Brett's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Tourist 101 - Local Manners

We love travel!  When we travel to other places, we actually step into others living place.  As a good tourist, we always respect and blend into their environment. 

However, we may not know much about others' cultures as we didn't stay in there for long.

What is the local manner in your city? And do you know the history about such act?

Let me share couple of interesting behaviors that happened in Hong Kong.

1. We always stand on the right of the escalator

I think this one is common in different city, but for us, we usually stand on the right, and let others walk on the escalator from the left.

People only stand on the right of the escalatorPeople only stand on the right of the escalator

2. Hong Konger strictly not crossing the red light

Although most of the Hong Kongers are walking really fast, but you will find that no one will cross the street during red light for pedestrian.  That is because crossing the red light will be fined and it's always happen.  With maximum fine of HKD $2000 (USD$255), you better follow the red light!

3. The cup of tea in local restaurant is not for drinking

In most of the low-end restaurants, they always come with cup of tea when you seat down.  But for locals, it's not for drinking, we use it to wash the tablewares.  It's not because the tablewares are not clean, but mostly it make you feel more safe to use their tablewares.

I also shared lot of local manners in local Hong Kong restaurants in the post below.  If you are going to visit Hong Kong, I suggest you take a look before going into local Cha Chaan Teng

Legendary Hong Kong style cafe - Cha Chaan Teng (茶餐廳)

Staff provide tea when you sit down, but it's not for drinkStaff provide tea when you sit down, but it's not for drink

Please share the local manners from your city, so we Local Guides can avoid the trouble.  And I think this is also a respect to local people too.

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Fine me on Instagram: brett.to.go
Hong Kong
21 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Tourist 101 - Local Manners

Hi @Brett

Thanks for these interesting and helpful tips.

1) I think this is the same in most of the cities but many people still do not get it. Maybe in Great Britain they stand on the left when they also drive on the left? Can someone confirm?

2) I personally do cross streets on the red light. Quite many people do it in Europe.

3) This is special. I have never heard of that or saw anything similar. I am pretty sure I would drink the tea so thanks for warning me :).

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Former Google Contributor

Hello @Brett,

Thank you for the tips and the great idea. I will share few of my observations from Korea.

1. When entering a restaurant, take a good look around, whether there are shoes on the floor or a foot lockers by the door, because many places require you to take off your shoes and go bare-feet inside.
  2. Usually you do not leave a tip when paying the bill in the restaurant. However, in some places, there are tip jars you can use for that purpose.
  3. If someone hands you their business card, you should receive it with two hands to show respect.
  4. Try not to be too loud when using public transport, because it is frowned upon.
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

@Brett This will be great for anyone about to visit Hong Kong, thank you for sharing! It's nice to read all about the manners in different cities too.

Here in Buenos Aires most people don't follow the 1st, I do and also try to get people I know to follow it too. Almost everyone follows it when it's time to go to work or leave in areas full of offices, so that's nice. Very few people follow the second manner, we usually look if there are cars coming and if there aren't we just go for it. I personally always look at the traffic lights meant for cars as the ones means for people are a couple of second behind 😬 (on purpose, I know, so I still check for cars as I begin walking)

We don't have nothing like the cup of tea one here, it's really interesting. I can easily see myself drinking it or thinking it was a tea ordered by the previous costumers. If I go to Hong Kong I will know now, thanks again!

Level 7

Here in America, it's only on occasion that people actually abide by the "Right-Hand Rule" for escalators.  I sure wish though that it was used consistently.

Level 10

Hi @VitB  , when I was working in London, people usually with the same escalator etiquette as in Hong Kong, and yes we both with the driver on the right side.  But for Eastern Japan and Singapore, seems people tends to stand on the left.

That's why I am interest to know the which side you choose in your city!

Deep visit of Hong Kong series: Visit Hong Kong 101 | Cha Chaan Teng 茶餐廳 | Cart noodle 車仔麪

Level 10

@LilyanaZ , thanks for your sharing!

I think for 1, 3, 4, it's also common in Japan, and for item 3 it's also common in Hong Kong too.

Level 10

@Jesi , it's awesome to know the more about Argentina.

Do you have know anything that tourist did that annoy people from your city?  Tell me more about, so we can avoid next time.

Level 10

@mapmaker1559 ,  do you know any local manners that's only happen in America?  Or something specifically only in your city?

Level 9

@Brett : In Vancouver, we use the same escalator etiquette as HK and United Kingdom, but we drive on the other side of the road. It can be confusing for some when they visit here! 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!