YulianusLadung's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Traditional floating market of Lok Baintan

A trader with her local fruits at the Lok Baintan floating marketA trader with her local fruits at the Lok Baintan floating market

While there are also other floating markets in Banjarmasin (the capital city of South Kalimantan), Lok Baintan is the most famous traditional floating market among travelers. The Lok Baintan floating market is located at the Martapura river, a 30 to 45 minutes driving, or 50 to 60 minutes using boat from Banjarmasin. As its named, this market is dynamically moving through the river stream; it started from the upstream of the Lok Baintan village to the downsteam of the river. Most of time, the best hours to visit this market is between 06:00 AM to 07:00.

Both driving or using river boat, you can have new experiences along the way to the market. The morning activities of the local villagers, the fresh-air of morning mist of the Martapura river as well as the sunrise. The traders in the market are selling range of commodities, from their farm products and other kinds of household merchandise.

The main transportation at this market is jukung (a traditional wooden boat). As any other markets (onshore or offshore), the traders will approaching you with fruits, foods for breakfast (Nasi Kuning, Soto Banjar, etc), coffee or tea, local souvenirs, and many others. If you dare, you also could jump in to the traders jukung with no extra cost but buying some of their products.

Nasi Kuning (Yellow Sticky Rice)Nasi Kuning (Yellow Sticky Rice)

Some traders on the Lok Baintan annual festivalSome traders on the Lok Baintan annual festival

The jukung and its ornaments of Lok Baintan festivalThe jukung and its ornaments of Lok Baintan festivalThe jukung and its ornaments of Lok Baintan festivalThe jukung and its ornaments of Lok Baintan festival

Daily activities of Lok Baintan floating marketDaily activities of Lok Baintan floating market

A wooden traditional bridge crossing above the Martapura river along the Lok Baintan areaA wooden traditional bridge crossing above the Martapura river along the Lok Baintan area

If you happen to visit Banjarmasin or South Kalimantan, then you should consider to spent your morning at this dynamic traditional spots. And below is my video blog from my last visit to Lok Baintan.

Have a good ones everyone ?

Lok Baintan Floating Market, Sungai Tandipah, Banjar, South Kalimantan, Indonesia
29 comments
Level 7

Lok Baintan Floating Market, Banjar Regency, Indonesia

A cheerful tourist at the Lok Baintan floating market, Banjar regency, Indonesia.A cheerful tourist at the Lok Baintan floating market, Banjar regency, Indonesia.

Level 7

Bls: Lok Baintan Floating Market, Banjar Regency, Indonesia

colek @AndrianN yang kampung halamannya disana, dan ada adeknya mamah saya juga tinggal di kalimantan 😁

Level 3

Re: Lok Baintan Floating Market, Banjar Regency, Indonesia

@YulianusLadung lovely pic... i like shopping in floating market.. great experience

Level 7

Bls: Lok Baintan Floating Market, Banjar Regency, Indonesia

Wah pastinya kangen Soto Banjar kan @360bymiftah 😄

Level 7

Re: Lok Baintan Floating Market, Banjar Regency, Indonesia

Iyes @AmiOrang memang seru kalau jalan-jalan ke Lok Baintan, bisa kulineran murah meriah. Liburan yang bermanfaatlah ...

Level 10

Re: Traditional floating market of Lok Baintan

@YulianusLadung looks like a great place to visit and to experience local life there. We don't have a floating market in Malaysia where I am, but I have been to the ones in Thailand. There is so much fresh produce and very interesting to see all the delicious food sold there. Nasi kuning is colored using turmeric? We have a version also called Nasi Kunyit. Thanks for sharing. It's an interesting post to read.

Level 7

Hi @StephenAbraham thank you 🙂 Yes, I might be wrong, but basically nasi kuning is a Nasi Lemak in yellow right? And also, the yellow came from Kunyit as well 🙂  I wish the article could ease our days during these recent days.

Connect Moderator

Mas @YulianusLadung  wuihhh tempatnya keren nih buat ber-selfie , makanannya juga kelihatan enak ya ,mention mas @iorikun301 ah ,yuk kita makan ini nasi loh haha

Connect Moderator

Wow this is interesting @YulianusLadung ! I recall @StephenAbraham just posted Nasi Lemak on his social media. This rainy season makes me hungry all the time! Should I get one? Lol. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Indonesia Local Guides