Kamalhasnainee's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Traditional pottery : An art headed towards extinction day by day.

Hello friends, today I would like to let you know about an art which is headed towards extinction day by day from us and it is Traditional Pottery. 

Pottery' is a traditional and lovable craft in Hindu families in Bangladesh and also in other countries. It's a traditional profession that is carried by their families in Hindu but the scenario of this profession is changing now. Recently I have visited some pottery villages in Muradnagar, Comilla where those families are living their lives with this lovely profession who are not interested anymore to engage their family members with this profession because of low demand of their products and really the demand of those products are decreasing day by day. 

Modern peoples are using silver, bronze and melamine for household products like showpieces, plates, mug, sculptures, terracotta with clay etc.      

I am astonished after seeing their activities in their working places. Their doing magic with their soft hands. They are touching the clay in the rolling wheel and making something a new item which is really a magic of their hands. I was seeing their lovely activities for long time. Really I love them who are making those lovely items with their passion. Let's move and visit with me virtually -   

process of making products with their magical hands on wheelprocess of making products with their magical hands on wheel

Procedure for heating manually with fireProcedure for heating manually with fire(There are 1000-1200 products in this heater) Procedure for heating manually with fire(There are 1000-1200 products in this heater) Procedure for heating manually with fireproducts are drying/heating by sun powerproducts are drying/heating by sun powerproducts are drying/heating by sun powerproducts are drying/heating by sun power

to see the full album please follow the link Album Link Here.

What about in your country? Is there any art/items like this of our country which is headed towards extinction day by day? 

@KlaudiyaG @ermest @KarenVChin @BishowvijayaP @SalmaanN @DavidTito @ShafiulB @LucioV @IlankovanT 

Thanks for being with me

Kamal Hasnainee

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Muradnagar Upazila, Bangladesh
18 comments
Level 10

Re: Traditional pottery : An art headed towards extinction day by day.

Hi @Kamalhasnainee

You are correct, it is mostly replaced by plastic, if we start using it again it will reduce plastic pollution and survive art of making earthernware items.

Nice Photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Vijay Desai.

Level 10

Thanks for letting me about the post with a tag @Kamalhasnainee.

We also had used to use clay pots before for different purposes. But the clay pots are limitd to plant the flower and decorate the home's surroundings. The main factor of this extinction are the cheap products of plastics. Previously earthen pots were used to keep water. Earthern pots have a quality of keeping water cool in summer and luke warm in winter. Also clay pots were used to make curd. 

Its the technology versus technology. The modern technology is machinary and its replacing the ancient technology because of monetary value. The society is inclined to use products with cheaper cost. I am happy that atleast you preserved the ancient technology in the form of video for future generation. Thank you so much. 🙂

Connect Moderator

@Kamalhasnainee @@@@its called the hidden gems! you got it and Missed this time.  Thanks for this post and share our local tradition.

Level 9

@VijayDesai Actually we need to think about ourselves to keep our environment clean without plastic materials but it just opposite situation in everywhere that we are not seeing anything without plastic. In everywhere plastic materials are leading our household items which is really threatening our lives and the next generations.

@BishowvijayaP in our country and I hope in your country also using some items of pottery which is mandatory to use. So, just look at those products those are not replacing with modern technology then I think it is just a matter of thinking to go back to our well known items to be safe.

@ShafiulB Yes brother, that people of the area and those products are really the hidden Gems of Comilla, I agree with you.

Thanks & Regards

Kamal Hasnainee

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 8

Hello @Kamalhasnainee

Thanks for sharing this amazing photo story. It's really awesome and we should really preserve our traditions. 
Namaste, Niraj

Connect Moderator

@Kamalhasnainee, thanks for tagging me. I would say making pottery like this isn't extinct in the US.  But it is made for decorative or artist expression, not necessarily for everyday use in a mass production kind of way as this Bangladeshi is doing here.

We use glass, plastic, or stainless steel more when it comes to food storage. If it is terracotta or ceramic, it is mass produced made cheaply in a factory, most likely from China.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 8

Really glad to see this. @Kamalhasnainee, thank you so much sharing and capturing our tradition and culture in your own camera. Wow. It's really amazing.

Level 6

we must change the new culture of plastic.if the all local guides are redy to aviod the plastic product may be .9% of polution is controled by us.make a small diffrence . thanks for shering the wondrfull pics.

Gopalshankar.
Level 9

Wonderfull post, thank you @Kamalhasnainee for your nice post.