Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Traveling in Italy with a Local Guide

Weldone you are doing a great job...keep it up...Thanks for sharing @ErmesT

Connect Moderator

Thanks for your words @AlejandraMaria, it means a lot for me.

Well, as you know, "Mapping in emergency areas" is an idea that started long time ago, but I needed a long time to be able to fully explain the concept.

Earthquake is an extreme example, but we can think about flood, or every other situation in which a community need to know where to go and how to do it, in emergency situations, with closed road and short time. Information must be updated immediately, every delay is dangerous.

PanoramaPanorama

Connect Moderator

Thanks @SergeySud, @MahabubMunna 

Yes, I really hope to be able to be on CL18, to talk about "Mapping on emergency areas". In my mind this is a challenge, for a next step of Google Maps

Ermes

Connect Moderator

Hola @ErmesT, el concepto que indicas Mapeo de zonas de emergencias, creo que no está muy desarrollado, al grado de convertirse en una capa más, de los tipos de vista de Google Maps, salvo en hacerlo uno, con un mapa personalizado de la zona de desastre. Estoy pensando en el caso concreto de una inundación por lluvias y desborde del cause del río principal, ocasionado el corte de carreteras y suministros vitales, como la corriente eléctrica, el agua potable y otros. Es verdad que estás contingencias generalmente Defensa Civil DC de cada región y país, lo tiene estudiado y evaluado...🙄 creo ....Como sea aquí es donde puede intervenir el conocimiento del Local Guides para ayudar a generar estos mapeos con información extra a la de un mapa común, un mapa para usar en catástrofes, tipo si tal cosa ocurre.

Puente colgante de Río Grande, perdido en un inviernoPuente colgante de Río Grande, perdido en un invierno

Saludos Farid

Connect Moderator

I am in line with your thought at 100% @FaridTDF.

I want to share with you one experience that I had last year in the area.

We were there in June 2017 for two meet-ups, with a lot of people coming. One important road, closed from October 2016, was the way that Maps showed to them as the fastest way to reach us. Despite our effort to mark the road as closed, we weren't able to do it, for a very long time.

Of course, I believe that this kind of information should be controlled/shared from an official public source. Step zero cannot be managed by Local Guides (it should pass through wat we call Civil Protection).

Flooding is a perfect example of this situation: people need to know where to go, and how to reach a safe place, and they need the information now.

Then, for step 1, Local Guides can start mapping. I believe that is possible to release a "emergency only" level, where to add categories of POI that will slowly disappear, when the emergency end.

Ermes

Level 8

Hi @ErmesT nice to see you in this video. Nice and beautiful country.

Level 10

Hi @ErmesT,

You are amazing Ermes ! You never stop giving and you are such a great example. Congratulations!

You are giving me some more energy and motivation to carry on helping people in need.

Thank you

Jul

Connect Moderator

Thanks @JR_Curley@JosephDewey

we are drops in a big sea, but at the end a big sea is only a huge amounts of drops. I believe that every single drop count, and working together we can reach some good result. One of the important thing that everyone can do in this kind of situation is: Listen, listen, listen. One of the danger, in situations in which the emergency is present for a long time, is the human factor, the feeling that the population have to be abandoned, unheard. This can lead to the depopulation of the areas.

Moving door to door, tent to tent, speaking with people, listening, is so important.

Distributing goods is a good way for approaching people, everyone of them have a story to tell you

DSC00349.jpg DSC00357.jpg

Connect Moderator

hi @ErmesT, sorry for delay to know your awesome post. I do love everything about your stories; the pictures, the vibes, the atmosphere. Many Local Guides will take the inspiration from your story. Again, Thanks for sharing 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides
Connect Moderator

Thanks @Shirley, this part of Italy, is amazing, despite of the earthquake, and tourism is absolutely needed, to give an impulse to the restarting of the local business.

Food is wonderful (have you heard about Black Truffles?)

the nature is gorgeous in every season, you can have summer at the lake, or walking through a lot of paths, you can ski in the winter, and visit Historical places, a full immersion in the Medieval age

DSC01806.jpg