cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Traveling Like a Local - How To write a traveling post

DSC02335.jpg

This post was inspired from a sequence of recent events:

• San Francisco Local Guides Summit 2017 - where more than 100 people, arriving from 62 different countries, were helped to arrange their stay and things to see, do, and eat, by a group of local Local Guides. Read more: LGsummit2017-A-local-Local-Guide-guiding-Local-Guides.
  • A post from @TraciC inviting the Local Guides Connect Community to visit and participate in our Travel board.

DSC01620-COLLAGE.jpg

Why “travel like a local?”

A Local Guide has first hand, local knowledge of the places he goes to often than a travel agency who does not.

What are Local Guides?

• Local refers to the places where we live, to the area that we know
  • Guides refers to what we do naturally - sharing our experiences, helping others, providing information that, being Local, we have and know.

As Local Guides, nobody has the local knowledge that we have about our places

Why not share our experiences, help others, and suggest what to see, do, and when to go?

We can do this in Travel Topic

In Local Guides Connect, there are many travel and advice-related posts that already exist. For those posts, we may only need to make a some  additional edits, add more detailed information to have a more useful, helpful post.

How to write a great Travel post

• (Where) Location - Insert at the beginning of your post “Name of the place/city/town - State” link to Google Maps

Location.JPG

• (How) to reach it - Information about closest airport, train station, bus stop, etc.
  • (What) to do /(When) to visit: This is the core of your post. Here you can post your photos, write your story, your recommendations: what you “must see and do,” when and where to go, etc. You might already have existing content you shared in Connect’s “Share Your Photos and Discoveries” board. Here, you can add more details and give new life to your already written post.

NOTE: Please do not advertise or promote your services, just provide detailed, helpful information. If someone wants more detailed information, they can contact you directly.

Want some suggestion?

Traveling like a Local - Italy - Where to stay

SANY0042r.jpg

Venezia Biennale - Palazzo MoraVenezia Biennale - Palazzo Mora

Adding extra information to your helpful Travel and Advice post

• Accommodation - Where to sleep, price average, best area for an hotel, etc.
  • Food - Where to find restaurants but, more important, what to eat
  • Events - Suggested events to attend, when the event is
  • Everything you think that can be useful for your area

DSC02572.jpg

Write your title:Traveling Like a Local - <destination>

For an easy search, tag your post with Name of the place, City/town, or State

Feel free to share your post in all socials,  with the hashtags #LocalGuides and #TravelingLikeALocal

We look forward to reading your helpful, informative future Travel post!

47 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Traveling Like a Local

Hi @ErmesT!  Always a pleasure to see your Italy pictures and this is a very educational post that many LGs should benefit from. Great work!

I am not available to respond on the weekend

Hi @ErmesT

Thanks for your amazing and very useful post! Loved your link to Venice and Palazzo Mora, which is a shining example embraced by "the city of mirrors, the city of mirages, at once solid and liquid, at once air and stone.” [Erica Jong].

Many thanks!

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing this useful Post @ErmesT

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Beautiful photos @ErmesT! Thanks for sharing 🙂 

Level 9

Amaaaaazing bro @ErmesT :)))

Level 9

Thanks you @ErmesT for sharing it.

flagnepal acetreks.gif  - Nepal | YouTube
Level 10

Great post @ErmesT! Thanks for feature it! 🙂

As Withlocals ambassador i can understand what do you mean 🙂

Level 9

@MariaBi " The best and the most beautiful things in the world can't be seen or even touched they must be felt with the Heart " Helen Keller 

And this is the beauty of Wonderful Cities and Countries 

And also the  Great People like @ErmesT 🙂

Connect Moderator

A big thanks to everyone. I'm so happy that you all like it, my thoughts was exactly to create a reference post, we are in the age of the maturity of Connect and we have a lot of people that provide beautiful contents, so some guidelines can help.

A special thanks to the hidden co-writer of this post, @KarenVChin

She did all the editing, transforming my idea in a beautiful post. 

@BruceDM

I'm happy that you like it.  

@MariaBi

Yes, palazzo Mora is definitely an interesting part of "the Biennale", and being invited there for a speech about Re-building ( @AntonellaGr of course was invited) was a great emotion.

@AGarner

I'm happy that you like the photos. 

Hope that more photos will come, from LG inspired by this post.

Ermes