RohithaF's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Twelve Days for Big News

Thanks for tagging @KarenVChin

I know it isn't pure luck, but I can't tell you what Google's algorithm is for selecting us @RohithaF.

I enjoy what I do as a Local Guide, whether it is contributing on maps, hosting meet ups, attending meet ups or connecting with others here on Connect. Sometimes I have more free time and sometimes, other things in life get in the way but I do what I can when I can. It helps that I love to travel and eating out, which means lots of photos and reviews to add to Google Maps.  But I know others enjoy doing map edits, photo walks, etc. Keep doing what you enjoy and what is fun for you! 🙂 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 10

Hi @Shirley

So nice to hear from you Vancouverite. Every time I see your posts I miss West Coast and everything that comes with it; hiking, biking, surfing, skying and fishing etc.so much. 

I agree with you that people struggle to put the bread on the table while we do what we love to do.

By the way you missed the big point. I know you will be there for sure. If I happen to be there we need to finish what we could not last year. Singing "Oh Canada" 😉

All the best

Regards

Rohitha  

Level 7

I wish 😇, I will be the one of them, in selected candidates

SAM
Level 8

@RohithaF wrote:

Hi @Badruddeen

Yes Bud. Quite a contrast to the beauty of your pearly chain of islands. 

Thanks for the wishes. One of my wishes is to see you friends again in person.

Good luck to you too

Regards

Rohitha

That's my wish too brother Rohita.

Cheers mate

Level 9

@RohithaF!! Thanks for your kind words! You're always welcome to come and visit the west coast!!! 

I'm fine with either decision that Google makes, so we'll just have to wait another 10 days or so!

Since you mention you miss hiking, here's what I got to see when I went hiking yesterday with one of my girlfriends (that's her on the log)! I hope you enjoy 🙂

Norvan fallsNorvan falls

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 10

Hi @Shirley

Thanks for the great photo. Thanks also for the invite. Most probably I may be back in Vancouver before the fall.

For us it took almost 4 hours for this hike as we had different people in the group. You may done in 2 hours or shorter. I guess this is the best time for this. When we did there was so much slush.

Do you do Conquer Cancer Ride to Seattle on Fathers' day? I did it every year and miss the Mount Vernon climb, a lot.

If I get accepted, we could talk about all these and may be, do a nice hike like Mount Tamalpais.

Have you done Hudson Bay and Roche de Boule. Some pics here.

Hudson Bay Peak 8,000 FtHudson Bay Peak 8,000 FtGlacier Gulch. Note the colour of the rockGlacier Gulch. Note the colour of the rockP8043769.JPGP8043753.JPG2013-02-15 18.08.04.jpg

Kind regards

Thanks again Shirley

Rohitha

Level 10

IMG_20171007_144145770.jpg

Hi @KarenVChin

I found the picture

Regards

Rohitha

Level 10

Eleventh Day

The most wonderful gift I ever received during LGSummit 2017

We met last year in San Francisco.

The CanadiansThe Canadians

Friends came,

IMG_20180610_233440758_LL.jpgIMG_20180610_233655531_LL.jpg

they came from all over the world, they came with wide smiles, “Hellow”s, “Long time no see”s and they brought gifts. 

@HiroyukiTakisawa @RashmiM @SoniaK @AnuradhaP

The first ever was the tray of most authentic sweets from Tunisia. While were in the line to get into the inauguration party @HoudaR greeted us with a perfect Tunisian headdress.

Then @KarenVchin carried a huge box of candy for all us with her usual bountiful smile.

The birthday boy today, @YK1001

IMG_20171012_081815478.jpg

game me a sheet of Hong Kong stamps while we were on our way to Yosemite.

I treasure the turtle wrist band, from Sri Lanka with love, from @IlankovanT 

IMG_20180610_234028543_LL.jpg

Followed by currency notes,

IMG_20180610_233537553.jpg

coins, Guava and Durian candy, @TimBull Koala from down Under,

Tim BullTim Bull

banana crackers from Mindanao, Philippines, friendship bands

IMG_20180610_234230072.jpg

, pins, cups and mugs, letter openers

and Japanese paper flowers,

IMG_20180610_233251619_LL.jpg

key tags

IMG_20180610_234120390.jpg

there came by the biggest surprise for me.

IMG_20180610_233226529_LL.jpg

All above are the great tokens of friendship. But this is so wonderful to me that I do not have enough words to describe this. Why I am so attracted to this was that I used to make something like this for my kid brother. And every time I made a new one or fixed the broken one for him, he went nuts with excitement and laughter.

This wonderful gift from @MahabubMunna

IMG_20171012_081828426.jpg

is a toy chariot with a drum that is activated by the wheels as it starts moving.

These chariots are made by peasant craftmen in Bangladesh for sale in Mela. In rural parts of Indian subcontinent Mela is important commercial, religious, cultural or social gathering. He had gone completely out of his way to buy them from a distant village.

The wheels

IMG_20180610_233138015_LL.jpg

and the drum are constructed with the fine clay that is typical in active delta around the Meghna, the mouth of the Ganges River flowing from India.

It is so wonderful that the designer used clay for both wheels and for the drum so that the sufficient weight and friction is created by the lower part of the chariot to activate the two levers that works as the drumsticks to beat the drum.

The drum membrane is made by brown paper and pasted to the drum in such a tension, something close, to give C code, drum beat.

On the drum skin there is a drawing of a Bo leaf.

IMG_20180610_233200463_LL.jpg

Bo aka Bodhi  tree, under which Buddha attained nirvana, is the most sacred tree for the Buddhists in the Indian sub-continent. Ficus religiosa, Sri Maha Bodhiya, in Sri Lanks, is the oldest living tree (planted in 288 BCE; unconfirmed) in documented history of the world according to UNESCO. 

The drum sticks, chassis of the chariot, axel, pull shaft and cross bars are made of organic Bamboo. Untreated bamboo, bamboo not infused with insecticides is so rare in the world now.

Bamboo insect infestation occurs due to the presence of very rich sugary starch and other carbohydrates in the bamboo phloem, attracted by termites and beetles in tropical countries. How do I know that these are organic? After a month of sitting on my desk the chariot started expelling powder from tiny holes.  It was the Canadian winter. I left the chariot out in sub-zero temperature that may have killed all insects; it is back on my desk now.

The strings used for tying pull shafts together, cross bars to the chassis and reinforcement of the axel are all made out of Jute, the soft and glossy fiber, from the plant Corchorus Olitorius that can be spun into rough, strong threads.

Simple lever action, created by two lips, fixed on to the axel, beats the drum.

IMG_20180610_233212307_LL.jpg

The tempo of the drum beat depends on the velocity at which the chariot is pulled.

I am going to keeps this on my desk as long as I could @MahabubMunna so that I could open nice conversations about LGs when my visitors become curious about this strange gadget.

I value equally all great and small gifts I received from fellow LGs. But the above are all the reasons why I consider the beautiful handmade chariot is the most wonderful gift I have ever received during LGsummit17 in San Francisco.

Level 10

Day 10

This post is dedicated to the one and only LG who responded to my inquiry in the spreadsheet for LGSummit17 attendees, about Bruce Lee.

@HeyJoe

Finding Bruce Lee in San Francisco during LGSummit

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Travel-and-Advice/Finding-Bruce-Lee-in-San-Francisco-during-Su...

Under the heavens, under the sky, there but one family

Bruce lee

Bruce is just not a Kung Fu fighter; he fought for social justice too.

Bruce Lee VS Wong Jack Man FIGHT: What Really Happened

It happened right here

Site where Bruce Lee's Studio stoodSite where Bruce Lee's Studio stoodOakland  CAOakland CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVrKRiOpWtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fo1rvwevLA

US Supreme court legalized interracial marriage in 1967 three years after Bruce (Jun Fan) Lee married Linda Lee Cadwell, an American teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwQxlMPGffk

Regards

Rohitha

Level 9

@RohithaF Yaaaaaaay!! Finally man. Well i will look in to it when I get to work. 

How have you been though it’s been months?!!