LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Tips for shooting 360 with your smartphone

A local guide running in an empty stadium while doing 360 photographyA local guide running in an empty stadium while doing 360 photography

Hi all, I wrote something similar in the past, but I would like to resume all the tips here.

We are discussing about how to take great 360 using your smartphone and Street View App.

1) Ensure you have enough battery: if a low battery popup will prompt while shooting you could lose all the progress done

2) Ensure to have enough free archive space and RAM, as stitching phase take a lot of resources; if not, the result could be an incomplete stitching, without any chance to recover

3) Always, always, rotate YOU around the phone (ideally around the lens), and not the phone around you; this will reduce the parallax errors for near objects. You can attach a string to the phone, and attach a weight to this string, pointing the ground; you should keep the weight always in the same position.

4) If you can, avoid near objects (furniture, rocks, etc.): stitching is always critical in these situation. Inside shots are always critical in this way

5) If you can, avoid having moving people around: the result could easily be a disaster of legs and heads all around your pano or duplicates. If you want you can play with duplicates, but try to place each people in just one single shot

6) Avoid excessive contrast in the scene; the stitching process also perform some normalization, resulting in a overall good exposure, but this function could not make miracles

7) Ideally, put your smartphone in airplane mode, before start shooting the photosphere: an incoming phone call or a message could stop the procedure, resulting in an incomplete 360

😎 Last but not least, not all smartphones are suitable for 360 photography, due to the lack of gyroscope or compass; some are simply bad in doing this (i.e. my Google Pixel 2 XL is a disaster, maybe due to the bad compass) and some others are great (like my iphone 7)

I will add other tips as long as I find or remember.

Happy 360 photography, enjoy this smartphone 360!

14 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Tips for shooting 360 with your smartphone

Thanks for sharing these tips with us @LucioV. I will try them as soon as I can 😃

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

iPhone 7 is just awesome in 360 photography 🙂 

I am using the same.

btw, thank you so much for writing all these tips with us.

Level 8

Thanks for sharing. I will be trying this, this week! 🙆🏽‍♀️

Level 9

Wonderful post thank you @LucioV for sharing 

Level 10

Thank you for sharing i'll try....

Aftab Ah
Connect Moderator

Thank you so much for sharing this useful tips @LucioV

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

Level 7

@VBenedict

This article may be of interest to you.

Kind regards,

Ron

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Level 10