AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

This Local Guide exclusively reviews onion rings on Maps

Caption: A photo of Local Guide Tyler Groenendal holding up a bowl of onion rings in one hand and pointing to it with other at a table at Graydon’s Crossing in Grand Rapids, Michigan. (Brian Kelly)Caption: A photo of Local Guide Tyler Groenendal holding up a bowl of onion rings in one hand and pointing to it with other at a table at Graydon’s Crossing in Grand Rapids, Michigan. (Brian Kelly)

Tyler Groenendal has written nearly 50 reviews about one thing and one thing only: onion rings. The Michigan-based Local Guide has developed a theory he calls the “Onion Ring Standard.”

The theory goes that onion rings are simple, and easy to cheap out oneither in quality of ingredients or prep timeand still be passable, from the perspective of most people,” he told us. “However, if a restaurant goes to the trouble of hand-making onion rings, in a quality way with quality ingredients, it's indicative as to the effort they put into the rest of the menu.”

Caption: An image that shows a photo of Local Guide  Tyler Groenendal holding up onion rings next to a quote from one of his reviews about onion rings on Google Maps surrounded by illustrations of onion rings.Caption: An image that shows a photo of Local Guide Tyler Groenendal holding up onion rings next to a quote from one of his reviews about onion rings on Google Maps surrounded by illustrations of onion rings.

We spoke to Tyler over on Google’s blog, The Keyword, about his passion for onion rings and his tips for writing helpful food reviews.

Here’s an excerpt:

What information do you think is important to include in your reviews of onion rings?

I review based on four broad categories.

1. Presentation and appearance—takes into account the plating, the quality of the batter, the color and so on.
  2. Taste—looks at the overall taste of the onion itself, the breading or batter, and any accompanying dipping sauce.
  3. Texture—looks at the overall mouthfeel, the crunchiness of the batter, the mushiness of the onions, and so on. This category also accounts for overall structural integrity.
  4. Value—Given the quality and quantity of the onion rings, and the price I paid for them, does it match up to be a good value?

Finally, a picture of the onion rings, as they look when they arrive, plated, at my table, is essential.

What do you look for in the perfect onion ring?

Generally speaking, though not exclusively, a perfect onion ring will consist of a thickly cut onion (both tall and wide), a consistent beer battering or more traditional breading, with both the onion and batter fried to an optimal texture and color. That is, they aren't overdone, the onions aren't mushy or too raw, the batter is cooked through, but not burned and the parts aren't separable. Separability of parts is the biggest plague in the world of onion rings today.

What do great onion rings tell you about the restaurant you ordered them from?

Essentially, great onion rings tell me that the restaurant puts time and care into even the most mundane dishes. I view onion rings as a proxy for the quality of any given restaurant.

Read more about Tyler and his onion ring expertise on The Keyword.

Do you have a favorite food you love to review? Tell us in the comments below!

23 comments
Level 4

Re: This Local Guide exclusively reviews onion rings on Maps

Were is it ?

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much for that fantastic post, @AriMar

I never tried onion rings here, because still can't find it as a dish here in restaurants. 

Yes I reviewed some traditional foods from Pakistan , like Biryani and Balochi fish/chicken Tikka

And in Google maps I reviewed hundreds of restaurants but now I m trying to write review on specific traditional dishes from Pakistan. And soon you will see here 🙂

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 9

Onion rings! Sounds great, looks taste food @AriMar

Thank you for sharing with us.

Level 10

Rif.: This Local Guide exclusively reviews onion rings on Maps

Level 10

Betreff: This Local Guide exclusively reviews onion rings on Maps

Is this for real? Or comedy?

Anyhow, pretty cool! 

Level 10

Life goal achieved

Level 8

Wow it's really amazing when someone pursues their niche hobbies with passion. i love fried chicken and coke but i guess that would be much of a health hazard for me if i constantly do it XD

Level 10

Level 10

That's so interesting! I don't think Onion rings can be considered a full meal, certainly as a condiment or a snack. And that's what make this interest so special. It's so unique. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. 😊