google Maps to allow local guides to tag a venue as having USB charging points or power plugs that can be used to charge our mobile devices. I think there has been many times that I would have chosen a venue to eat at, simply based on the fact that they had USB charging stations. 

All in favour, say "I"

Point 2: Mobile Phone Reception

Although there are many locations such as public places and restaurants that have wifi access, there is no way for us to quickly tag these options when we are at a venue other than writing this information into our reviews. 

I propose that local guides be encouraged to add this important detail to their venue reviews as I think it will add a lot of value. 

Example One

Geneva Airport, great free wifi which is accessible for the duration of your time at the airport but only after registration through an auto-enrollment process and an SMS code sent to your phone (for which you need to provide your mobile number including your country code)

OR

Example Two

There is no mobile reception in this restaurant as it is underground and no signal seems to penetrate it's walls on the xxx network. There is also no wifi available.

All in favour say "I agree"

Finally, Google Maps Developers might make our lives easier by inserting a 3/4G reception signal & wifi symbol to the review process.

All in favour say "Hear Hear"

Teaching. Changes. Lives
2 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: USB Charging + Mobile phone reception

Antoniod wrote: 

I would like to suggest a new feature be added to Google Maps to allow local guides to tag a venue as having USB charging points or power plugs that can be used to charge our mobile devices.

I'm guessing the percentage of places that have dedicated USB charging points is quite low, not worth having this as a Yes/No tag option on every business. 

All your suggestions will be of interest to a certain slice of Map users but the easiest, most efficient way to surface things like mobile coverage is for LGs to mention it in their review. If reception is noteworthily poor then reviewers will say so

Level 7

Re: USB Charging + Mobile phone reception

I agree with the usb charging station feature request.

I see those in bars and restaurants more and more and it's a valuable feature that should be added as a tag.

PS. please post feature requests separately in 'Feedback and Feature Requests' section (https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/bd-p/Feedback)