AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

This week, let’s celebrate businesses that are helping to save our oceans

An estimated 1.4 billion pounds of trash end up in our oceans every year, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. That trash pollutes our waters and does serious harm to birds, fish, and other marine life.

June 8 is World Oceans Day, an annual observation to honor and conserve our oceans. Events will be held all over the world to inspire people to protect our seas. That said, some restaurants, shops, and other businesses encourage people to be environmentally conscious every day. This week, let’s celebrate those that are leading the charge.

Caption: A photo of the shoreline where sand meets the ocean. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of the shoreline where sand meets the ocean. (Getty Images)
Do you know a shop that only carries products made with reused materials? How about a cafe that makes every effort to encourage people to recycle? As a Local Guide, you can help protect our planet by telling others about eco-friendly businesses in your area.

Now that you can search keywords and phrases in reviews on Google Maps, it’s easier than ever for people to find places that support their interests. For example, including words like “eco-friendly” and “green” in your reviews can help others discover businesses that believe in sustainability.

Need some inspiration to get started? Here are a few examples of what to look for.

1. There’s no single-use plastic in sight.

Single-use plastics are designed to be used only once before they’re thrown away. Products like plastic straws and condiment packets may be more convenient for us, but they’re part of the massive amounts of trash that pollute our waters.

Caption: A photo of a variety of condiments in glass jars on a counter. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a variety of condiments in glass jars on a counter. (Getty Images)

Share photos of a cafe that doesn't use plastic straws. Or a shop that requires customers to bring reusable bags.

2. They buy local.

Businesses that buy local goods use less fuel to transport their materials than those who buy from other states or countries. They also often require less packaging. That means less waste ends up in our oceans.

Caption: A photo of a variety of artisanal breads on display. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a variety of artisanal breads on display. (Getty Images)

Review a store that sells products made by members of the community. Or a restaurant that only uses locally sourced ingredients. Don’t forget to use keywords such as “environmental" or “sustainable" to help others easily find these important details.

3. They reward customers for recycling.

Some businesses provide extra incentives for customers to reduce waste. As a result, they help to raise awareness about the importance of conservation and encourage people to recycle more consistently.

Caption: A photo of a green travel mug in a person’s hand at a coffee shop. (Getty Images)Caption: A photo of a green travel mug in a person’s hand at a coffee shop. (Getty Images)
Spread the word on social media about a coffee shop that gives customers a discount for bringing their own cups. Or a company that has a recycling rewards program.

These are just a few of the many ways businesses can reduce their negative impact on the environment. Are you an eco-friendly shopper? Give other Local Guides tips in the comments on how to be more environmentally conscious in their neighborhoods.

97 comments
Level 10

Re: This week, let’s celebrate businesses that are helping to save our oceans

Hi @AriMar

As my job is related to the environment,I love to go and visit place,who really cares about environment,

It's a good topic to find eco friendly products places ,cafes  and restaurants,I have mentioned somewhere,that in Malaysia every Saturday and Sunday,it's ban on plastic bags,if someone really need plastic bag,he or she have to pay for that ,

Thanks for sharing

Have a great time

Level 10

Good tips to add to our reviews using those key words eco friendly and green.🏞🌍

Thanks @AriMar 😀

Connect Moderator

Today, June 5, is the "World Environment Day", an important date for a global awareness, a day in which I am very proud to say that I am a Local Guide

Local guides are celebrating this day almost everyday, with the global event Local Guides clean the world - A Local Guides project

Here, Thanks to @DavidTito, the maps of what Local Guides have already done

Thanks again for this post, and thanks to everyone that is caring about environement

Ermes

Level 8

Please to meet you @AriMar as @ErmesT has spoken on behalf and I bless him together we upholding well and according to my My maps Status al countries that participated they have covered and cleaned approx 9 square klms of rubbish but this number is increasing every day.

And my kindest regards from Perth Western Australia     

Level 8

It's a shame there are huge floating islands of plastic and other trash in our oceans. 

Level 10

@AriMar

As today 5th June is World Environment Day, it's very thinkful topic started by you for world ocean day on 8th June.

We all must have to make the ocen clean to save the fish birds and all ocenic living creatures.

Also very good ides of shop with recycle plastic.

Also use of your own cup for coffee.

Nice idea of recycle for go-green.

We have to save nature for us and fir the generation to come.

I am ecofriendly and always love to save environment.

Thanks.

BM63
Level 10

@AkmalB

Nice idea to reduce use of plastic bags.

Thanks.

BM63
Level 10

@ErmesT

Very well said that we as a LG should always celebrate it everyday for well-being of nature as you celebrate it as LGCTW program.

Thanks.

BM63
Level 10

@DavidTito

Nice to heard this. 

Thanks.

Here in Mumbai,India the same project started last year.

They have removed tonnes of garbage and you can see the difference of Versova beach after efforts of 85 weeks.

Hats of to Mr. Arfroze Shah - Environmentlist.

Pl see this link.

Cortsey - The Wire

https://thewire.in/environment/mumbais-versova-shore-transformed-due-worlds-largest-beach-cleanup-lo...

BM63