ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Traveling like a Local - Venezia - Palazzo Ducale

Palazzo Ducale is for sure one of the more beautiful palaces of Venice. If you are planning a visit in Venice, bookmark this post.

Caption: View of Palazzo Ducale - VeniceCaption: View of Palazzo Ducale - Venice

The actual "Venetian Gothic" stile is just the last of the several changes, from the castle built on the 10th century, up to the actual public museum.

The palace was distroyed by fire several time, and always rebuilt, up to the actual beautiful form.

A personal note: if possible, avoid a visit during the weekend, when all the "locals" like me is moving from the whole region to spend a few hours in Venezia. I will be more relaxed and you will avoid a very long cue

Entering the museum, on the ground floor you will have ther opportunity for a bit of story of the restoration of the building. Do not miss it, it takes a short time but is very interesting

From there, you can move to the beautiful courtyard. Follow the indications for the wardrobe, that is located near to the stairs to access the first floor. You will need it, because bags and backpack are not admitted in the museum.

You are not in a hurry, take your time and look around you, all the details of the courtyard

Upstairs now, where Hercules and Atlas are welcoming you

Ready to move inside now. Frescos are everywhere, someone big, but most of them simply huge. Tintoretto, Tiziano, Paolo Veronese are the names of a few of the painters that worked for the beauty of the palace

Hope this picture will help you to understand the scale of the frescos

In moving from a room to another, you will have the possibility to find several different exhibitions. In may case it was:

Medieval weapons

History of the chemical industry in the Venetian area

And, just before to exit, a restoration room, where to watch the restorers at work. Great

For more information, or for a ticket online (you will save a lot of cue, in this way), here is the website of the museum

While you are inside the museum, don't forget to visit the "piombi". the ancient prison that is connected to "Palazzo Ducale" by the "Sospiri" bridge. I will also write a post soon so, stay tuned for more

11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Traveling like a Local - Venezia - Palazzo Ducale

There is some amazing history there @ErmesT thanks for sharing with us. 

Connect Moderator

Top post @ErmesT

loved the architecture and creativity. 

Thanks for sharing

Level 10

thanks  a lot @ErmesT for share Italian historical tourism place . if i visit must took few cloth for that nude guys 🙂  

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

Hahaha @MahabubMunna

Nude body was one of way that painters used for studying anatomy.

There is an interesting exhibition, in Urbino, with only paints of Saint Sebastian. The purpose of the operas was the possibility of "anatomical study" through the drawing of the human body

Level 9

lots of collections, thank you @ErmesT for sharing with us.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ErmesT,

Wonderful post! Thank you for sharing! I have never been in Venice but you have managed to take me there while I was reading your post.  

Cheers 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you @JavieraAu

This post is part of a story started more than a year ago, with an alternative guide for tourists (Venezia, an unconventional view) then continued by @AntonellaGr with Venezia and its lagoon: spleen and Ideal close to Venice

I am working, step by step, to the ultimate guide to Venice, I am so happy that just a single episode is already attracting you.

Just ping me before to come, there is much more to see

Ermes

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ErmesT

Indeed it was a real pleasure reading your post and the idea to do guide of Venice is really interesting. I am looking forward for the next part of your story. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hi @ErmesT,

Post - bookmarked! Thank you for all the information and step by step guide inside this beautiful palace.

I'm a huge fan of the Italian architecture and art. All these photos remind me of my 3-hour walk around the corridors and buildings of the Vatican 3 years ago. I hadn't seen such elaborately decorated walls and such exquisite statues until then!

I guess it's high time I planned a trip to Venice as well. 🙂

Looking forward to your next story!