Brett's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Tourist 101 - Local Manners

@Shirley . it's interesting to know the escalator etiquette around the world, that will be great if we can have a list of them for the whole world.

And it seems the side you chose is not related to the steering side @VitB 

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Fine me on Instagram: brett.to.go
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Brett,

I loved reading the examples that you shared with us.

As for the first and second point, I was totally familiar with this, but as for the third point you really surprised me. I never knew what that fact. I would like to ask you how do you rinse the tableware with the cup of tea? Do you put them inside and let them stay for a while? This is quite interesting.

I would like also to share some of my observations that I have seen in China:

1. When you enter a restaurant, you will be served a small warm towel to clean your hands;
  2. While eating with chopsticks, it is quite impolite to put the chopsticks inside the ball of rice as locals usually do this to respect those who are gone. Chopsticks should be put aside.
  3. A traditional way and formal way of greeting someone in China is to bow and to put your hands in front of you, by placing the right first on the left palm. The meaning behind this is that people (used to) wear weapons with their right hand and by placing it on the left palm, you show respect and eagerness for peace. If one does it the other way around, naturally it would have the opposite meaning.
  4. Many people in China dislike the number 4, as by pronouncing it in Chinese, the word sounds like "death". People don't buy phone numbers with 4 and those who buy their phone numbers with 4 actually do get some discounts for the number. Many hotels and buildings don't have floors with the number 4.
  5. I also remember when sitting on a circle table, there are rules that apply there. There is specific place where the guest can sit, elder people, kids, who can face the door, etc.

@KarenVChin I am curious what customs do you have in San Francisco that are specific for the region? Do you know something more about my 5th point about the circular table? I don't quite remember the specifics about it.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@TsekoV ,  you ask a great question regarding Chinese Dining Etiquette (Your Question #5).

For who sits where, who serves whom, and who pays for the bill, here are these two links that best describes how I was brought up:

1. There is always a "fight" for the bill.  You never split the bill. The host will pick up the whole tab. 
  2. Always serve first the best items to the oldest person(s) first - this is out of respect.
  3. As the host or younger person, you serve your guest or the elder person next to you. You do this by putting choice bits of food on their plate throughout the meal. You're constantly filling their teacup or pouring alcohol in their glass. It never goes empty or dry. 
  4. There isn't a lot of talking once the food gets to the table. 
  5. Yes, there is a seating arrangement for a round table (see both links for more details).
  6. If you are eating at a banquet, there is no white rice. The idea behind this is that white rice is common, cheap, and can quickly fill your stomach up (aka filler). Your host will only order choice or specialty dishes and the more of these dishes should make you full and very content.  There could be a specialty fried rice (usually has seafood in it) at the end of the meal.
  7. There should always be leftovers after the meal - meaning your host has ordered an overabundance of food - your stomach should be stuffed and they can take food home.
  8. Lots of toasting, especially if the table is drinking alcohol, throughout the meal.
  9.  At the end of the meal, or if crab or lobster was served, there are warm towels to clean your hands or at the end pour hot tea in a bowl and dip your fingertips to clean your hands. Hot tea always cuts the grease or oil. 
  10. Burping at the end of the meal is a sign of contentment. Shows you have had a great time to your host. Elderly are really good at burping. The younger generation doesn't make these loud sounds because we are too American. But we do giggle or smile when we hear a good belch. = )

I can go on about dining etiquette and manners.  Hope this gives you better sense. 

@ErmesT , when you were living in China did you see or do these things while you were eating with your business hosts?

As for purely American manners, as @Brett  mentioned, Americans also always stand to the right on an escalator or people mover (airport) if you want to stand as you go up while the left side is for people who want to walk up the escalators.

Americans queue. Where ever the line starts, that is where you go to stand in line.  Jumping, or cutting in line, gets people very upset. They will call out the person to go the end of the line. 

Americans are big on saying "Hello or Hi," Excuse Me," "Thank you." Lots of smiling and direct eye contact, but at times no direct eye contact in public situations such as in riding in public transit (bus, subway, train). 

Americans like to shake hands or hug when meeting. You can be an acquaintance and at times it seems normal to hug.  If I know the person is not from America, I will tell him or her "I am American. We like to hug." before reaching out. Also, it can depend on how long you hug, the gender, and how close the person is to you too. 

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Thank you for asking @KarenVChin 

I only had a couple of "official dinner" and all "the ritual" was amazing, starting from the arrangement of seats at the table, indicated by the very elaborate arrangement of the napkins: the highest was showing the seat of the host. The guest was in front of him, and his napking was shaped in a composition that was a bit lower in height. Nobody eats until the guest starts eating. Usually the guest starts with the most appetizing course (in my case, it was chicken feets).

I also remember a lot of alchool, (moutai -  茅台酒)

My second dinner was more informal, with Karaoke and a lot of fun, but in that case I was the host

@KarenVChin, while reading your comment and the facts you shared with us, I felt as if you brought me back to China for a moment. I think I have experienced almost all of those interesting facts. A fact that really surprises me is the 9th point. I never knew before that people serve the tea so one can clean his/her fingers. I always thought this tea was for drinking... : ) These are the culture differences, aren't they, hehe.

By the way, I remember one more interesting fact about Chinese people. It is connected with your 10th point. I know that in Chinese culture, sometimes in Korean culture too, people love to make sounds while truly enjoying a meal they are having. As you mentioned, it is a normal thing to burp. What I have always found quite interesting is that people love making loud sounds while eating noodles. This is something that for me is kind of different to accept. When eating we try to be as quiet as possible while Chinese, for example, love the opposite.

@ErmesT, Moutai is the alcohol I must have tried at least once, but I never did. I tend to regret this at the moment.  

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

@TsekoV , hehe, slurping - can be either eating noodles or drinking soup. You are bringing back memories of my grandparents. Both were slurpers! LOL Us, grandkids, would laugh and have big smiles while they slurped and burped! 

Unfortunately, I am too ABC (American Born Chinese) to do either. Like you, I was raised not to slurp by my ABC mom because Americans don't slurp. As you said, slurping is considered bad table manners.

Also the Japanese slurp their noodles too.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT , interesting that chicken feet was served as an appetizer.   Did it taste like what we ordered during dim sum last October?Caption: Can you see where the Chinese Chicken feet is? Photo: @karenvchinCaption: Can you see where the Chinese Chicken feet is? Photo: @karenvchin

Each of the provinces have different cuisines. Never heard of chicken feet served as an appetizer for a formal dinner or banquet. My family is originally from Guangdong (or Canton), Macau, and now Hong Kong. 

Cheers,

Karen 

@KarenVChin,

This is all so interesting to learn how different cultures use different manners to express what they like or dislike.

Honestly speaking, the one and only fact I still cannot understand why is to see people in China cutting their nails in restaurants. The first time I experienced this I was travelling to another province and decided to enjoy a local dish. While enjoying it, I suddenly heard that familiar sound of cutting nails that we only do at our homes. All other manners I tend to accept and find quite curious.

I have heard, for example, that when drinking alcohol Korean people love to make a specific sound that is a must and by it they express how much they love the drinks. I know that @LilyanaZ lived in Korea for some years. Have you ever heard those local manners?

@ErmesT, eating chicken feet as an appetizer sounds very Asian style dish. I remember I could see that in all shops in China you can buy vacuumed chicken feet as a snack. : ) I have never dared to buy one. A fun thing I remember is one of the times I was coming back to Bulgaria from China, I bought my friends vacuumed smelly tofu. I really loved looking at their faces, hehe.

Here is a photo of me eating scorpions for the first time in my life. Have you ever tried some?

Caption: A photo of me trying fried scorpions on a stick for the first time in Beijing, China. (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A photo of me trying fried scorpions on a stick for the first time in Beijing, China. (Local Guide @TsekoV)

Connect Moderator

@KarenVChin , @TsekoV , I can confirm chicken feet were an appetizer. I was in Xinzheng, a new town in Henan Province, built as an expansion of the ancient Zhengzhou, far away (850 miles) from Hong Kong - Macau.

The chicken feet were very different from the ones we had at dim-sum, but it not surprise me. China is a huge country, with a lot of different variation in term of food preparation, due to different climatic conditions.

About Local Manners, I have been invited as a guest (yes, with a public speech) at May first celebrations in the factory in Changde where I worked for more than one year.

On each table was a large basket with peanuts and oranges. We were keeping on the table the peels, while everyone was trowing the peels on the floor. I wouldn't be able to trow them on the floor, as in my mind the floor have to be clean, while our interpreter was explaining us that "the table" must be clean, not the floor

Level 10

This post is even more interesting than I expected.  

Especially when I found some of the common things that I am doing daily is actually surprising foreigners.

@TsekoV , really didn't expect any foreigners will like smelly tofu and take them home... lol

Besides, cutting nails in public is only happening in China, I don't think it's polite to do so in other Asian countries.

Other than China, anyone can provide more funny facts and manners around the Asia?

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Fine me on Instagram: brett.to.go