AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

This Local Guide celebrates the friendlier side of fine dining

Caption: A collage of images including a photo of Local Guide Courtney Brandt as well as food photos she’s shared on Google Maps.Caption: A collage of images including a photo of Local Guide Courtney Brandt as well as food photos she’s shared on Google Maps.

Local Guides Spotlight is a Connect series that celebrates members of our community who are making a positive impact.

Local Guide Courtney Brandt (@cbrandtwrightis an American expat, author, and food blogger currently living in Dubai. When she’s not sharing her experiences at restaurants on Google Maps, Courtney writes about great places to eat and stay on her blog, A to Za'atar.

The idea for the blog came out of a trip to Noma, a fine dining Scandinavian restaurant that has topped the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list four times. “Every person we interacted with was down to earth and easy to communicate with. I walked away thinking that fine dining should always be this accessible,” Courtney said. “No one should feel that they don't deserve to eat in the best restaurants in the world. Thus, A to Za'atar has always meant to be a place to talk about food and dining in a way that would make people feel comfortable.”

Through her beautiful food photos and reviews, Courtney helps to inspire others on Maps to try fine dining experiences as well as more affordable but equally great options. We caught up with her to learn more about her experiences as a Local Guide.

Caption: A photo of a round, black table filled with different dishes in bowls, plates, and a cutting board from Ruya Dubai, a restaurant in Dubai.Caption: A photo of a round, black table filled with different dishes in bowls, plates, and a cutting board from Ruya Dubai, a restaurant in Dubai.

When did you join Local Guides? What inspired you to sign up?

I realized I had a ton of photos and really, they weren’t reaching enough people. I’m not sure why it finally occurred to me that I could easily upload the images to Google Maps, but when it finally did, I was hooked! Watching as my photos started to get traction has been so inspiring.

What has your experience as a Local Guide been like so far?

So rewarding! As a food writer, I’m often invited to restaurants before anyone else. Putting the very first photos up for a property is always something I’m proud of. Also, as a user, I love the sense of community. Unlike other platforms, Local Guides is genuine.

What is your favorite way to contribute on Google Maps and how often do you contribute?

As you might have guessed, it’s all about the photos for me. I contribute on a minimum at least once a week, and quite a bit more if I’m traveling. I try to include a range of photosclose up shots of food, as well as interior and exterior shots of venues. For reviews, I tend to only leave recommendations for places in the community that are my favorite, or have provided exemplary service.

Caption: A photo of a bowl of noodles with chopped scallions from Bā Restaurant & Lounge, a Chinese restaurant in Dubai. (Local Guide Courtney Brandt)Caption: A photo of a bowl of noodles with chopped scallions from Bā Restaurant & Lounge, a Chinese restaurant in Dubai. (Local Guide Courtney Brandt)

You often share food photos at restaurants you’ve been to on Google Maps. How do you hope your contributions will make a positive impact for others who see them?

Great question! I’m a visual person, so I can understand how others want to make dining decisions based not only on reviews, but also on what the restaurant looks like, or what the menu might offer. After all, dining out is an additional expense, and potential diners should have all the details necessary to make an informed decision.

What do you think are some of the best restaurants in your area? (If you've created a list, could you share that with us, too?)

Dubai is home to so many unique restaurants! As a mainly expatriate population, we’ve got cuisines from all over the world. However, I've got a few all-time faves. BOCA or BB are a must if you're in DIFC, Weslodge if you're looking for a view, and Folly by Nick and Scott for an all around great evening--whether for drinks and snacks, or dinner and excellent service. Cabin, in Barsha South, is a reliable cafe that is well priced, and for pizza, I go to locally grown Pitfire Pizza in JLT. If you’re in Abu Dhabi, it's either Butcher & Still for steak, or seafood at Catch, no question.

Caption: A photo of two tacos on a wooden board from Toro Toro, a Latin American restaurant in Abu Dhabi. (Local Guide Courtney Brandt)Caption: A photo of two tacos on a wooden board from Toro Toro, a Latin American restaurant in Abu Dhabi. (Local Guide Courtney Brandt)

You take great food photos! What is your best tip for taking an amazing photo of a dish?

Thank you! I think the most important thing to consider is lighting. There is a lot that can be done in post-production, but making sure you’re starting in the best possible place to capture what a kitchen has worked so hard to produce is important. I’ve been known to scan a restaurant for the best seat (by a window!), or force my husband to switch seats quite a few times. As a lifehack, try bringing along a selfie light for restaurants with low lightingmy Lumee [light-up phone case] has saved me on countless occasions!

What advice do you have for other Local Guides who are looking to write more helpful reviews?

Be honest, but don’t be mean. For example, when I have a disappointing experience at a venue, I either give feedback directly or try to approach the review with actionable items. The Dubai food and beverage market is wildly competitive, and really, sometimes there are small things restaurants can do to make changes. As an author (who does sometimes receive negative reviews), I know how sensitive critical feedback can be. The best places will take the time to read my reviews and often reach out to invite me back or inquire for more in-depth evaluation. At the end of the day, dining is a very subjective experience. I always attempt to support my critiques with specific examples and ways to improve.

We hope you enjoyed learning more about Courtney! What are some of the best restaurants in your area? Tell us in the comments below.

14 comments
Level 6

Re: This Local Guide celebrates the friendlier side of fine dining

I enjoyed this read, thanks!

The phone protector with an attached light is brilliant! I had not thought of that technique before reading this article; had I, there's many times that this idea would have came in handy!

Thanks for sharing! My craving for food just rose a quality standard by reading this 😅🙋‍♂️ 

Well written & great story! 

M.J. Copley IV

Level 8

Thank you so much for interviewing me!  I'm still taking lots of pictures and love sharing them with the community.

Courtney Brandt
Connect Moderator

@AriMar  This is a great post ever. Experience sharing is a great way to learn a lot of things. I like this way to introducing other experts with their activities...

prawn ball in Sung Garden ...prawn ball in Sung Garden ...

Keep sharing ..

Happy Guiding!

Level 8

Those look super tasty!!

Courtney Brandt
Connect Moderator

So enthused to see @cbrandtwright featured! A true Local Guides star and one of the most passionate people you'll ever meet. Was such a pleasure meeting her at Connect Live 2018 - very down to Earth and honest. Loved learning more about you and your journey!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

Aww - thank you!  Loved meeting you as well, and definitely hope our paths cross again in 2019.  I've had so much fun using the 360 camera in new restaurants - the views are always unique.

Courtney Brandt
Level 9

Look very tasty ...........

Level 9

Nice post @AriMar thank you for sharing with us.. 

Level 9

Nice journey as local guide @cbrandtwright reading your interview we learned a lot...keep going on .